1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Administrator
13,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a used Lyman Spar-T turret press for X-Mas in 1976 . I was 15 . Started out with .38spl and have loaded many calibers since . I've loaded mostly handgun calibers also 45-70 , 25-20 wcf and 30-06 .

I still use the same press :D

·
Registered
123 Posts
I started on a Lee Challenger single stage, and for the past year and a half I've been using the Lee Loadmaster. A little tricky getting it setup right, but once I got all the kinks worked out, it has served me well.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I actually started out loading with Lee Loader in 1973! I graduated to RCBS JR. press in 1974. I helped out new shooter and gave the RCBS Jr press to him in 2002, I went to Redding T7 press the. I have been loading on Dillon 450 that morphed to a 550 for 20 years. I have nothing but praise for the Dillon. I loaded 9mm, 38/357, 223, 308, and untold # of 45ACP and AR. My latest run of 5K is completed.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Started with a Lee Hand Press.
My wife bought me a RCBS Reloader Special. A little slow but it works for now.
I am thinking about a progessive, or a turret press. Everyone likes Dillon, or so it seems.
Take care, John

·
Registered
100 Posts
Rifle rounds on a RCBS Rockchucker

9MM, 38/357, 40S&W, 45 ACP on Dillon 650

I had the Lee progressive but it was too difficult to keep running after 15,ooo rounds. The Dillon has over 30,000 and is not having any major problems yet,

·
Registered
672 Posts
Started major reloading on 2000 with a Lee 1000. Lasted about 6 months. I gave it away.

Bought a 550 and two years later Mrs. Jarrell and her oldest baby bought me a 650 for my b'day. I have loaded 13,000 to 15,000 per year each year for the last four years.

Only one hiccup. I blew up a tube of primers the first day I had the 650. I ham-fisted one too hard and bam, the whole tube went up. Dillons design directed everything straight up. A phone call the next day had me a brand new primer setup at my house in about three days. Gotta love the no BS warranty.

It kinda scares me to think about lighting off a whole tray of primers in a Lee press. Kinda right in your face.

I like the Blue press.

FWIW

dj

·
Registered
252 Posts
Presses

Started with a Rockchucker, switched to a Lyman turret press, then a Lee turret press with auto index. Got to use a friend's Dillon 650 with casefeeder.
I bought a Hornady Lock-n-Load with case feeder.

The L-n-L and the 650 are great. So far I've had fewer sideways primers with the red press. Wish Hornady had the powder through expander available now as I like to seat and crimp as two steps. The bushing method of die swaps is faster/cheaper than Dillon's tool head. The Hornady case feeder does not scatter tumbler media across the bench.

I use a RCBS lockout die instead of a Hornady powder cop. I also added a brass rod with crossbar to add weight to the primer stack/indicate when out of primers.

The cost of the Hornady with case feeder and one case feeder plate and one shell plate and lockout die was $530 from Cabela's. The equivalent Dillon 650 is $200 more.

I am not knocking Dillon. The 550 and 650 that I've used work great. The Hornady does the same for less cash.

Paul

·
Registered
85 Posts
blue press...

Dillon 650 for .45 acp, .40 SW, .38 Super, 9mm.

Also, importantly, use the Redding Competition Seating Die with the micrometer adjustment for seating.

Use EGW special undersize sizing dies.

And use Lee Factory crimp dies.

This combination allows even Glock brass to be reloaded successfully.

be safe

Tim

·
Super Moderator
8,295 Posts
I have several.

Single stage is a Redding Ultra-Mag and RCBS Ammo-master set up in 50BMG.

Progressive is a pair of 550's, a pair of 1050's and a SL900 for shotshell.

For long range rifle (600 yards and further) I use a Sinclair arbor press and hand dies.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I bought a Lyman Spartan press back in the mid to late 70's, used it for a while, quit reloading, then got back into reloading. I'm still using this press. All things considered, it's probably held up better than I have over the years.

·
Registered
161 Posts
An RCBS fan

I have an RCBS RS5, Rockchucker and a RCBS turrent press --- use them all and can't seem to progress past the single stage.

·
Registered
898 Posts
What press?

Just gave a Dill.550RL with several boxes of spare parts,dies and you name it to my oldest son today,I still have 2 Lyman turret presses and a RCBS Rockchucker,I'm at the age where it is time to start getting rid of stuff,this is the one I made my charge adjusting bolt/dial for,Imade a longer than factory groove(?) area because I use 2 opposing spring washers to remove any play in the adjusting bolt.

Stumpy

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.