1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be getting a Kimber Warrior soon and I am looking for magazines. I have heard often that the factory magazines are crap and do not work well. This seems odd, because my other guns magazines work fine.

Anyhow, after taking the expert advice of the experienced 1911'ners on this board I found that Wilson Combat makes the best magazines availble. I browsed Wilson's website and I was kinda overwhelmed at the choices. I have heard that the real Warrior is supplied with Wilson Combat 47D. Is this true?

Also if it is true, why not one of the other models? The 47D seems like it sticks out of the bottom of the gun, taking away from having a flush bottom. Any reason why the 47D?

Thanks for your time and I will picking up TWO of these mags for the Warrior. I just need to find out exactly what model to select and where the cheapest place on the internet is. Thanks!

Here is the website I found:
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_magazines.asp

·
Registered
108 Posts
+ 1 on wilson,cmc,tripp,or metalform. I have used all but the tripp mags and some of them work in my 1911's and some dont.Example: my kimber likes all of them, springfields in the past liked the cmc and metalform but not wilson
thats why i have 5 or more of each.YMMV

·
Registered
735 Posts
All the above are good choices and Wilson would be the top choice out of them but I would check out the Cobra mags by Tripp. They are better made IMO than even the Wilson's, they have the comparisons on their website, better springs and they also have a loading feature that the Wilson does not (to my knowledge) with the bullet angeling up towards the barral and sitting higher for easier loading.

Check them out. I have 5 that I just got last week and they are top notch.

http://www.trippresearch.com/products/products.htm

·
Registered
22 Posts
kimber should be fine

for my kimber i use colt, kimber, cmc, wilson and they all run fine...maybe other users just had bad luck with kimber mags or something. to me personally, if it sits flush aganst the grips the view is just more aesthetically pleasing to the eye. however, the wilson mags grew on me too after awhile.

oh yeah, i personally think wilson mags have a better follower system in the mags...up to you really.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I personally prefer the Wilson mags. I think there is probably a pretty good reason that just about everyone who issues the 1911 today specs them for issue with the guns (SOCOM Marines, LAPD SWAT, FBI SWAT etc.) I have about 15 of them.

Also, I noticed you said you were going to buy two of them. I hope that's just for starters. No matter what magazine-fed firearm you are using, you should have, at minimum, two "sets" of mags, and rotate them out every 3-6 months. This keeps the springs from getting worn out sooner.

I personally have a minimum of 10 mags for every mag-fed firearm I own just in case they become unavailable for any unforeseen reason, in the future. Also, because the guns are useless without mags.

Good luck, and enjoy the new gun...

·
Registered
23 Posts
In search of flush mags

Are any of the Wilson mags truly flush (see pic) with the bottom of the handle? I am looking to buy mags for my stainless II and I can't seem to find any mags that fit like the stock Kimber mag. I was hoping to get 8 round mags but I'm willing to sacrifice the extra round in order to get a magazine that fits perfectly flush. Please post a pic if you have a flush fitting mag that is not made by Kimber. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you want a more reliable Kimber mag, buy a Wilson Combat spring and follower kit. I have done this with all of my factory Kimber and Colt mags. You can also choose from the 7 or 8 round kits.

Of course you cant beat the Wilson 47D.:rock:

·
Registered
80 Posts
just got done shooting my SS TLE with the new 8rd Kimpro Tac mags, they are pretty sweet, they also come with one extra flush metal base, and two different size pads if you ever want to go that route, plus the teflon follower, pretty sweet combo

I haven't ever had any problems with my orig mag, but was looking for some 8rd mags when I heard about the Kimpro ones, they are like $29.99

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.