1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard some say 2" at 50 yds. Just wondered what your experience is?

Have a pleasant NY!

·
Registered
744 Posts
50 yrds

50 yds man that's long distance. .:eek: I can get about 1" at 25 feet. :eek::rofl::rofl::biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I have shot a 10 shot group that never left the X ring at 25 yards in bullseye competition. If I can hold the 10 ring at 50 I'm really happy but the best I can recall was something like a 94?
HNY

·
Registered
597 Posts
Off of sandbags, I recall a 2" group with my Gold Cup Trophy. My Les Baer Bullseye (red dot) will beat that. On the 50 yard line shooting Bullseye? I'm doing good to keep them inside the 8 ring!

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
This is about the best I can do these days with 16 rounds at 12 yards standing (2 x 2 inch square) with my O1980XSE (230 gr FMJ reloads). I used to be able to do this at 25 yards with my GCNM S70 when I was 18 years old (30+ years ago)...I can't even see beyond 25 yards anymore.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
My best shooting Colt is my 04091U Commander (big ol' ugly billboard rollmarks and all). It will put as many rounds as I want, into a quarter-sized hole at 25 yds. from a rest.

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
My '89 vintage Series 80 once put five rounds of Federal 230gr Hydra-Shok into a sub-1" group at 25 yards from sandbags. That was about 20 years ago and I've never shot a group that good out of a handgun since. I hung onto that target for several years afterwards.

In the meantime my O1918 was taken to the range just once, and at 15 yards offhand rewarded me with this 21-shot spread:

I wish I could say that I'm always that good, but the truth is I seem to be the most inconsistent shooter out there. Some days I swear I could shoot a happy face in a target Lethal Weapon-style, while other days my shooting stinks so bad I can only hope nobody was watching me.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I can keep my groups around 2" at 20 yards with either of my Colts.

·
Registered
23,227 Posts
From a Ransom Rest I have about 10 Colt 1911s in .45ACP that will give you a 2 inch group at 50 yards with ammo they like. Now we are talking about five consecutive five-shot groups. Then we take the average and measure to the center of the hole.

Now for me shooting from a Ransom Rest, or similar rest, is sort of like watching paint dry.

Colts continue to surprise me like when I shot my 2006 XSE LW Commander for the first time. The rear sight had a set screw, so you could adjust it and lock it down. I am an old bullseye shooter so popped off six rounds with one hand at 15 yards. I use these high class targets so I know exactly where my point of aim was.

That was with Win White Box from Wally World and on a freshly lubed and oiled pistol. I was impressed.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
My '89 vintage Series 80 once put five rounds of Federal 230gr Hydra-Shok into a sub-1" group at 25 yards from sandbags. That was about 20 years ago and I've never shot a group that good out of a handgun since. I hung onto that target for several years afterwards.

In the meantime my O1918 was taken to the range just once, and at 15 yards offhand rewarded me with this 21-shot spread:

I wish I could say that I'm always that good, but the truth is I seem to be the most inconsistent shooter out there. Some days I swear I could shoot a happy face in a target Lethal Weapon-style, while other days my shooting stinks so bad I can only hope nobody was watching me.
The last paragraph is very appropriate. If we accept the definition of accuracy found here:

http://m.dictionary.com/definition/accuracy

We then have to remove the human element. The inherent or intrinsic accuracy of a firearm will always be degraded by the human, some days more than other days. If one inquires as to an accuracy measurement in a forum of a pistol, the response generally includes the combination of the human and the pistol.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Here's what an accurized bullseye gun can do at 50 yds, from a machine rest. 10 shots, Fed commercial ball, Phillips Range, FT Benning, GA. Built by Jim Hoag in LA. I've seen some that will do slightly better, but remember that most ball ammo (even match) usually isn't capable of 2" groups at 50 yds.
Bob

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
My #1 gun was built by Jim Hoag back about 1971. After more than 125K rounds, it still shoots better than I can. I shot it during my quest for the Distinguished Pistol Shot badge. The only thing that ever happened was a broken firing pin at about 100K. It is still a master class gun, and shoots better than I can. If I am out of the X ring, it is my fault and not the gun.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
I am glad you posted that OIF2. I have seen it posted here that a machine rest can not be relied upon with a semi auto as it can be with a revolver. Are you sitting down? The reason was stated that with a revolver, the grip frame and barrel always point to the same spot and with a semi auto the slide points the barrel.:scratch:

I would enjoy seeing an honest attempt to reproduce that with any other testing method. At 50 yards, a point one two five front sight displaces at or about six of target, but then, you knew that.

·
Registered
8,321 Posts

For some of us, it never goes away. I target a lot of guns a week. I shoot great for the first 8 or so and my eyes get fatigued real fast. I usually have to stop for an hour and get back to it later. Some days I shoot like I was born to do it. Some days I wish I never had to shoot another gun again in my life. :rofl:

·
Registered
904 Posts
Keeping a magazine worth all hitting at 50yards on a single piece of std notebook paper, while shooting the group off hand. I'm sure the size of group could shrink using a ransom rest, but combat accuracy is all I really care about. The Colt didn't let me down.

·
Registered
23,227 Posts
Another surprise for me was my o1911. I bought it because my grandfather was in WWI. I bought it for $1K when they came out even though I thought their value would dump like other "special editions" (A nice surprise on that front). After a cleaning and lubing I took it to the range and after initial testing. I assume everyone one does this on a new to you pistol. Load in one round. Bang. The slide locks back if it is supposed to. Load in two rounds. Bang, bang.... etc. Anyway put in 7 rounds and fired at another high class target at 15 yards to see where the pistol was hitting. I thought I had missed and brought the target back after the first four rounds. I was impressed, but then a friend came by so drop the mag and dump the round and put it back in the mag. It was a range where there were windows and outside the range tables, etc. So we went out and shot bull and had some coffee for some time but I could look back in at my shooty position. During this time I put some lotion on my hands. When I went back in and shot the last three rounds I found: (A) It is hard to get back on those little sights. In fact I was running the target past 15 yards to more like 17 yards just because I got better light. (B). I could feel the pistol moving in my hand and suddenly understood why smooth MSHs and front of grips went by by. Anyway, the picture.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Here's what an accurized bullseye gun can do at 50 yds, from a machine rest. 10 shots, Fed commercial ball, Phillips Range, FT Benning, GA. Built by Jim Hoag in LA. I've seen some that will do slightly better, but remember that most ball ammo (even match) usually isn't capable of 2" groups at 50 yds.
Bob

Is that "leg match" tape I see on the front of the trigger guard?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Since some of us are dreaming that we could shoot that well, this is the test target that came back from the Colt Spa with my Gold Cup National match after adjusting the trigger and accurizing.

Even though that portion of the target is cropped off, it's from their 'standard' 15 yard, machine held position. I can only count 4 (mmm, maybe 5) holes. Does anyone know how many they actually fire?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts