1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to find some high-quality magazines akin to the wilson 47d, but with no base pad so it works with mil-type and other leather mag pouches I have. Who makes them? What I have found so far is:

Metal Form, only metal followers
Wolff - makes no-pad types but can't find out what type of followers they use (they don't say).

Anyone else have good mags that work as well/built as well as Wilson but without the ugly black pads? I am indifferent overall as to 7 or 8rd. Either is OK with me.

·
Premium Member
20,402 Posts
I've recently heard that Metalform has an orange plastic follower available...

·
Banned
410 Posts
Para at least used to make them for single stacks; my OPS came with them but I have not been successful in finding more.

You might check Novak, although they have a steel follower. I plan to replace the steel follower in the Novak mag that came with my STI with the Wilson combat spring/follower upgrade. That will also bump it from 6 to 7 rounds (officers length).

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Just curious, Kamerer -- why only polymer and not metal followers?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Tripp Research Generation 2 seven round magazines with the hybrid followers.

·
Hold my beer & watch this
5,570 Posts
Those Tripps look pretty good. I'm thinking of getting the spring/follower kits and upgrading some CMC's,if it's doable.

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
ColtM1911A1 said:
Just curious, Kamerer -- why only polymer and not metal followers?
Better function. I was wondering why Baer and Wilson only use plastic followers (and have such a great reputation). I've experimented with various mags (various "GI", Chip McCormick, Baer, and Wilson). What I learned is that I can take ANY magazine and drop in the wilson-type follower and it works great, as long as the top of the spring provides nice even contact with the follower.

The problem is that the flat metal followers can twist and bend under pressure - they dont' have enough stability/rigidity in the mag as they rise to prevent this. Most critically this comes into play for lockback after the last round.

The plastic ones have long vertical sides that provide lateral tension 360 degrees around so the follower base is pretty much always oriented in the same angle, thus offering the next round and then the slide stop shelf at the same angle every time. A much better mousetrap. I don't really care if it's metal or plastic, but since it's easier to form in plastic, all of the followers with that side curtain are built out of plastic.

I have five 1911's, and besides the one mag in each gun, I want my four "belt" magazines to be able to work in any gun, and I only get that with the plastic followers.

What I imagine I'll do to make it cost efficient is to buy some CMC mags or such, then add some Wilson spring/follower kits to get the flat metal base and follower-type I need/want.

So that's what's driving my question. Also, padded mags won't work with my GI belt pouch, or these pouches I'm really fond of. I bought them a while back from a retired Texas ranger who had used them.

They won't accommodate the bumper pads. I may do as 2TransAms above and add the wilson kit to the CMC or metal form mags with flat steel bases.

I will have to look into what Marine05 said - I saw tripp foloowers for $2.86 each at Midway- I thought they were tripp specific for their double stack, but if they fit a regular single stack then that may be the cost effective way to go! Marine05, have you put them in other mags?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Kamerer said:
Better function. I was wondering why Baer and Wilson only use plastic followers (and have such a great reputation). I've experimented with various mags (various "GI", Chip McCormick, Baer, and Wilson). What I learned is that I can take ANY magazine and drop in the wilson-type follower and it works great, as long as the top of the spring provides nice even contact with the follower.

The problem is that the flat metal followers can twist and bend under pressure - they dont' have enough stability/rigidity in the mag as they rise to prevent this. Most critically this comes into play for lockback after the last round.

The plastic ones have long vertical sides that provide lateral tension 360 degrees around so the follower base is pretty much always oriented in the same angle, thus offering the next round and then the slide stop shelf at the same angle every time. A much better mousetrap. I don't really care if it's metal or plastic, but since it's easier to form in plastic, all of the followers with that side curtain are built out of plastic.

I have five 1911's, and besides the one mag in each gun, I want my four "belt" magazines to be able to work in any gun, and I only get that with the plastic followers.

What I imagine I'll do to make it cost efficient is to buy some CMC mags or such, then add some Wilson spring/follower kits to get the flat metal base and follower-type I need/want.

So that's what's driving my question. Also, padded mags won't work with my GI belt pouch, or these pouches I'm really fond of. I bought them a while back from a retired Texas ranger who had used them.

They won't accommodate the bumper pads. I may do as 2TransAms above and add the wilson kit to the CMC or metal form mags with flat steel bases.

I will have to look into what Marine05 said - I saw tripp foloowers for $2.86 each at Midway- I thought they were tripp specific, but if they fit a regular single stack then that may be the cost effective way to go!

Well, you answered my question, and let's just say (after your lengthy presentation concerning metal versus plastic -- which by the way, I don't agree with for the most part) that I believe you should get the Tripp Research and stuff them inside either the bodies of your extra Wilson 47D or the heavier bodied McCormick Power Mags -- that should get your desire of a darn good package with a plastic follower and a metal reinforcement at the slide release point, and it's quite reliable, from my experience. Use a good spring and you'll be fine (chrome silicon also recommended)...

I have these as well as a lot of different setups (including flat/dimpled/original and the MetalForm round plus newest CheckMate design) and they all work in my Government & Commanders. But for your specific requirements, the Tripp/Wilson/McCormick combination should satisfy...good luck

·
Registered
473 Posts
Metalform has a round top metal follower that has a long skirt to keep from rocking back and forth. I have about 6 of these and they have been all flawless in function.

Wolffs is a metal follower also...a step design/shelf design. They also have minimal movement/rocking ability. They are the same as PSI/ACT/Novak except wolff stuffs theirs with their own spring. I have two novaks, again no mag related functions to date.

I think what you are really looking for are magazines that have followers with a front skirt, vs the original design. This isn't entirely limited to just polymer followers. If you go to Tech talk at tripp research there is a section on followers demonstrating quite a few different types.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have metalforms in stock with orange nylon followers... they can be had with several follower options.. flat & round metal, as well as the nylon. I too have found that skirted metal.. or the plastics, tend to function best over the long haul.

I know of at least one well known custom gunsmtih that ships his guns with a Wilson/Metalform hybrid magazine.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Marine05 said:
Tripp Research Generation 2 seven round magazines with the hybrid followers.
+1,000,000. The best there are. Also, look at the Wilson 47C and Ed Brown mags.

·
Registered
323 Posts
2TransAms said:
Those Tripps look pretty good. I'm thinking of getting the spring/follower kits and upgrading some CMC's,if it's doable.
I've upgraded all of my metalforms, Browns and Wilsons with the Tripp upgrade kits and every one works flawlessly. Not sure about how they'll work with the CMCs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts