1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have fit a couple sears myself in the last few years, but I notice that almost all the sears that Brownell's sells says that they are ready for final fitting, and all you have to do is "stone the relief angles."

I have never had a problem with any of the aftermarket sears I have fitted myself, and I have lightly stoned and polished the edge to get a nice crisp break.

What is this "relief angle" they are talking about?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Shane...
The relief angle or "secondary" angle is the "bottom" angle of the sear nose or the side of the sear that rests on the hammer "flats" ...varying the angle(from more vertical to more horizontal) can change the amount of sear engagement on the hammer hooks and also allows clearance for the half-cock notch on the hammer as the hammer goes by the sear nose to the hammer down position.
Doing the sear nose adjustments for a crisp or rolling 'break' are like chasing "the Holy Grail" for a great trigger job...although if you chase it too far it becomes holy s%^&...
)...
Barry

·
Premium Member
11,769 Posts
The relief angle is stoned onto the face of the sear & runs from about middle of the face toward the back (hammer side). The suggested angle is 45 degrees but I go shallower with mine. The net result is less engement surface of the sear face in contact with the hammer hooks. It makes the pull more crisp with no creep. If your hammer hooks are cut to .020" and the sear face is relieved about half way, you end up with about .010" of actual contact between the two parts. A good reason to honestly consider your skill level before attempting this. Full auto 1911s are NOT fun. If you are comfortable with it, give it a try.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Barry, Bill...

Thanks for the response. I figured it was something like that. I am indeed doing it the correct way, but wanted to make sure that there was not another angle I was missing somewhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts