1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new 45. My first! My question is what bullet should I use for reloading for it? I will be shooting bowling pins, steel plates and paper targets. What lead bullet should I use? thanks

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I was using 185 or 200 gr SWC's

for USPSA, pin & plate, and similar action pistol events. Then I got a 625 - SWC's do NOT work well in revolvers, and loading 2 different bullets was a nuisance, as I often shoot both guns at an event.

I now use 200 gr RNFP's; if they are not readily available, I'll take truncated cones.

Both load beautifully in both the revolver and my autos; both are more than heavy enough to lay down a popper or take a pin off the table, and are faster and flatter than 230 gr bullets. Also cheaper! :p

·
Registered
599 Posts
For all the types of shooting you name, I think the 200 gr SWC is an all around good choice. I have had great luck with oregon trail laser casts and rainers plated. Over bullseye or unique, it'll knock down plates and shoot 1 holers all day.

·
Super Moderator
14,974 Posts
200grain, lead semi-wadcutter bullets are probably the most used .45 bullet by reloaders. These bullets work well for target work, and for "knock-down" work (plates, pins, poppers, etc.). There are quite a few powders that will work well with these bullets. On the faster end there's Bullseye, Clay's and Red Dot. On the slower end there's Unique, Universal Clays, and Power Pistol. And, in between, there's W231 and Titegroup. And, I've probably missed a few favorites too.

I'd recommend picking the reloading manual you think presents the information in the clearest manner, pick a powder that looks good to you, and start at the minimum charge weight listed for that powder. If you want to, or need to, then start carefully working your way up. But, DO NOT exceed the maximum charge weight listed for that powder and bullet combination.

Good shooting.....Rod.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I've settled on the H&G#68 200 LSWC style. Makes real nice round holes on IPSC/IDPA targets where I can use some help in nicking the perforation.

I've used a ton of different hard cast or lead/moly bullets. My best experience has probably been with the Laser-Cast, although I'm a little tweaked that they started their "Internet Shipping Included" pricing. Ouch. But, they make a fine bullet I feel.

I'm still poking around, looking for a local caster with a high quality bullet that I can buy for around $.04 each (tax included but maybe no shipping). If I can find that, and if it doesn't lay down barrel lead like a microwaved Crayola, I'll probably be happy.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I've been casting a H&G68 (208GR) for 13yrs. At a cost of $ 1.50 a box of # 50 loaded.

The only probem is you spend alot of time Casting & Reloading and not shooting:eek:

But it's still worth it!:D

·
Registered
594 Posts
Most of my shooting is with 200 gr SWC H&G 68 style bullets I pickup at the gun show for around $18/500. However I also load up 230 gn LRN on the warm side for practice duplicating defensive loads.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've just tried a 1000 Tennessee Valley hard cast bullets in 200 SWC with 5.0 grains of Bullseye and OAL of 1.250. They seem to work really well. Velocity is about 895 fps. The cost was 36.00 / k plus shipping. This is my first lead bullet tried. If I find something that works on the first try I usually don't look any further. Rather spend time shooting than fussing over differrent brands.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I cast my vote (no pun intended) for the 200 grain SWC as an all around bullet. I cast a lot of bullets for my .45s (gone through 400 + pounds of alloy since March). I use the Lyman 200 grain SWC bevel base, RCBS 201 grain SWC flat base, RCBS 185 grain SWC bevel base, and the Lyman 225 grain RN. I have a few Lee molds but don’t use them much any more. I use different ones for different applications and I’m always experimenting. The joys of loading!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I use 230 gr. Lyman round nose bullets that i cast myself (time to do a batch again), for general practice. Back in my IPSC days, I used 200 gr. Lyman semi-wadcutters for cleaner scoring on paper targets. These with about 6.5 gr of Unique, what a combination... ==Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts