1911Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Here is another, and potentially the most important in the start of my love of knives. This Boker USA 155 was given to me by my father in the mid 60’s. As a kid growing up in the backcountry of Idaho, Montana and Wyoming, it went everywhere with me. This is the knife I learned to sharpen by hand with whetstones. You can still see the stone marks resulting from a young boy trying to imitate his father’s honing skills. He often commented that I was going to grind the blade into nothing.
Tool Blade Knife Collar Dagger

Brown Rectangle Wood Textile Tints and shades
Hand Wood Musical instrument Sleeve Headgear
Wood Rectangle Natural material Feather Tints and shades

·
Registered
179 Posts
My first knife was a Gerber mini paraframe. Complete junk but still ok for the $7 I paid.
After that was a swiss army until I almost took off my trigger finger with it. Then I had a nice Leatherman that my brother borrowed and lost.
First knife I fell in love with was a Mike Snody instigator but I never did get one. You can pretty much ask anything you want for an original nowadays so I'll probably never get one.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
My first knife was a Gerber mini paraframe. Complete junk but still ok for the $7 I paid.
After that was a swiss army until I almost took off my trigger finger with it. Then I had a nice Leatherman that my brother borrowed and lost.
First knife I fell in love with was a Mike Snody instigator but I never did get one. You can pretty much ask anything you want for an original nowadays so I'll probably never get one.
I remember the Benchmade Snody Instigator collaboration from the 2005 +/- era. Did Snody make another version prior to the Benchmade version?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I remember the Benchmade Snody Instigator collaboration from the 2005 +/- era. Did Snody make another version prior to the Benchmade version?
He made a few waaaaay back in the day long before Benchmade bought the patent. I can't find a single picture of one but it's the same knife except the holes are more polished, there's no paint or coating, and it came with a leather sheath. That's the one i wanted. There's an hk version now too but I don't like kydex.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
He made a few waaaaay back in the day long before Benchmade bought the patent. I can't find a single picture of one but it's the same knife except the holes are more polished, there's no paint or coating, and it came with a leather sheath. That's the one i wanted. There's an hk version now too but I don't like kydex.
Cool bit of knife trivia! I'll have to keep an eye out for one.

·
Premium Member
3,432 Posts
A Benchmade 720 was the first knife I paid more than $30 for and it spiraled from there. Had I known the path it was setting me on I would've just stuck with my Buck 110, which I still have somewhere... :)

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,716 Posts
I got a folding Boy Scouts knife when I was about eight years old, and carried it every day until I was in high school, and the belief that a pocket knife was a weapon, became prevalent.
I was a never a "knife guy", any more than I was a "tactical flashlight guy", until I started participating in practical shooting competitions, and rubbed shoulders with cops, military, etc.
Within a couple of years, I had my Surefire with upgraded bulb (20 minutes battery life!), and an Emerson CQC7.
Now, I carry a Kershaw Leek, which was a little less attention-grabbing when clipped to the pocket, in the urban environment that I worked in for 30 years.

Reactions: Cerberos

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
At a young age I had carried a pocket knife for years. All of them were inexpensive knives. Knives that would chip or break.

In the 90’s I had gotten my first multi tool which was a Gerber. I thought it was cool until it pinched my hand for the last time. I then went to Leatherman and never looked back.

Not talking about multi tools I continued to purchase inexpensive pocket knives up until 2010. I had bought my first Benchmade. It was the Mini Griptilian. I carried it for a while and was very satisfied with the quality. No chipping or breakage. Held an edge longer also. At that time I realized the value in a quality knife.

In 2012 I was wanting to upgrade my fixed blade to a quality U.S. made blade. Did my research and bought an Esee. Then my knife budget went into the red zone. Had several Esee knives.

About a year later after the Esee venture I got into Bark River Knives. At this point I was happy with my collection. I thought I had a well rounded kit of sharp objects. Benchmade for my folders and Esee and Bark River for my fixed blades.

A few years ago I sold almost all my knives except my EDC knives. I just wasn’t using a lot of them anymore. Then in the last year I found myself back in the woods enjoying nature with no knife big enough for back country use. It was then I purchased my first L.T. Wright knife.

Now that I got my first LT Wright knife and it was the Genesis I realized how important the design and grind is on a larger fixed blade.

Currently my go to knives for folders is Benchmade and for fixed is LT Wright Knives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
My Dad carried a pocket knife and so did both Grandfathers. Some kind of useful blade is the first tool any man should have...

·
Registered
5 Posts
60 years ago this summer, right out of HS, 3 buddies and I decided to go to the Seattle Worlds Fair. Drove a 56 Ford from Michigan and camped along the way. We stopped in Montana one day and I decided I needed some protection when we camped in the wilderness, so I bought the biggest and baddest knife I could find. Well made, from Germany, never used it for anything but show and tell.
That started my gathering of knives over the next 60 years. Mostly Michigan made Marbles, others that looked good, a few hunting knives that skinned a lot of deer, antelope, and caribou. My first custom came from a friend who made a really nice size hunting knife with Walrus Tusk Ivory handle. My most recent one came from a friend of my son that made me this great little knife with the Marine Corp's Emblem.

Tool Utility knife Knife Handgun holster Everyday carry

Tool Knife Kitchen utensil Natural material Utility knife

21 - 34 of 34 Posts