1911Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Originally posted by AKM:
I would never have decided to start shooting IDPA if the rules allowed (and therefore mandated) extensive modifications to the guns. If I wanted to have a completely impractical competition-only race gun, I would shoot IPSC.
I know a guy, who is currently a GM, finished top 16 at Nationals, who did all his shooting up to M class with a single stack Colt. And yet he still got beat at Nationals by Ron Avery with a single stack.

IDPA does allow a fairly extensive amount of mods to an ESP/CDP gun. I consider the Springfield full size gun I've got, that I plan on modding for CDP, to be an IPSC understudy gun so to speak. It will have a magwell, ambi safeties, 2.5-2# trigger, match bushing and possibly a match barrel down the road. Will it be a carry gun? Nope, it will be an IDPA/Limited 10 gun. It also won't be a whole lot cheaper than a full Limited race gun. Yet I might still get beat by the guy with the bone stock Norinco. But it won't be because of equipment. It will be because the Norinco guy has his head more together, has more practice, ect. So instead of worrying about whether the guy that's equal to you is gaining an advantage because his equipment is better, worry about getting to be a BETTER SHOOTER than the next guy. It's a lot more satisfying to beat the Open guys with a Limited gun than to whine about getting beat.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Originally posted by AKM:
I am much more impressed with the second group. Sure the gamers are fun to watch, but I'll give my respect to those who shoot tactical.
I don't consider anyone at an IDPA match to be shooting "tactical" unless the targets are shooting back. Defining what is real carry gear and guns is difficult. Some people consider a Berretta .25 and excelent carry gun. I'll also bet those "gamers" could shoot just as well out of carry full concealment, ect. Learning to shoot at high speed is about vison, ballance, bio mechanics, and especially having the mind and body in tune. Not who has the best gear. I think alot of people, some gamers and some of the others put the cart before the horse. All this worrying about equipment and what is "tacticaly correct"(an extreemly abstract term, due to the fact that no two situations call for the same response, in some cases taking the time to get to cover could get you killed) is overiding the premise that it is a competition. Tuning your gear to fit you(not always the latest gee whiz stuff) is part of competion.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.