1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old gun that has a bit of surface rust. I'm looking into my options. The gun is a sig 226 and I believe the slide is carbon steel and the frame is some type of alloy, so I'm not sure what my options will be. I do plan on keeping the gun so I may have it coated somewhere. any feed back will help! thanks

·
Registered
691 Posts
I keep a slew of silica gel packs in my gun safe to kill any humidity. Aside from that, a good layer of gun oil goes a long way. These will only prevent future rust, and only during storage.

------------------
-Electric Armadillo-

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'l add this question, have any of you used wax to protect the finish? I ve heard you can clean the gun and wax it with car wax to protect the finish. any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I understand that there are a number of well-qualified "gun gurus" who will say you should keep your WD-40 at least 40 feet away from your guns, but ...

I've managed to get a significant amount of surface rust off tools by soaking the rusted area with WD-40 for a couple of days, then drying/rubbing the rusted area with a cotton cloth. This won't remove all the rust, nor will it remove the discoloration, but it will help. (And it arrests further rust, in my experience.)

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts