1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Must chamber the .45acp round.

What's the lightest 1911 based auto pistol available today? (If it matters, fully loaded weight please.)

Thanks.

·
Registered
381 Posts
45 Bart,

Full size, or compact? The new Kimber Tactical Custom II is a full size 1911 at about 30 oz.'s. It has an aluminum frame, and is the lightest full-sized 1911 I've ever handled.

Larry C.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Don't have mine with me, so I had to pull from the Kimber and Wilson spec sheets.
I'm partial to the 10-rounders, and my choices were the KZ 45c and the Kimber UT II. I know there are detractors concerned about short-barrel velocities, but I wanted the smallest-sized auto with the biggest punch in its' size class. The KZ Compact weighs 35 oz empty, and the UT II is spec'd at 24 oz. (that's twenty-four!) unloaded (no 'loaded' specs). For such a small gun, it handles very well; not unlike an HK USP 45c, and as much badmouthing as it got during its' initial sales, mine has been flawless.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, Thanks for the replies. The Paras are double action, really want a traditional single action.

What I am hoping for is a very small, aluminum framed 5-6 round 1911 based .45 Something that can be carried in a very small pouch and not "seem" like the heft of a pistol is inside.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Look at the Springfield Micro Compact. I think it is around 25 oz. Some people report feeding problems with the small 45s though.

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Don't have the weight on it yet, but my guess is that the new SC1911 (S&W Commander) with a Scandium frame will be among the lightest as well as the strongest lightweights in 45ACP.

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
507 Posts
I believe that the 3" barrelled Kimber Ultra Carry with aluminum frame is the lightest currently available.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Looks like lots of choices around 25 oz or less.

The plastic framed ones aren't much lighter than alloy-framed ones, I guess due to the metal inserts in the plastic.

Nobody has yet mentioned the Titanium one from SVI, amazingly, the full-size is listed as 28 oz!

There is also a compact, called the Tiki, but the weight isn't listed.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Colt Commander XSE LW. 26oz empty.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
Bart --

Rather than fumbling in a fanny pack for a cocked and locked conventional M1911 pistol (of any size) I'd rather fumble for the Para Ordnance LDA (or several other designs).

Drawing from a holster is easy to drop the safety to FIRE on a standard M1911, but not so when you're feeling around for it. In addition the short trigger pull of the M1911 can be a liability here.

The Para Ordnance LDA system only requires you to find the trigger. The LDA grip safety locks the hammer (rather than the trigger on a M1911) so you can leave it OFF. The SIG P220 dispenses with all manual safeties other than your finger..

You can get your choice of cocked and locked/safe or DA first shot with the HK USP 45 Compact, Taurus M945 (a highly underrated pistol), and Taurus M145 among others.

Holster draw I'm confortable cocked and locked. Fumble draw..... not!

-- Chuck

·
Registered
46 Posts
They don't make 'em anymore, but you can still find them for sale -- Star PD. 4" bbl, aluminum frame, same size as Colt's Officer's model. I don't remember the weight, but it's not much heavier than my 442 Airweight.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Light 45

I have a Kimber Pro CDP 25 oz's carry everyday got to where I don't know I have it on. Para makes a light one but like said before if you are carring a 45 why would you want a double action.

·
Registered
972 Posts
The Wilson KZ-45 Compact is not "35 oz empty". It is 29 oz empty and 37 oz loaded.

The lightest 1911 based 45 I know of is the Kimber RCP. It is a chopped and melted 25 oz if my info is accurate. Down side is no sights, just a groove in the slide.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I'm not sure about the loaded weight of my Ultra CDP II with 8 rounds, but it's pretty darn light (advertised weight unloaded is 25oz). The frame is aluminum. Use the regular 6 round commander mags and you'll save a bit more weight and the mags will fit flush in the well.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Colt Defender. 22.5 oz empty. Carries 8 rounds. More accurate than I'll ever be. Easy to conceal. As far as I know, it's the lightest 1911 design on the market.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts