1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In another thread, I asked about low volume American manufacturers of Hi Powers. This got me thinking. What if manufacturers tried to clone the Hi Power the way they've done 1911s? Who do ya'll think could build a good one?

My picks are:

Ruger (Yes, I'm serious.): The FN MKIII pistol already has a cast frame, and Ruger is great at casting things. They make a quality 1911 at an attractive price, I can't see why they couldn't build a budget Hi Power. I'm sure they'd fill it with MIM components. I'm fine with that, as long as it maintains parts compatibility with FN pistols, and is priced accordingly.

Nighthawk: They did a great job modifying FN pistols, they should look into making their own.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
S&W? The S&W 3Gen line had a wide following and was done well, but that was a different era/market/company structure. Make an alloy frame and stainless frame version!
Realistically it won't happen due to a low profit margin compared to polymer. Production numbers would be low, so pricing and quality would need to be high.
A smaller high-end manufacturer could do it. Nighthawk would be a solid bet... and it would be nice.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Fabrique Nationale Herstal. And it wouldn't be a clone.
Agree with the OP. I own several SR1911's, and too many Mark II's and Mark III's...ranging from "plinkers" to target pistols. I've never, ever had a problem with a Ruger.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'd like Heckler&Koch to make a 'USP Expert' slide and barrel that fit the FN mk3 frame as is.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Springfield Armory USA

CHINA NORINCO could make a nice BHP clone just like the ones they used during WW2 with a tangent rear adjustable sight and slot in the back for a stock / holster

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Springfield Armory USA

CHINA NORINCO could make a nice BHP clone just like the ones they used during WW2 with a tangent rear adjustable sight and slot in the back for a stock / holster
Norinco handguns were banned from import many years ago. If they weren't, we'd probably be able to buy a clone of every popular handgun ever made. I wont lament the loss of new Norinco products, since I don't like the way China treats Hong Kong residents. I may buy used Norinco products when I stumble across them though. The last thing the Chinese need is more money.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CZ. Even under the DW banner it would be no doubt stellar.
CZ isn't an American name. Though the Eastern bloc can build a good Hi Power, as we've seen with FEG P9M and the Arcus 94.

A Dan Wesson Hi Power sounds intriguing, but with CZ USA importing SAO CZ-75s, I doubt we'd see such a thing.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
CZ isn't an American name. Though the Eastern bloc can build a good Hi Power, as we've seen with FEG P9M and the Arcus 94.

A Dan Wesson Hi Power sounds intriguing, but with CZ USA importing SAO CZ-75s, I doubt we'd see such a thing.
I don't believe the OP was limiting the HP discussion to just American manufacturers. Here it mentions simply 'mainstream' manufacturers. But hell, what do I know? After all, English is my 2nd language! :)

Anyway, of all the mainstream guys, I've come to expect nothing but top notch work from CZ. If anyone could do it right, it would be them. But, whether they would care to is a totally different story.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The new Dan Wesson DWX is a modern Hipower without patent problems regarding the trigger when the BHP was developed back in the 1920'ies.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think Tisas is doing a pretty good job already. I enjoy mine. I will say the idea of a Hi-Power clone from the DW custom shop does sound like a pretty good idea though. I'd buy one

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The new Dan Wesson DWX is a modern Hipower without patent problems regarding the trigger when the BHP was developed back in the 1920'ies.
That gun is as much as a Hi Power as a Porshe is a Corvette. The DWX is basically a Wilson X9 with CZ ergonomics. It's a nice gun, but not a Hi Power by any means.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
How about Colt? Contrary to popular belief they can make a good product. And the association of JMB is there. The prancing pony would look pretty cool on a HP.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would like to see a upgraded Hi-Power made by a major manufacturer. Call it a Mk IV. It would include a mount for light, NO mag safety, better sights and perhaps a polymer frame. I would not care who made it, as long as it was a quality firearm.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How about Colt? Contrary to popular belief they can make a good product. And the association of JMB is there. The prancing pony would look pretty cool on a HP.
They can make a good product, they just can't market it well, or price it competitively.

Honestly, it would be neat to see Browning use one of their U.S facilities to bring back the Hi Power. Maybe they could give the Black label treatment, like they've done their current pistols. However, if this does happen, I hope they keep that atrocious "Buckmark" symbol off of it.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I agree that Ruger would be able to produce a quality HP clone and a fair price. :)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
They can make a good product, they just can't market it well, or price it competitively.

Honestly, it would be neat to see Browning use one of their U.S facilities to bring back the Hi Power. Maybe they could give the Black label treatment, like they've done their current pistols. However, if this does happen, I hope they keep that atrocious "Buckmark" symbol off of it.
I do believe they could manufacture a quality HP clone in their Utah facility ( where they made the .22 pistols and rifle ).

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts

I agree, and it would be nice to see Browning do it. In your post though you asked for a company to clone the HP. I was thinking this meant a company other than Browning.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ruger should make a Wiley Clapp version - 4" barrel, alloy frame, stainless slide, improved sights, no mag safety, improved and more 1911-like safety, very slim G10 grips, checkered front and back straps.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts