1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Beretta 1201 (post ban manufacture) in basically stock configuration. The tube will hold five 3" shells. I like it pretty much the way it is but someone made a suggestion that it would be better suited as a defensive shotgun with a full length pistol grip stock. I was under the impression that an auto-loading shot gun could only have one evil device and not 2 like auto-loading rifles, and that my evil device was a hi-cap tube. This person told me that the Beretta 1201 was specifically exempted in the assualt weapons bill. I could not find what he was talking about. Still looks to me like it only applies to pre-ban auto shotguns. Does anyone here have a through knowledge of this?

Thanks

OT

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
You cant have a pistol grip and more than 5 round capacity. I had to put on a straight rifle stock on my Benelli when I put on the 4 shot mag extension (making it 7+1).

·
Registered
203 Posts
That's a great answer!...exactly what I was thinking...only I would have said: Sniveling, spineless jellyfish politicians (I dont think we can just characterize them solely as leftists now - - too many Republicans going down the gun control path too) pandering votes from the communist leaning media and sheeple looking to subvert and prevert the rights of law abiding people.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I don't believe as you are not actually modifying the magazine right....? You can legally load 12 rounds of .40 cal into a 15 round 9mm and it is legal - maybe not reliable, but legal.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Dear Sam,

To see the legal definition scroll down to (30)(D) at http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/921.html If it will hold more than five shells and has one of the other features then it would be a semiautomatic assault weapon. Happy holidays! Gary

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
sam1963 said:
Is it illegal to load 8 minis shells in a pistol grip gun that holds
5 3 inch shells?
that doesnt apply to pump actions, and i beleive that the mini shells dont work in most autoloading shottys. also i think the capacity is based onwhat the gun was made for...so if it can shoot 3 inch shells but was made primarily for the 2.75 inch shells (as with most shotguns) then the capacity of the 2.75 inch shells would be the ones used to mesure the hi-cap situation.

jrj-thats only true if you have in no way modified the magazine, and it still works in the gun and caliber it was designed for...if the magazine has been modified in any permenant way (that includes bending of feed lips, since you need to be able to remove it from the gun in which its a hicap and immediatly use it in the origional gun) then you became the manufacter of a illegal post ban hi cap. Thats why the guys (i want to say hesse) that make the 50AE ar-15 can use 30 round post ban mag bodies legally to make their post ban 10 round 50AE mags...it will no longer work in the origional gun and caliber

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Here in CA, a shotgun is an assault weapon (and thus completely banned) if it's magazine-fed, and semi-automatic action. This one I'm sure of.

Pistol grip on a semi-auto, I don't remember, since I don't have a semi-auto.

It is allowed to have a pistol grip on a pump, or single-shot. Mine are pumps, so this one I'm sure of too.

·
Registered
173 Posts
United States Code, Title 18, Chapter 44, Section 921:

(30) The term ''semiautomatic assault weapon'' means:.....
.....(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of -
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the
action of the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

IOW, Semi-auto and one feature is fine. Two features makes it eeeviiiil.

A rifle has to be semi-automatic AND take detachable magazines before it falls under the AWB. A semi-auto rifle with fixed mags (Yugo SKS w/ original mag, for example) can have all the nifty, evil toys on it you want.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts