1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for ideas. What is the most interesting IDPA prop that you've ever seen? In particular, I'm looking for something that can be accquired or built by a handful of folks. How was it used in a stage?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
We had a toilet stage at our range once. The scenario was that you were at a rest stop on the interstate, and get jumped by some robbers. We had you start sitting on the "throne" with a baggy pair of pants down around your ankles(your pants are on, of course). Your blaster was on a shelf beside you. On the signal you had to stand up, pull up your pants, retreive you blaster and go to work. All you need is a toilet bowl or bucket, a shelf, and two barricades positioned like a bathroom stall. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
21,912 Posts
An old car is very handy. There are all manner of locations in and around a car that you might realistically be assaulted in and have to defend.

·
Registered
61 Posts
A wall with a door in it is very useful. Especially if there is a way to activate targets based on the movement of the door.

We used one in our state match this year http://www.parmarng.org. Click on [Photos] then the link for the state match. Stage 9 shows the door, Stage 1 shows a vehicle, Stage 2 shows a ticket sales window and a plywood pickup, Stage 8 shows a skateboard mover. There is also video.

Ken Reed
"You are what you do, everything else is just talk."

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,215 Posts
We did the restroom stall stage, but had the shooters legs wrapped with a bungee cord, to simulate the dropped pants.
We used to have a 6'x4' platform that was suspended, by wires, from a surrounding frame. Bungee cords helped limit/damp the movement. We used it as a boat, and as a window washing platform, at various matches.
We've done a couple of "bad guys come knocking" stages, with either "frosted glass" (translucent plastic sheet) or a peephole in or flanking the door. In the former, you get a distorted view of the targets' locations, and with the latter, you have only your mind's eye memory of where the targets were as you engage them through the door.
Shooting fram a moving vehicle is always fun.
A stationary vehicle is a great prop, too. I wanted to look for a mini pickup cab, to mount on a dolly that could be easily rolled around the range, but without having to park a complete vehicle at the range.

·
Registered
61 Posts
cenglish said:
I like the skateboard mover. How bad did the wooden rail get shot up?
I didn't take any rounds. The dogs were 4 feet from the track on either side. I made this mover in 2000 and it hasn't taken a round yet. The person that sets it up has to be mindful that the track and launcher are down range and work out the angles/height of the target.

Ken Reed
"You are what you do, everything else is just talk."

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been thinking about the bathroom stage for months now. My idea was to use a shortened hoola hoop that the shooter had to pick up and carry (his pants). And I thought this was a novel idea! Looks like you guys beat me to the... flush.

·
Registered
350 Posts
We've got about a 50 or 60 lbs dummy that we've had guys tote around and shoot while holding....

That can be interesting.....

·
Registered
144 Posts
The Schoolbus they had at The Range in NC was pretty cool.

Melissa :)

·
Registered
15,320 Posts
the most realistic stage I've ever shot

A 'railroad' cart with the target wearing a shirt; shooter 21 ft away holding rope in striong hand; pulling the rope started the cart down the track towards shooter at a 'running' pace; draw and engage with six rds........

Talk about what it's like to be attacked!

So I pummeled the circle with six 210g LSWC's from my 41 AE. Quick. Whew!

·
Registered
61 Posts
freeidaho said:
A wall with a door in it is very useful. Especially if there is a way to activate targets based on the movement of the door.

We used one in our state match this year http://www.parmarng.org. Click on [Photos] then the link for the state match. Stage 9 shows the door, Stage 1 shows a vehicle, Stage 2 shows a ticket sales window and a plywood pickup, Stage 8 shows a skateboard mover. There is also video.
Noticed last night that the video of the match had moved. So if you tried to watch the video and got the dreaded 404 error, the link is now fixed. Sorry.

Ken Reed

·
Registered
340 Posts
cenglish said:
I'm looking for ideas. What is the most interesting IDPA prop that you've ever seen? In particular, I'm looking for something that can be accquired or built by a handful of folks. How was it used in a stage?
Props that I have designed into stages:
  • Blue gun
  • Armor panels in a soft brief case that the shooter had to use to protect his a-zone.
  • Personal knives - folding/fixed , the competitor had to stab a target and left the penetrated knife inside the torso before drawing and completeing the stage.
  • A Fragmentary grenade (inert, of course) , lots of folks tried tossing that thing witht the weak hand and ended up throwing like little school girls :biglaugh:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Indiana state had this one

you where a marshal t1 was to your left, t2 was in front behind the cockpit, three rounds each, advance to the window to your right, hit a popper which activated a swinger, three rounds while retreating

·
Registered
350 Posts
The dummy was homemade.....ever try reloading a gun with a dummy on your shoulder,,,,,and shoot holding that weight,,,,,adds stress.....

·
Registered
144 Posts
Always hate the dummy drag stages. Not many people I'd drag under fire, and usually the COF describes one of the people I wouldn't.

I know it would likely be a match DQ and probably worse, but I've always had a nasty fantasy of just shooting the dummy execution style in one of those stages. I will never do it, but it does give me an odd grin while dragging those dummies about. :)

Ted Murphy
(on Melissa's Computer)

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Somewhat dummy related-
I like the few times I've shot with dummy babies/kids. I'm a stay-at-home Dad, and have at least one of our kids, if not both with me at all times. So, carrying a kid through a stage helps replicate almost any scenario I would be in.
Doing it right, and picking up the "kid" like I really would, then keeping it shielded by my body is good practice. It's shown me a fault or two in what I had planned.

It's sort of a prop....
Another thing I liked was a "wild dog" stage at a match I attended. For one thing, wild dogs aren't uncommon around here. Many are actually "Coy-Dogs"- part Coyote, part Dog.
Anyway- To get "dogs", they just put regular targets up horizontally. Believe it or not, people who had never shot on horizontal targets got messed up and shot high or low. Something about losing all normal points of reference, I guess.
Come to think of it, thatw as a "rescue the kid" stage also. Go into a pen with three or four wild dogs, get the kid, and carry it to safety as you shot other wild dogs.
You can't get much more simpler than putting targets up sideways.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You've asked for props ...

but if you are taking suggestions on targets, I like the drop turners and I like the idea of swingers with limited engagement zones.

I don't like heavy dummies as it differentiates shooters on strength. Small dolls are a better idea (and less likely to get executed by Melissa :) )

I like reactive targets too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts