1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently loaded a bunch of 200 gr JFP bullets for my Kimber. I've experienced a lot of premature slide lock-backs, which I don't have with FMJ profile bullets. I was wondering if I can expect the same problems with SWC profile bullets if I decide to load some cast lead practice ammo. Should I just stay with the ball profile in either jacketed or lead? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You must be careful with the overall lenght of the cartridge, especially when you change your bullet style. Check a reloading manual for this important piece of infomation. An overlong cartridge will engage the slide stop as it move up through the magazine.

I've had go luck with lead SWC bullets in my Kimber.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I've had the same problem with JFP and truncated cone bullets.....although, this started to happen AFTER I installed a .38 Super slide stop in my Kimber .45. The reason for the change was that my gun wasn't going into slide lock after the last round, and my gunsmith though it would handle the problem. It did, but certain bullet shapes will knock me into premature slide lock. No problems with SWCs, though, which I load at 1.250" OAL.

[This message has been edited by fremont (edited 11-04-2001).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts