1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering going to Gunsite for a class and I think that is a good excuse to buy another 1911. I would like your valued opinions on which gun would be the best to buy. This is definitely going to be a using gun, but probably won't be a primary carry gun. I don't really care if its a work of art or a thing of beauty, I just want it to be reasonably accurate and absolutely reliable.

Criteria -

5"
Steel Frame
Combat Sights
Excellent Trigger
Absolute Reliability

I don't want to buy a gun that I have to send off and have work done to it to make it reliable.

I've been considering a Kimber SIS or a Springfield TRP, but honestly for the money those guns cost I'd probably just get another Les Baer or Wilson Combat for a few extra bucks.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
850 Posts
TRP but you never know for sure about the reliability or the trigger until you've shot it. I's definitely stay away from the Kimber. Too much bad press in the last year.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Try a SA Loaded or Loaded Operator.

This is mine.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Depends on how you define as "Best" for the Money

You failed to specify a budget envelope.

As well as what do you mean by "Tactical" is this
defined by exterior finish? or function for Gunsite exercises
or what?

For some of the guns you are mentioning one could buy
two RIA 1911 Tactical models break them in 500 rds each
and go to Gunsite with a backup gun.

IN order to Understand the answer
you have to understand the question Douglas F. Adams

Randall

·
Registered
69 Posts
The Springfield 1911s are very nice, and I would have gotten one...but I didn't want to pay $1500+ for a TRP or Loaded Operator. I got the Kimber Custom TLE/RL II, and have absolutely no regrets about it. The TLE stands for "Tactical Law Enforcement" and the RL just means it has a light rail on it. I paid a hair over $1000, brand new from Kimber, and not one issue with the gun. It shoots beautifully. It also comes with Meprolight night sights on it, which are really nice.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I bought my Loaded Operator for $900 used. It had very few rounds through it. If the rail isn't needed the Loaded Model is an awesome buy in my opinion.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have two Springfield Loadeds.

5” SS $700.00 new 3 years ago. 1200 rounds so far.

5” Parked $879.00 3 weeks ago. 200 rounds so far.

Both reliable, both more accurate than I am, both are going to get new strong side only thumb safeties (personal preference).

Would I buy another Springfield? Yup and it would be a Loaded, not a TRP. I just do not see enough benefit to the TRP over the Loaded to spend the additional $$. If I wanted to go better than the Loaded then I would go up to a Springfield Pro, or a Les Baer or a Wilson Combat.

The other option would be to get a lower end like the Springfield Mil Spec and then have the hammer “bobbed” for hammer bite, the thumb safety changed and possibly the trigger done. But this would require either some talent or a good gunsmith. You already said that you didn’t want to send it out so this is probably not your best solution.

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
I bought my Loaded Operator for $900 used. It had very few rounds through it. If the rail isn't needed the Loaded Model is an awesome buy in my opinion.
+1

I have a Loaded MC operator that's been a dream of a pistol. I have nothing against Les Baer or Wilson, but if you go with a TRP (whether operator or not is a different discussion, I suppose), you'll get an absolutely reliable gun with a good company backing it up, and the money saved can go towards more ammo. :rock:

·
Registered
466 Posts
If you REALLY want to be tactical my advice is. Join the military :p. I get to feel tactical all the time when I wear my "tactical pants" and "tactical shirt" and carry the "tactical" M4. Just my $.02 (FWIW I just got back from the bar and am sick of dealing with idiot college kids so my fuse may be set to "detonation upon ignition"). But in all honesty, why want to be "tactical" when you don't have to be?

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
I am very fond of Ed Brown 1911s and I attend on average two gun schools a year.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
The term "tactical" simply means some one who uses tactics or takes advantage of a situation involving tactics. It is correct. Those who "over use" the term are not as bad as those who decry it at every step. Saying you want a "tactical" 1911 is good to go. It is simply a tool that may be used in a tactical situation.
Although the term IS over used, it does not mean it is not used in the right spot. You do not have to be a GI or LEO to introduce, use or take advantage of tactics.
If the pistol is intended for SD or HD, it being "tactical" is relevant by it's very definition. If the term bothers you or you attach it to mall ninjas, that is due to your misunderstanding of the term, it's meaning and its importance.
Sorry, but we seem to be enjoying "reverse elitism". It freaks me out more then elitism it's self. These are the guys that state that "you don't have to hang all that stuff on your AR" and "I don't want bells and whistles on my 1911." I'd just call it adding to my efficacy and increasing my probability of achieving my desired out come.

If you want a "tactical" 1911, preach it brother. Get the best one you can afford. If you can't afford the one you want, save up until you can.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
...I'd probably just get another Les Baer or Wilson Combat for a few extra bucks.

What do you guys think?
If you already have a Baer or Wilson, I'd use that.

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
my (time-constrained?) "Best"

1) Springfield Armory TRP (available locally under $1350)

If time is no issue, I suggest something 'Tactical' from Rock River Arms (although it is possible to find them on the shelf).

I, too, wonder why one doesn't use a gun already in the arsenal.........

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the responses guys.

The Springfield Loaded model seems to be a good gun for the money. I will give some thought to that one.

Let me clarify - I do not currently own a Les Baer or a Wilson but I have owned both in the past.

My current 1911's are both Kimbers.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys. The Springfield Loaded model seems to be a good gun for the money. I will give some thought to that one. Let me clarify - I do not currently own a Les Baer or a Wilson but I have owned both in the past. My current 1911's are both Kimbers.
Also owned a Wilson, but sold it as I had to move back from a lot of .45 shooting (arm problems) and I don't keep a gun I can't shoot a lot. I still have two .45's but both are used for a bunch of .22 conversion shooting at this point it time.

Next to the Wilson the Springer TRP was my best in hand shooter in .45. A workhorse and nasty accurate as well.

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
backup 1911

Best value is the Taurus PT11....new about $650. Very reliable, well made and accurate. With such a low initial investment, you could always use it as a basic platform if you want to send it to a custom gunmaker at a later date.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
SA TRP, IMO its a "workin man's" Wilson, Brown, Hawk, ect. You really have to know your 1911's to tell the difference...and then you would have to care enough to spend the extra money.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts