1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My vote would have to be for the M1 Garand or a Sharps .45/70. Big bullets that get the job done without the need for hi capacity magazines

·
Registered
66 Posts
Practically speaking, I think the Marlin Camp Carbine in .45ACP. Magazines and ammo will work in either. Are there any other long arms that take the 1911 mags?
Milldude

·
Registered
331 Posts
Originally posted by ArmySon:
My vote would have to be for the M1 Garand or a Sharps .45/70. Big bullets that get the job done without the need for hi capacity magazines
Originally posted by milldude:

Practically speaking, I think the Marlin Camp Carbine in .45ACP. Magazines and ammo will work in either. Are there any other long arms that take the 1911 mags? Milldude
Both are good points! I however would still want my M1 Carbine. I would like the Thompson sub, but it's unlikely I'll ever be able to get one. The B A R would also make a great compliment to the M1911A1 from a historical standpoint.
All the WWII vintage weapons make great companions to each other as far as I'm concerned

·
Administrator
18,603 Posts
M-14, Marlin Guide Gun (.45/70)...

Maybe a nice .308 in a 'scout' type of configuration...

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I love my Camp Carbine...

That said, we have all grown to enjoy the Modularity and ability to Customize the 1911. Afterall, it's what has made it the most popular Combat, and Game gun ever produced.

As a result, IMHO, the BEST long gun that compliments the 1911 is the AR-15. The AR is a versatile weapon that has improved through years of Military use, much like the 1911.

The AR provides a basic foundation which allows the user to personalize it for the Mission at hand. It can be had in long and short versions, and can be easily swapped between them... In fact, you can configure it use pistol caliber's, and if you're looking for the BIG, heavy calibers, well, Tony Rumore has some really cool alternatives, the .458 SOCOM is proably unrivaled.

While the 45-70 is a fine animal, I would contend it matches up better with a 45 Colt in a SAA than the ubiquitous 1911.

·
Administrator
18,603 Posts
Originally posted by jaydee:
Tony Rumore has some really cool alternatives, the .458 SOCOM is proably unrivaled.
Got a link for that Jaydee?

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
I really like the SR 25, consistant 1/2 moa semi gas gun.
besides I like being far enough away they are not likely to shoot back

geo ><>

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I would have to say the chopper, you know, the gat, the Chicago typewriter, the Thompson. Say, did anyone see the "violin" case Auto-Ordnance is now selling for their choppers?

------------------

Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those that don't

·
Registered
953 Posts
Have to agree with Jaydee on this one. I definitely would choose the AR. The HK USC is another choice that comes to mind if one is looking for ammo interchangeability. The Thompson, although dear to many, is an aging design, heavy and unless you have the full auto version no better than the the newer .45 auto carbines.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Depends on the mission...scattergun hard to beat for room work...medium range AR or AUG...longer range I'll take an M1A any day..

·
Registered
474 Posts
I guess it would depend on what vintage 1911 you were talking about. If it is a WWII era or earlier then the M1-Garand would get my vote. If it is Viet Nam or later era the AR-15 would be tops. If its in between those then take your pick.

------------------

·
Registered
121 Posts
Either the M1 Garand or the M1 Carbine compliment the 1911 well. They just look right together. OTOH, a Winchester 1897 doesn't exactly look out of place either when teamed with a 1911.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
General - Steyr Scout (in .308 of course!)

Combat - Valmet '76

... and somewhere on my belt, vest, buttpack, pack (..somewhere); a Browing Hi-Power.

I just wish I had the money to buy 'em all!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I can't believe no one's come up with the obvious answer yet--M1903 Springfield!

------------------
Alfadog
NRA Life Member

"DO NOT TAKE COUNSEL OF YOUR FEARS."
--G. S. Patton, Jr., Lt. Gen., USA, 6 March 1944

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
M3A1 "Grease Gun".

Valkrye Arms makes a semi-auto now, that's legal in most states, BUT not CA.

These two were my issued arms, as an 11E20 tank driver (M60A1 tank.)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts