1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay Folks here is your opportunity to share your best accuracy tip for pistol shooters new and old.

Mine is: Dry fire twice as much as you shoot. Some flaws (i.e. the flinch) are easily detected by dryfiring.

------------------

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Whole books have been written on handgun shooting and accuracy, but in my mind the bottom line is this. As important as stance, grip, breathing, trigger control, and sight alignment are, front sight alignment is the bottom line, as that is where the bullet is going when the hammer falls. Total concentration on that front sight.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Second that Colonel - front sight is pretty important! Doesn't matter how well you control your breathing or your trigger finger - if that front sight doesn't stay where it's supposed to, you will be disappointed. Of course, proper breathing and trigger control will certainly help this.

Dry fire is good too.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Slow down the trigger! Constantly press the trigger slower and slower, and your shots will fly true.

------------------
-Electric Armadillo-
"You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend." - Yasir Arrafat (On going to war over religion)

·
Registered
260 Posts
You guys forgot the most important tips!!!

Shave only the left side of your face (men only)
Bark at the moon twice at midnight
Give each round a lil kiss before you tuck it into your magazine. You wont believe the results!!!

------------------
George Orwell: "That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

·
Registered
331 Posts
Originally posted by shane45:
You guys forgot the most important tips!!!

Shave only the left side of your face (men only)
Bark at the moon twice at midnight
Give each round a lil kiss before you tuck it into your magazine. You wont believe the results!!!
Silly me, I thought it was like "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?... Pratice, Practice, Practice"

------------------
Three Blocks Long and Two Lanes Wide...

[This message has been edited by Buickguy (edited 10-12-2001).]

·
Registered
146 Posts
Blech, maybe on FMJ rounds, but it's hard to get the taste of lead semi-wadcutters out of your mouth.

Ditto the front sight. Steady hands and a smooth trigger pull and if the front sight is pointed at the target, it'll shoot where you want (unless the pistol is not doing its job)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think sight picture is most important, but it will suffer with poor trigger squeeze. Master both and it will be pleasant.

·
Registered
402 Posts
focus on the front sight is a given rule of aiming. but as far as giving a tip I'd recommend pushing through the recoil. It really helps you to keep that front sight on the target during rapid fire drills.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Originally posted by P7:
get as close to your target as possible...
ROFL

I'd need to get so close I set the paper on fire

------------------
George Orwell: "That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

·
Registered
685 Posts
Front sight, proper trigger control, and proper grip.

I had a horrible habit of "flicking" my finger off the trigger as soon as the round went off. This caused my grip to loosen and made fast, accurate follow-up shots improbable. Bill Davison taught me to hold back the trigger until the front sight (remember the Front Sight!) comes back on target, THEN release the trigger, squeeze, fire, repeat.

This had made an incredible difference for me. I'm no longer fighting the gun, instead it feels like an extension of my hand.

------------------
Steve "El Roto" G.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Sight picture.. or trigger control. Can't make up my mind.

Pin that front sight on a specific point on the target. That means; even if it's a blank gray mass, imagine a spot on there somewhere and aim for that spot. Of course in combat accurate terms, after much practice, that should translate to a subconscious effort to produce the desired result rapid fire.

Trigger control; deliberate, smooth and consistant. I think the "surprize" let off is fine for paper targets, but when thinking in terms of defensive shooting, there is an element of purpose. The former is a neccessary fundemental, but I think the transition to the latter is a necessary element in combat shooting.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Come up with a pithy, yet urbane tag line before shooting. It seems to work for all the action heroes like Clint and Arnold. Breath out, say your own variation of "Make my day" or "Diplomatic immunity revoked" and squeeze. As movie stars prove, you can never miss when acting cavalier.....

If you can't come up with one try one of these..

"Drop the knife or use it dig out the bullet"
"Here's all my money, it's tied up in hollow points"

·
Registered
254 Posts
Alot of good advice has already been posted, but here's my thoughts anyway. I think the single most important thing is trigger control. I agree with Shane and some others that you really do have to focus and concentrate on that front sight, but if you can't "break" the shot without distrubing that front sight, all that front sight concentration won't matter because the gun will be pointed away from your point of aim at the moment it fires.

Actually, I think the best accuracy tip is two fold, and it involves both the front sight and trigger. Align your sights on the target. Focus on the front sight, let the target blur and let the rear sight blur, then "press" the trigger with a smooth, constant pressure untill the shot breaks. I'm betting you've read that a thousand times. I know I have, but for me at least, that's just what being accruate involves. Front sight/trigger.. Also, get yourself some snapcaps and dryfire, alot.. it will definatly help.

The only other thing I'd add, is take your time and learn to be accurate first, then worry about speed, if you can't be accurate going slow, you won't be accurate going fast. And you can't miss fast enough to win.. Good shooting people..

God Bless America !!

mavrick

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
DH,me too,but it's not as much fun
The recipe that always works is: front sight,exhale,front sight,hold breath,front sight,squeeze,front sight,squeeze.It'll go bang where it needs to.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts