1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally narrowed down my decision on buying my first 1911 and would like your opinion on the following choices please.
1. Springfield Trophy Match
2. Smith+Wesson DK (Doug Koenig) cheaper priced model
3. Dan Wesson Pointman 7
Thanks for your imput.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm more familiar with the first two but all good choices. Time to hold them side by side and see how each feels in your hand. There really are subtle differences. Feel the triggers. Compare how they look to you. At this quality level it's all personal taste. For what it's worth here's what Gunblast has to say.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Gunblast? The ******* know nothings that said Smith & Wesson, Kimber, etc could compete against Baer, RRA and Wilson? Gettin' off topic....

If I were you I'd get the Smith or the Dan Wesson. But for only a couple hundred more than you could get the DK, you could get a Baer Premier II that would blow it out of the water.

·
Premium Member
20,399 Posts
Sorry, for the price I disagree with any of your choices.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I like the S&W 1911 Dk two-tone myself. Just not sure about the flat trigger.
I have a Dan Wesson classic bobtail and the finish and fit is awesome for around $800. It is better than my SA TRP and Colt gold cup.

I like the mag-well with ambi safety on your S&W and SA choices. I will pick the SA if it was my first 1911 because I like to have checkered front strap.

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
lucky you

I suggest the S&W; been handling/shooting them since before they were offered.
Nice OTC gun for the money; superior warranty service; excellent custom shop.

Second choice, the Springfield Armory model.
Again, much like above.

Counts on if you want a Series 70, or a don't care.

The Dan Wesson is not, IMO, in the same category as the other two.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Gunblast? The ******* know nothings that said Smith & Wesson, Kimber, etc could compete against Baer, RRA and Wilson? Gettin' off topic....
What part of their test results do you have hard evidence to dispute? What links and hard evidence do you have that show as a percentage of pistols produced that Wilson or Baer have fewer issues than the listed S&Ws and Springers? We'll leave Kimber out of it because after all nobody expects much out of them anymore. Both Wilson and Baer make seriously fine weapons but both S&W and Springfield make fine pistols that more than hold their own. Last I heard there were still a few top competitors making their living with S&Ws. ;)

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
:biglaugh: Not the S&W 1911 PC, the regular production gun. Vs a Premier II, RRA Hardball and CQB. :eek:

·
Registered
461 Posts
:biglaugh: Not the S&W 1911 PC, the regular production gun. Vs a Premier II, RRA Hardball and CQB. :eek:
And what part of the test results do you have hard evidence to dispute? Are you saying that they lied when the authors stated that they got 1-1/4" groups out of a production S&W? Or 1-3/8 out of a RRA Limited Match? :p

Now I don't claim that the average SW1911 will average groups like that (I have no evidence that they don't either) but even getting close is pretty dang fair for a pistol with combat sights and a street price of $800. And better than 99% of shooters can hold without benefit of a Ransom Rest.

BTW, I agree that the Baer Premier II would be a really impressive choice, but I'm just not sure it's much more if any more accurate.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I dont know anything about the S&W but I do know that Springfield makes a fine pistol and they have a lifetime warranty.
Of the Dan Wessons I have seen and fired they are definitely in the consideration

Its really going to wind up being which one feels best

Not to get off topic but Kimber 4 ever. Kimber makes the slides and frames for Wilson. Essentially they are hand fitted kimbers. My SA GI with a match bushing and a trigger job shoots the same as my RRA Hardball. The RRA is prettier and is fit and finish, but accuracy wise theres only so much you can do to a 1911. The guys at gunblast arent ******** they actually shoot and compare and dont really run off at the mouth like some people who talk or rather write more than they shoot

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I have finally narrowed down my decision on buying my first 1911 and would like your opinion on the following choices please.
1. Springfield Trophy Match
2. Smith+Wesson DK (Doug Koenig) cheaper priced model
3. Dan Wesson Pointman 7
Thanks for your imput.
Which one fits your hand (and pocket book) best? That's the one to get.

·
Registered
111 Posts
What is your opinion

I have owned numerous S&W 1911's. All were good guns. Two were excellent. The two that were excellent were both first gen. Stainless w/ the bill board. I have 4 Wilson's, and a Les Baer. Both of the Smiths would shoot w/ any of those guns. The slide was glass like just like the Wilsons and LB. I think that the mim parts would not give the same long term service as the Wilson, and LB.
I never felt bad carrying any of the Smiths on or off duty.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tried the S&W - very nice. Bought a 2 year old Trophy for $925. Shoots 2" at 25 yards. I think for the price it is hard to beat, if that is the type gun you want - meaning a range oriented piece. If you are tempted by the Trophy, make sure you like the 20 lpi checkering on the front strap - it is harsh.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Slomo, what do you mean by that? I'm new to guns etc. so I really don't know what your talking about as far as the front strap being harsh...?:confused:

·
Registered
613 Posts
+1 on the Colt for your first 1911. Everyone after that you should look closely at what Springfield has to offer and trust me, there will be many more.:rock:
+2 on Colts. The others offer a bunch of add-ons that I don't even want for free. Go with a Colt Gold Cup and never look back.....it's the cadillac of production 1911's for 1k or under. Next would be the series 70 or XSE model depending on what I was looking to do with it and spend.

·
Registered
507 Posts
More than likely you have already picked one, so go get it. Ignore what the rest of us goons say to you. Don't start looking at colts because someone on this forum said to. They are all so darn close to the same that you won't go wrong any way you choose so pick the one that you like best and that calls your name.

My experience, (which you should ignore) I have a kimber a springfield and a dan wesson. Out of the box the Dan Wesson was perfect and still is but was picky with what mags would lock it open when it was empty. The springfield would lock open whenever it felt like it but ran great aside from that. The kimber had an extensive break in before it became 100% (but it was about 98% during that break in) but now it is flawless (provided I use relatively fresh springs in the mags and a fresh recoil spring)

I personally cannot shoot inside the difference of the three.

I'd get the Smith than the Dan Wesson if I was in your shoes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts