1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,744 Posts
I load them to 1.169 and they run great.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
21,913 Posts
I load 9mm FMJs to 1.15" OAL and they feed out of 9mm or .38 Colt, Metalform, and Shooting Star magazines in my guns. They are reilable enough for IDPA.

·
Super Moderator
7,744 Posts
Not to sound like a pecker, but if it isnt 100% I wont take it to a match, IPSC or IDPA.

I tinker at the range on practice days to find out what doesent work and what does.

So far, that OAL is working with all bullet weights and styles, 115-135's.

Good luck to you.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
I load 9mm to 1.165" using the CMC 10 rd. 38 Super mags. My 9mm SA will feed normal length(1.135") just as well. I use a 147 gr RN bullet.

·
Registered
21,913 Posts
Tom,
I guess I was not clear. "Reliable enough for IDPA." meant fully reliable, something to take to State and National championships.
I phrased it that way because IDPA is my only application for a big 9mm like that. If I am going to haul around a 1911 for CCW it is going to be a .45, a 9mm has to go in my pocket.

I have had one (1.0) malfunction ever in my real 1991A1 9mm since new. Let's don't talk about the reconverted obsolete single stack iron sighted comp gun. It is doing ok with ammo loaded specifically for it, but it is in for one more rebuild to get it to run with the standard stuff. If it doesn't, it's the parts bin.

I also do my experimenting in trial sessions, usually before I set in for some practice with good ammo (or mags or whatever is new.) I do not tolerate mechanical failures in competition, I can screw up enough myself.

·
Registered
21,913 Posts
Tom,
I guess I was not clear. "Reliable enough for IDPA." meant fully reliable, something to take to State and National championships.
I phrased it that way because IDPA is my only application for a big 9mm like that. If I am going to haul around a 1911 for CCW it is going to be a .45, a 9mm has to go in my pocket.

I have had one (1.0) malfunction ever in my real 1991A1 9mm since new. Let's don't talk about the reconverted obsolete single stack iron sighted comp gun. It is doing ok with ammo loaded specifically for it, but it is in for one more rebuild to get it to run with the standard stuff. If it doesn't, it's the parts bin.

I also do my experimenting in trial sessions, usually before I set in for some practice with good ammo (or mags or whatever is new.) I do not tolerate mechanical failures in competition, I can screw up enough myself.

·
Super Moderator
7,744 Posts
Jim, the OAL I am using, which is real close to Joe’s, has been 100% reliable for me. I tried 1.245 with 147’s and it was fine, but all you have then is a super that needs to be throated for the long bullet.

I am however doing a couple things which might help out more. That or they just may make me feel better and do not really do anything.

I roll size/case pro all my brass between every reload. This ensures all the brass I end up with gets put back in spec, to include getting any dings or hooties in the rim taken care of.

I don’t use lead bullets as they can gum up a seating die giving you a progressively shorter OAL once it starts getting dirty. And they smoke and make me clean the gun more often than I really want to.

I don’t use plated bullets as some can be total garbage and inaccurate as a rubberband gun.

A Schuemann AET barrel. The feedramp is kinda dished out a touch, which might help also.

New mag springs, often.

Please tell me about your single stack open gun. I have an old major 9 single stack I am going to convert to super. Gonna make it into a steel gun or a bainchi gun.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
Tom, I have had pretty good luck with the West Coast plated bullets. I can't comment on the other brands. I have not had much luck with the 147 gr lead bullets though. One out of 10 keyholes. Twist must be too slow in my SA. I am amazed at how accurate this gun is. There is no hint of barrel lockup with the slide lugs. You can see where SA took a perfectly good match barrel and ground down the barrel lug slot for clearance. It would not have taken that much longer to properly fit the barrel. Inspite of all this it still shoots under 2"@25 yds. More than good enough for IDPA.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts