1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for quite a while today and I can't seem to find the answer or collection of answers I'm looking for (I might be search impaired). Was there an incident (yours or someone elses) that convinced you that you should start carrying or did you start carrying, 'just in case'?

I've been meaning to get my CCW, but didn't really intend to carry except when hunting or on road trips in the state. I try to stay out of trouble and dangerous areas anyway, but with some of the stories I've heard, the thought of carrying all the time is making more sense. I think the seatbelt analogy (that someone here posted) nearly sealed the deal. It was something like, you try to avoid needing that seatbelt and you don't want to have to use it, but if you need it, it's better there than not.

I was poking around in a local gun shop, half listening to this story. This guy had been to some bar or restaurant and was waiting for his sister/gf/whatever to come out when someone came and knocked on the window of his car. He opened the window to see if he could help and was immediately struck in the face. The person doing the knocking had a knife in his hand and was really going after this guy. Somehow the guy in the car got out and after some scuffling knocked the knife guy to the ground on his own knife. The knife guy ended up in intensive care and the car guy had some cuts and bruises, but was shopping for a gun the next day and wanted his CCW right away. Apparently a cop taking the report told the guy he would have been justified in shooting the knife guy, had the car guy had that option. As far as I could tell by the story it was all a case of mistaken identity.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I started carrying simply because we could. I was already a Republican, so I didn't need to get mugged first. God Bless the Commonwealth of Virginia!

Definition of a Democrat: A Republican who hasn't been mugged yet. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I guess it was a variety of things. I started carring back in the 70s" in Kentucky as a Probation/Parole Officer. I had always liked shooting, but my job put me in harm's way. For decades I didn't carry as I had moved to Ohio (Still miss Ky.). Now we have CCW in Ohio. I know it's less than perfect, but it's a start. I work at a Maximum Security Prison with guys who made some of the people I use to supervise in Ky. look good. The world is a dangerious place and thanks to Ohio's Flat Time sentencing it will likely get worse. As to the guy who got punched in the face by "mistaken identity" I can't but help wondering if that's the truth. Criminals lie, and I wouldn't put it pass one to have a story made up if things went wrong in an effort to hope the guy assulted would let him go.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
the human race.... :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
NaturalSelector said:
the human race.... :)
Sad but true.

Too many mentally derranged people out there now.

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
I began carrying

For a variety of reasons. 1) My right to self defense had been denied while living in the PRK, so when I moved to Idaho (now Nevada) it was one of the first things I did. 2) Because I can. 3) What NaturalSelector said. 4) Because it is my responsibility to protect my self and my family, not the government's. 5) Did I mention because I can??? 6) An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Robert

·
Registered
735 Posts
Why did I get my "CCW"

Definitely to protect myself from other's that do not have the best of intentions in mind of others!

I have no problem defending myself from others before getting my CCW, but I could only look for other avenues of protection before CCW in Missouri. I found "Tenshin Aikido" Tenshin Aikido is Steven Seagal's own style of Aikido. I have been taught by a senior instructor of Sensi Seagal. But this is only good if your attacker is not armed with a gun! A knife maybe but without some potential cuts/injuries and such! This is not "Hollywood" and I am not taking anything away from Sensi Seagal in anyway. He is by far the best I have ever seen in this style. I just do not have the skill he does in doing it, it takes years and years for this.

It is taught in class but to be really, really, good at taking a knife or gun away from someone you have to have trained most all of your life to do it successfully. I am not the best, I have only trained for about 5 years now, but I can defend myself and never be struck by an attacker or be taken down. some friends have tried because they didn't believe it, they lost! but were never struck by me at all, just thrown all over the place and then put into a submission hold and then giving up do to the extreme pain they are in at the time. That is the great thing about Aikido, you never have to injure another person unless it is absolutely necessary to do so in defending yourself.

I know this is long but you asked! The reason why I still felt that I needed to carry a gun is for the simple fact of evening the odds. If the attacker has no gun I will never pull it out, don't need to! if the attacker has a gun, then I will even the odds between the two of us because I cannot successfully take a gun out of an attackers hand without possibly killing myself attempting to take it from him. In class the guns are wood and are scenarios! on the street they are real and without a do over.

Like today for an example, I was in the city working and was checking on a fiber optic cable that was having problems. There was a black man walking around in a strange way and just acting strange. I spotted him kept an eye on him, he went behind the building I was in front of ( I was in the sidewalk) he never made eye contact, so I lowered my defense some and the next thing I know is behind me about 30-40 feet was a bus stop that the man tried to get on. After getting on the bus I thought cool that dude is gone! but the bus never moved, it stayed there for at least 10 minutes, and I am thinking, is this guy robbing the bus?

I had walked out without my gun today (Monday) of all days right? but I was unarmed and was between the bus and where he came from. I didn't know whether to call the cops or what, I couldn't see inside the bus do to the tint on the windows. After thinking this he comes back off of the bus pissed off, he is screaming at the bus driver and people on it apparently not getting to ride it do to he didn't have the fair money I am assuming! the bus starts to pull off and the guy starts kicking the s!#*! out of the bus with like 7 very aggressive kicks to it. I am thinking here we go, this dude is pissed and is looking to work out his aggression and I am in the way here.

Just as I thought the dude spots me and run/walks to me and says, man give me some bus fair, I got to get across town. I tell the guy he needs to calm down, that I don't have any money today and that even if I did the bus driver I'm sure will not let you on after what you just did. He says man I am not asking you! I am telling you to give me bus fair or we are going to have problems! I'm thinking great, walked out without my gun! I hope this dude is not armed. So I tell him again, you can tell me all you want but I do not have any money at all on me today, I can't help you and you need to move on with your business, as I take a defensive stance with him because I don't know what this guy is going to do next. He says oh you want to box, I tell him not at all but I am not going to let you attack me because I don't have bus fair for you and if you do try and strike me you will not like the outcome. he says man I'm fitten to kick yo ass! (exact words) Guy lunges at me and my Aikido training kicks in and I am seeing everything very clear! I block his attack and throw him into the bushes using his momentum, I'm thinking damn I did it, it worked on a real attacker but with a calm face to not show him my surprise! The guy is trying to get out of the bushes and now that I am thinking about it he is spitting out debris from his mouth. :biglaugh: I am thinking O.K. here comes round two. Ding, ding, and at that moment the SLPD pulls up jumps out and arrest's the guy on the spot. I am like "wow" where did you guys come from? they told me the bus driver reported the guy for whatever he did on the bus and kicking the bus getting off and said that he was going after a pedestrian (me). Apparently being hostel on public transportation now is an act of terrorism and a felony so that is why the cops responded as they did. Regardless of any Aikido training or even if I had my gun on me today I was glad to see them because of the unknown that was coming back out of the bushes.

This is why I carry and have received defense training, because when I woke up this morning I had no idea just how interesting the morning would be. But I was ready even if I didn't have my gun with me. I can tell you I will not leave it at home again. ;)

Take care!

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Long story short. . .Remember Colin Ferguson? Fellow who shot 6 or 7 people on the Long Island Railroad a few years back, then acted as his own defense in the courtroom and proved himself to be a raving lunatic?

I was going to see a client on Long Island that day, but she moved the meeting to her son's business in CT the night before, so I was in Stamford instead. Read the paper the next day and my jaw hit the table. I would have been going in the other direction, but I would have been on the same line at the same time as that whacko. Been carrying ever since.

JPC

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
we live in a non carry state, but a gun (pistol/rifle/both) is always in the trunk of the car. i go to a local range three times a week and belong to a private 24 hour range so have a viable reason for them being in the car if addressed by LEO's.

basically we no longer feel safe as the meth problem here (among others) is way out of hand. a few months back we had two men shot and killed just two blocks away in a drug related shooting. last friday night shots were fired at a car just 1/2 block away in what we now know was a drug/domestic thing combined.

i have the right and responcibility to protect my family, myself, and others, if need be, and am choosing to accept that while trying to stay within the legal bounds regarding carry in our state.

be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I started later than most I know. I was about 45. Had alway's been interested in guns somewhat but never been around them much. Daddy was BIG into fishing but not hunting. He only owned a pellet gun for the turtles in the creek. He said they messed up his fishin.
I joined the National Guard MP unit. Several of the guys were PD and had lots of interesting stories. I got my permit (before owning gun) then joined Auxiliary PD. First only carry was duty gun - Ruger P94 in .40 caliber. Good shooting gun but kinda big for concealed carry. Worked for me tho.
Later I bought smaller for CC then another and another.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Taxi_Driver said:
If someone hasn't seen this...... do so.
Sorry guys... This was actually proven to be a planned event and a total hoax.... However the principle is definitely important, there are insane people all around us.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I figure the day I don't have a gun, is the one day that I will need one.
unfortunately I don't get to carry at work or on campus at college. Thus I spend the day tryin to maintain awareness and combat my tendency to day dream about having a gun. After a rash of armed robberies, mostly in student parking areas, staying alert and being mindful of the color code has taken on a lot more signifigance.

·
Banned
570 Posts
NaturalSelector said:
Sorry guys... This was actually proven to be a planned event and a total hoax.... However the principle is definitely important, there are insane people all around us.
I have to admit I thought it was convenient that there was a tire iron on the curb.

I showed it to a friend and the discussion turned - what would you do?

The argument could be made that at no time does the beautiful person threaten the life of the driver. And that for the driver to have taken action via deadly force - may or may not have been justifiable in some very liberal communities in the US.

Good luck

·
Registered
89 Posts
So the woman in the car wanted to get it smashed up? Pardon the political incorrectness, but she didn't look like the sort to plan a hoax with this guy. How was it proven to be a hoax? Was it CG? I just don't get how it could be a hoax and how it would benefit the producer other than getting it all over the net. I saw a longer version where he went after another vehicle too.

-Patrick

·
Registered
735 Posts
Man I would have ran that guy over! and as soon as he smashed out the driver window and the others that would have been enough for me to use deadly force. I would never ever do anything like this to some and or there car for that matter and I expect the same respect for me and my property. Yes it does look like it is staged to the extent that the wrench was there but I think the car was a random choice showing he could do anything he want's without consequence. I'm sorry but that dude would have a Good Year stamped to his face if it were me and my car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I received my first CCW when I was 21, I was working as a bodyguard and was a reserve deputy. For a while I stop carrying and would only carry if I was taking long trips or had to go into the city. But since the New Orleans disaster, I carry all the time and will probably always carry.

I like what CW Spook said:

Becuase there are sheep, there are wolves and there are sheepdogs.

I'll take being a Sheepdog.

Brian

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.