1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your choice for the "Perfect Pocket Gun"? This would be carried in the front pocket of dress slacks or chino's (ie Dockers).

Ideally this gun should be:
Small (3" barrel?)
Thin profile for concealment
Light (under 30 oz)
Melted/snag free
Combat sights (night sites?)
Powerful caliber (.45, 10mm, 357sig?)
As many rounds as possible without compromising "thin profile"
Accuracy (although nice) need not be perfect as any shot would be made at close range.
100% RELIABLE!!

I have been considering the Kimber Ultra CDP.

And why doesn't Wilson or Les Baer make a "Sub-Compact"?

------------------
"NULLUM VINUM FLACCIDUM"

·
Registered
155 Posts
Since I have a Colt Defender, my vote would go in that direction. I haven`t any experience with Kimber`s so really can`t comment on them. My Defender has been very reliable with only 1 jam which I think I did by "limp wristing" when new. I also have a concealed carry permit and normally carry the Defender, weather permitting. (Summertime is shorts / t-shirt weather here in hot, humid South Carolina) Winter is perfect for carrying the Defender as even a light jacket will completely hide the gun. Nice forum, by the way, as this is my first post here. I`m new to .45`s so I may be frequently asking questions so please bear with me.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Defender in the front pocket?? You guys got bigger pockets than I do!! I don't know of any of the caliber choices you gave that would fit in a front pocket of dress slacks. But I sure don't know everything!!

[This message has been edited by 173abn (edited 10-15-2001).]

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Off hand I can think of only two or three. A pocket gun (in my mind) should be able to be fired more than once FROM WITHIN THE POCKET, and that leaves the various S&W J-frames (hammerless or shrouded hammer) or something like the NAA mini single action .22.

For us scrawney guys even a light weight j-frame is marginal for discrete concealment in the front pocket of dress slacks. Some of the polly framed .32 ACP's would probably do, but, unless you're very lucky, they're only good for one shot from a pants/jacket pocket.

If you expect to have to fire more than one shot from a pocket, then (as far as I know) the hammerless or shrouded J-frames - or clones are it. If you anticipate drawing the weapon for the first shot - then I'd recommend other guns and a good holster.

YMMV

------------------
Jim Fox

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I have a few Sig 230s I use.They're a bit tricky to draw,but fit nicely.Have to watch the way you stand with the stainless.It's heavy and will print if the front of pant leg can't hang off your leg.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Since the size of the pocket and the weight of the material in dress/casual slacks will vary, a Kahr P9 or an airweight .38 snub gun should suffice. Also would recommend a Glock 26/27 if it "fits" your manner of dress.

My choice? A Kahr P9.

·
Registered
27,705 Posts
9mm or .38 +P at the minimium unless you are sure of hitting an eye socket. I am sure you can kill people with a .32, .22 or .380 but you don't kill them very fast. Be a b!tch to get killed by the goblin while he is bleeding to death from your little bullets. You need to make a choice, do you want to be comfortable or do you want to be able to defend yourself and your family.

------------------
"Even the most normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats"
Mencken

·
Registered
46 Posts
Glock 26. IMHO I would not want to carry cocked and locked in my front pocket. There are a few good holsters for the G26. I have even carried the G30 in my front pocket but I kept walking in circle.
Michael

·
Registered
155 Posts
173abn, you`re absolutely right. The Defender or Kimber would be too large for front pocket carry unless you dress like the kids today with pants that are 3 sizes too big and hang down past their butts. My reply got a bit off topic with me forgetting the front pocket question.
Most of the so called "mouse guns" today would fit his above criteria excepting the caliber of .45, 10mm or .357 sig. Now the discussion moves to an academic one concerning whether a .32 or .380 is "big" enough to depend on. Personally, while I do sometimes carry a Kel-Tec P-32 in the summer, I`d much rather have my Defender on. Here, in SC, if you`re going to carry in the summer, you`d better be an average to large individual to be better able to conceal anything larger than most "mouse guns". So it all boils down to compromise. If you carry a smaller caliber gun for convenience sake, you`d better be proficient with it since shot placement will be very critical.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Your "100% Reliable" criteria eliminates any pistol, especially those small enough to be considered "pocket". I know "wheel-guns ain't cool" but you best be looking at a good S&W J-frame .38/.357. IMHO, of course!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all your ideas. Send more.

I also find myself questioning the power of the most of the sub-compact calibers.

My thoughts lead me to these;

NAA Guardian .380ACP http://www.colt380.com/guardian.htm

Kahr KPS4043A http://www.kahr.com/pistols_40sw.html

Kel-Tec P.32 (do they still make a P.40?) http://www.kel-tec.com/prod02.htm

Fortunately, (for this purpose), I'm XXL 6'2", 310#. I usually can conceal any handgun.

But (I assume), many people in the office (or retail store) situation arn't wearing an untucked shirt or a blazer that would usually provide cover.

An ankle gun? I probably fall over (or worse) trying to get it out in a hurry.
But, a hand casually in the front pocket (with thumb on the safety) would not be too conspicuous.

I’m still surprised that there aren’t more options for a high caliber sub-compact. I would gladly give up a few rounds of capacity, if a quality company would produce a .45 that meets these specs. Imagine a single stack Para-Ordinance P5.45RR.
If 5 rounds of .45 won’t do the trick, I doubt 10 rounds of 9mm would either.

All you gun makers out there; MAKE ONE! I can guarantee at least a few sales if not thousands. It would seem many people are in this similar situation.

As for the "wheel gun", I would consider it, if not for the thickness of the wheel. And I do love an auto.

------------------
"NULLUM VINUM FLACCIDUM"

[This message has been edited by Shinglekill (edited 10-16-2001).]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Apparently Kel-Tec does not advertise it, but you can still order the P-40. Even in jogging shorts it doesn't pull that pants down.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Originally posted by 173abn:
Defender in the front pocket?? You guys got bigger pockets than I do!! I don't know of any of the caliber choices you gave that would fit in a front pocket of dress slacks. But I sure don't know everything!!

My Defender fits, although it is kinda large. I have been carrying a Glock 27 in a pocket holster in my front pocket for a year now with no problems. I wear khakis every day to work. That small, 2 finger grip does have it's advantages. Shane

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After a little research I just had to add this one.
(Thanks JimFox, RUSS45 & Dogwhisperer5)

Although it does not fit to this forum, I am leaning towords the; S&W 340PD

S&W 357 Magnum, snubnose, 5 shot, Internal hammer, Scandium Alloy Frame, Barrel Shroud and Yoke; Titanium Cylinder AND 12 OUNCES!

I know they kick like a mule and would not make a very pleasant range gun. But for a few densive shots...

Does anyone have any imput on one of these?

[This message has been edited by Shinglekill (edited 10-17-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Shinglekill (edited 10-17-2001).]

1 - 20 of 53 Posts