1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious. Anyone have any idea as to the rationale behind not allowing Bull barrels on 5" guns for IDPA. Springfield has come out with a TRP Operator in this configuration as well as Dawson Tactical. Both of these weapons are intended for "tactical" use so why doesn't IDPA allow them?

------------------

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ricky T,
I think that it is unfair to compare the civilian sector to the military. I can't just reach into my closet and deploy a CAR-16, MP-5, or some other sub-machinegun if a tactical situation were to arise in my home. I am sure that the soldiers in the Delta Force would much prefer this type weapon to the 45 if the situation warranted. At least thats what all of the SOCOM guys I ever talked with revealed to me.

------------------

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ricky T,
While I agree with you that most would opt for a standard configuration 1911 there is a reason for it. It has been proven in combat through 2 World Wars as well as Korea, and Viet-Nam. The Bull barrel 1911 has not been round that long but it may be a sign of things to come. Many, including the IDPA feel that the bull barrel gives an unfair advantage when paired against standard configuration 1911's. I think there might be come credibility to their claim. The bull barrel guns are by no means race guns. Yes, they soften the recoil due to the added weight. They still fire the 45 ACP round and are essentially a stock gun
otherwise. On the other hand, there are those who would find the additional weight a hinderance. Only the time sheets would tell.

------------------

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
kbear38s,
I agree with you. Why is it that a $4,000-$5,000 custom that has been tuned to the nines is perfectly acceptable (because it looks like a stock gun on the outside), yet an essentially stock gun is not allowed? The rationale seems flawed to me. That is why I asked this question in the first place.

------------------

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I would like to thank all who posted their replies to my question. I didn't want to be forced to only shoot IPSC with this gun. Again, the TRP Operator is not some tricked-out race gun it just happens to have a bull barrel. It was designed specifically for Operators who clear rooms/buildings with the aid of a light mounted to the frame thus leaving both hands available to operate the pistol. Anyway, if you happen to see me with it at an IDPA shoot, I would be glad to let you take it for a spin. Just remember - your score will not count.

------------------

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.