1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've bought (won?) two guns each on AuctionArms.com and GunBroker.com. Other than paying way too much ,I didn't have a problem.

What has been your experience?

Tom

·
Registered
562 Posts
First one I got had a 'modified' sear that needed to be replaced. Second one was more than perfect. All in all, if the description is accurate, you can find some great deals. Communication with the seller is key.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Universally positive, both as a seller and buyer, though I don't buy much sight unseen anymore. Communication and honesty are key.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I've never really had a bad experience. All the guns i've bought online have worked perfectly and usually exceeded the description of condition. On the one or two occasions where the condition was maybe a little boarderline, the lower price made up for it. The secret is to be very selective with your bidding and not get caught up in a bidding frenzy. You have to be willing to pass on the ones that some sucker wants to overpay on and only take advantage of the ones that are worth the price.

later,
AJ

·
Registered
623 Posts
i have bought some without any problems. but the last one i bought gave me a bit of a scare. i sent the guy almost 2 thousand dollars in usps money orders. well my ffl didnt send the damn paper, and i had to get another guy to do it. so it took me over a week or so to get him the ffl paper.
Then he started having trouble getting the gun shipped. there were several delays. i though about it, and realised how easy it would be to scam someone on a deal like this. just delay the deal....and then disappear. well i kept calling and asking what the deal was, and finally i couldnt get him on the phone. the deal had gone on for a month...i figured i might have got snookered out of 2K.
the gun finally showed up, and it is a nice piece. the guy eventually did what he said but it made me nervous when i realised how easy it would be to scam somebody on a pay first deal.
in the future i will only buy from known sources or use credit cards only!
"caveat emptor"!!!!!!!;)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I'm about 98% positive. I have had some slow shippers, but the products have been as advertised.

I'm a bit picky, and won't bid unless there is a photo of the actual merchandise.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Only done one actual auction, on GunBroker. Worked out well and got a great deal. I've also done one through GunsAmerica, and two through CZForum.

My local dealer is really cool about doing transfers, so I don't hesitate to buy online. The only problem I've had is delays in the shipping of my payment and FFL copy. In the future I may just FedEx them instead of relying on the %$# (*&~! post office.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I seem to be buying/selling lots of guns online (gunbroker, forums, etc). I haven't had a bad experience yet.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,065 Posts
I bought my first, a few weeks ago, and the transaction went flawlessly. Be sure to do business with people who have overwhelmingly positive feedback, and lots of it, if possible.

·
Registered
233 Posts
too rich for my blood

I find better deals at my local range,I dont see too many deals at the auction.
I feel they are a bit high,and the risk is not worth it.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I've done fine. Got a Delta Elite, 01991 and CZ-75B that way. All were from "real" FFL gun dealers that were selling online on the side and had straight-A ratings from previous buyers.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks guys for your responses.

They pretty much reflect my experiences.
I don't live in a big city where the gun shows attract the really nice collector type sellers. Lot's of good shooting and hunting pieces though.
my ffl didnt send the damn paper
My FFL dealer is great about giving ME the FFL copy to send to the seller, never a problem there. He charges $15 for the transfer (very fair) and I buy my factory ammo and supplies from him (and not WallyWorld) to help support him.

Most of the firearms, in my opinion, do bring too high a price but I guess I'm part of that problem. If I see it, and I want it, and can afford it, I'm buying it! But everyone has a limit.

I saw a pre series 70 1911 A1 transitional model (BB) with a reserve over $1,600 (as new, no box or papers)!!!:eek:

Tom

·
Registered
628 Posts
I must say I have had extremely good luck with auctions. This may change next time, but I have won bids on several like new handguns that I haven't found anywhere near me and one at a price that really was a good deal.
Without the internet some of the handguns would be no more than a picture in a book to me. The newer, common models are found all around me, but classic out-of-production models only show up every blue moon.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Internet Auctions

I have done very well on the Auction Arms web site. Everything thus far has been without problem,but I have a C-R license and buy only that type of of firearm. Colt 1908 25ACP,Star model B 9mm,C Z 50 32ACP, Hi Std Model B,22, and a CZ 52 in the 762x 25.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts