1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I believe you mean the spine whack test.

It is performed specifically with liner lock folders to see if they will come un-locked when struck sharply on the back of the blade.

It is somewhat controversial in that some people don't believe this test has any merit. I do however, especially if you carry a blade for SD. The chances of a blade receiving a blow to the spine is great enough in a SD scenario, that I test all my folders this way.

You do not have to beat the crap out of your knife. A simple smack on the palm of your hand should suffice.

IF YOU ATTEMPT THE SPINE WHACK TEST, DO NOT HAVE YOUR FINGERS IN THE WAY OF THE BLADE, SHOULD THE LOCK FAIL. THE BLADE WILL FOLD BACK ON YOUR FINGERS.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My understanding of the spine whack test is:

1. Open the knife and lock open.
2. Hold the knife on the edge of a workbench with the blade extended past the bench edge and the edge of the blade down.
3. Take a rolled up magazine and while securely holding the knife, strike (downward) the back of the blade. Be careful that the knife does not fly loose and stick you ar anyone else. This does not have to be a 'killing' swing. The weight of the magazine will do most of the work.

If the lock holds you are good to go. If not, you need a better knife.

·
Registered
793 Posts
It's also used to test the quality of the heat treatment on fixed blades. If the blade cracks, it wasn't tempered to much. If it bends or suffers dent, it was tempered to much.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
shane45-1911 said:

IF YOU ATTEMPT THE SPINE WHACK TEST, DO NOT HAVE YOUR FINGERS IN THE WAY OF THE BLADE, SHOULD THE LOCK FAIL. THE BLADE WILL FOLD BACK ON YOUR FINGERS.
Thanks Shane, maybe you could have told me that 25 years and 5 stitches ago!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Albert Shear said:
Thanks Shane, maybe you could have told me that 25 years and 5 stitches ago!
LOL Albert... Been there, done that, got the scar.:eek: (only carry fixed blades now)

Wet

1 - 6 of 6 Posts