1911Forum banner

Would you buy one of these AR shotguns for $210?

• Yes

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • No way.

Votes: 13 72.2%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shotgun with Detachable Magazine Century Arms

CENTURION OPTIO-I 12 GAUGE SEMI-AUTOMATIC SHOTGUN WITH DETACHABLE MAGAZINE
$209.99

This is a real add I got today from a major on-line gun dealer. I get the same or similar add all the time. Federal law requires that every product sold in the US must be reasonably suitable for the purpose for which it was sold.

That means it must work most of the time or they have to fix it so that it works most of the time.

So what is wrong with this picture? Can they really sell a 12 gauge AR, for $ 210.00 and give you free shipping?

Anybody have any experience with this one?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$210 and free shipping to you but to ship it back to turkey when it inevitably breaks it's gonna be way more than $210. Why buy a disposable auto when you can get an 8 shot maverick 88 for $200, beat the tar out of it, and then sell it to get your $200 back?
I think you are mistaken. I think you have not bought any Turkish guns the last 20 years. It does not work that way. If it is Weatherby shotgun, the importer is Weatherby and your warranty is Weatherby. If the label is Tisas, then you deal with the importer in Florida. I think there are 24 common brands of handguns sold in the US that are made in Turkey. All those great CZ clones are made in Turkey. This gun has a life time warranty from the Davidson's Gallery of Guns. I just plugged in the info on the gun and they found six dealers within 25 miles of me.

I have bought several Guns through them over the years but never had a problem. But here is their warranty.

"''''Perhaps best of all, Davidson’s GuaranteeD® Lifetime Replacement Warranty backs all of the firearms you buy through GalleryofGuns.com. It works like this: if anything ever goes wrong with any gun you buy with the Davidson's GuaranteeD® Lifetime Replacement Warranty, it will be replaced. If no replacement is available, it will be repaired at no charge to you. Simply return it to the retailer where you purchased it, pay for the return shipping and upon receipt Davidson's will ship the returning retailer a brand new gun for you provided one is available. If a replacement is not available your firearm will be repaired for free. For complete warranty information please refer to the Guaranteed Warranty link found at the home page of GalleryofGuns.com."'''

As far as the Maverick shotgun, they are fine. But you are talking to a guy who carried an 870 with a fold -over stock and a ten inch barrel doing protective service work for US and foreign officials all over the world, in areas of high terrorist threat. I also carried a pump shotgun in two police jobs. I can work a pump pretty well and killed lots of ducks and quail with them. But they are not my choice for a fighting gun.

Pumps are slow and require both hands to work the action then to fire. The fed gov sent me to a shotgun shooting school once. The course of fire had you run and shoot and load on the go. I remember we had to run it day and night and it was a big deal that you never look at the gun, eyes always on the target. I think the course of fire only covered about 30 yards and we only fired about 18 rounds, that is a lot of thump actually with military grade buckshot in an 870 that only weighed maybe 5 pounds. I also trained on shotguns as an MP, and actually used them on federal riot control duty as well as patrol. Loved the shotgun....there are just a lit more effective ones out there.

Try to run backwards sometimes and fire a pump as you go. Then try the same thing with any semi-auto. I have semi-autos from Remington and Winchester, I guarantee you they are three times as fast. Anybody can fire them fast, but for a fighting gun you need the pistol grip. With it you can lock your wrist and fire that shotgun like it has a bump stock on it.

My point is that the AR design is so common that anybody can work one, without any training at all. For $210 and a box of 25 double ought buck, you can throw that thing behind the seat of your truck, and bug out, and everyone in your family probably knows how to use it, and when loaded,six rounds of buck is a lot of firepower. Go to Buds Gun shop and read the reviews. Every brand on their US rated good.

The bull pups are a little complicated and most weigh 1-2 pounds more. I like these AR versions, but the AK 47 shotguns look even stronger. If a fellow just wants a pump gun to waive around and scare off strangers, any will do. But if we ever have that societal collapse, one of these with some spare mags could turn a little person at risk into a major risk for the bad guys. Odds are non of us will ever have home invasion or rioters on our street, so this is just a mental exercise. I have lots if guns and certainly plenty of shotguns, just thought For $210 I could give one of these to my wife while I slept well. Need to get her a couple of these long mags before they ban them too.
Lots of options...

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Air gun Machine gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Wood Machine gun Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Machine gun Gun accessory

Wood Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Machine gun

Automotive tire Grass Automotive exterior Plant Font

Attachments

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Ranger4 #3son/lil'bro is a huge fan of semiauto 12ga, and further of the mag-fed.

I can't say I agree, as those mags are bigger than a 1911 or HP, and heavier. And, you now have something else to load before it can go !bang!

I've handled and fired a few semiauto 12ga, and yeah - they do suck up a little recoil, but I am fond of the reliability of pumps. I can also pull a round or two from a bag/pocket and jam them into the tube-mag while walking - not going to happen with the box-mags.

I'm also a fan of the bullpup design for length-reduction. I'd like to test one on clays and handtrap, but in all other respects they will be a whole lot more useful with doorframes and hallways.

If I was to get an autoloader, yeah - the panzer-style is the likely answer - but I've been thinking that a KSG-12 would be more useful..
When the KSG 12 first hit the market, I was on a trip and visiting a cop buddy at his part- time job. He owned a gun store. Anyway, KSG was awkward, you have to keep two hands empty and on the gun at all times. The actual gun does not have much of a sling arrangement to hang on to it, if you need to go to your handgun, they do not just hang like an m4. The list on them back then was over $1000 , but the guy that bought it counted out eighteen $100 bills. Anyway, never new any cop or security guys that ever bought one and I doubt they are approved by any government agency, just too awkward, but cool.

The bull pups have a lot going for them. To me the key to moving with a Shotgun is first you have to be able to tuck it under your arm and shoot it with one hand, just like a submachine gun or SBR or one of the AR pistols we all have.

If you lose the other hand or have something you must hang on to, you can survive with one hand operation. . If it is a pump, and you set it on a table or window sill, you get one shot and then you have to retrieve the gun, and move around a lot to give the second round, a chance, too much movement if somebody, is shooting at you , you need that gun to be able to shoot with one hand, same as rifles or handguns.
Probably does not matter much in your own home, at my house there is a carry gun in the pants and a pump under the bed, so if I leave the bedroom, I have two.

Would the semi auto be better at my house when I have decades of success with that same pump that is under the bed? Sure. Because I have a long hallway to get to the main part of the house, in that tunnel a semiauto would let me get more rounds off quicker. The bullpup would be great there, shooting distance is less that 40 feet from any place you can see in that hall.

Any of the short semi autos would work. I ran reviews over several of the big on line stores, they all get good reviews. When using buckshot or hot ammo. Seems like $210 is a pretty small amount. I spent $320 on my sick dog at the vet yesterday, and he may not make it. Just saying.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After shooting both a century arms ak47 back to back with a zastava ak47....

...I won't buy anything century arms.

Including that shotgun. My mossberg 500 is just fine.
Interesting. In my lifetime, I have bought two new Zastava Guns. Both from J and G in Arizona. The first, a Mini Mauser model 85, a 7.62 x39 with Manlicher stock. I fired it about 30-40 rounds and noticed that the safety did not work. You could chamber a round, put it on safe, pull the trigger and it would fire. I called their distributor/warranty office and they told me I was nuts. I told them I was going to sue them, they decided I was not nuts and fixed it. They said it was put together out of spec, whatever that means.

Air gun Plant Wood Trigger Shotgun

Zastava M85.. Zastava also made the Chinese double 12 the original Norinco J 2000. The one I bought lasted 10 rounds and the weld holding the forearm arm on, simply broke. Two Guns made by Zasatava and marketed by Century Arms. They are not self defense Guns, except the 12, but they should work. Worst Guns I have ever bought. Just saying, both are fixed and I love the little Mauser, just saying...

Just because Zastava is an old company does not guarantee much. I probably would never buy anything they touch....2 for 2 is pretty bad.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I am impressed with this new chrome barrel zpapa m70, I got the synthetic furniture as well. It shoots well. I still use the open sights and once you learn how to set those up it is not too hard to ring 8" plates at 300 yards. Not real easy either LOL.
I do not have personal experience with the zpap but know the barrel and receiver are made by Zastava and sent to Florida where the proper amount of US made parts are added and assembled so they can be sold in the US.
The NRA did a review of the zpap and rated it very highly. Here is their report.
'the major components of the rifle, including the barrel and receiver, are manufactured in Serbia and imported into the U.S., where the appropriate number of American-made parts are added for 922(r) compliance" Zastava ZPAP M70: An Authentic AK for the U.S. Market | An Official Journal Of The NRA (americanrifleman.org)

If the NRA likes it I am sure I would too.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ranger, I hope your dog gets better. My two are my constant companions and I would not like to be without either of them.

I have an inexpensive Mossberg SA20 autoloader made in Turkey which is a great shotgun for PD and Home/Ranch defense. Youth sized 23" barrel and 5 plus 1 capacity that will fire 6 rounds as quick as I can pull the trigger and smooth shooting light short and reasonably priced with 5 chokes from cylinder to full included. I only have one pump these days, an old Stevens 12 guage that I don't mind bumping around in the Ranger.

My Benelli Ultralight 12 only holds 2 plus 1 and is a bit heavier but still a 24" barrel and quick to bring to bear. Thats still one more than a double, the age old home defense shotgun.
Still worried about the pup, a Miniature Schnauzer to replace a 15 year old one that died,he is looking pretty bad in terms of his blood work. Great little guy, not even 18 months old, first pic is 7 weeks old.
Dog Carnivore Dog supply Dog breed Companion dog

Plant Water Botany Tree Grass

No clue what caused it but his blood workup shows him critical. . And here he is watching the flood a few months ago.

The 20 gauge semi auto is really a great way to go because that military grade buck shot kicks pretty much and it takes time to recover. The 12 in a short shotgun is too much for kids and any smaller folks like most wives. I reckoned the 20 gauge to everybody who is not a gun person, for home defense.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had just gotten interested in getting an AK and I had been reading up on them. I happened to look at the primary arms website and lo and behold they showed one of these in stock. I almost broke my hand grabbing the credit card to get it before it disappeared. This was right at the start of the covid scare in February of 2020.

I got a little lucky. But it was a great purchase and when my son gets out of the US Army it is his. He is right handed but left eye dominant and started shooting left handed at about 17 years old. He wanted a rifle that could be cycled right handed.

Anyways, it is a fine rifle and has impressed me on the platform. I'm taking it out tomorrow to shoot along with my buddys project AR-47 I have been getting to run.
If by AR 47 you are talking AR in 7.62x39, that is my fav. I had 5.56and 300BLK for 15 and 10 years respectively. About 5 years ago I bought one of the Midway house brand uppers, the AR Stoner they call them. I built a lower and never looked back. I use the Midway/Stoner brand mags and they are 100% , does not matter if they are 30 round or 10 round, I have never had one jam, failure to eject or feed, nothing, absolutely perfect.

I have fired every kind of steel ammo, from 1993 Norinco, to Tullamo and Wolf and others I have a Mini 30 also and it is picky with some of the steel ammo, so I save my Silver Bear for it but use it for hunting in this one. If you can find it, it is 125 grain soft point ammo. It is great. I also use the Tullamo and Cabela's brand Herters with the 154 grain soft points.

Those are heavy hitters and the reason I have set the 300 BLK aside, I have a 300 in both a pistol and carbine. If I had known how much hotter the 7.62 is than the 300 I would never had built the 300s, waste of time actually. There is much more difference than the gun writers say. Chrono them for yourself, big difference in power but you need the 150-154 bullets to really appreciate

Mine will shoot the steel inside 2-3 inches and the Silver Bear inside 2*inches. I use Remington in my Mini 30 and get sbout 1.5 inches with them, just have not tried them in the AR. Mine has a very heavy stock trigger that I polished a little but that gun calls for an aftermarket trigger. Which should cut those two inch groups down. I have not fired any Americam ammo in it so I think it has great potential as a hunting gun.

In fact, I like it so well, I am thinking about wood furniture for it. Something I would never do with an AR I just think that one has potential.

You will enjoy the Russian round in the AR. The rounds are tapered a bit and the stubby bullet just feeds better for me. And they have just enough more recoil than the 5.56 that you know you are shooting something with a little power. Enjoy and gives some feedback on that one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts