1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excuse me, I am a new guy... Have a CBOB and love it.

That said, why is it that the black finish 1911's are so much more expensive than the SS? Like the CCO over the CBOB? Even the VBOB SS is much less $$ than the VBOB with the black finish?

What is the difference? Surely the difference is not the only thing causing the big change in price...

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
VBOB Black: start with a VBOB SS and send it out to get it finished. From other threads the 2010 coating sounds like it will be akin to an IonBond or other finish (a surface treatment, not a "coating"). Poke around, see how much it would cost you to have your CBOB finished with the same stuff; someone looked at those numbers and the delta from DW between a VBOB SS and a VBOB black is right in line.

Please do a bit of a search in this forum for the other differences; the fundamental change is forged frames for everything now. You can't compare the CCO to the CBOB; different beasts intentionally (Officer's type vs Commander, aluminum frame vs steel).

The search function works incredibly well on this site; in fact it's one of the best that I've come across in my entire "Internet lifetime".

·
Registered
514 Posts
Do we even know what this finish is yet? All I can recall hearing is that it is a "treatment".
What is this treatment?, Is it a newly discovered wonder treatment just for DW?, If not who else is using it? and How does it stand up versus other similarly priced finishes?

And why does it cost $385 more on the Vbob but "only" $319 more on the Valor - (obviously a marketing/supply and demand factor)

I am willing to pay for a good finish but I, at least, dont know enough about this one yet.

2TransAms,
While "a good finish aint cheap" is a true statement, it is not enough information for me to know if this one is worth almost $400.

·
Banned
486 Posts
Search funtion, from a newbie like me! lol

Musta been holding that one since you heard it directed at you.

New threads are not bad! THat's where people who didn't think to ask the question may see this and be helped by it. I have seen threads like this make the think of stuff I would search for, if I ever thought about it.

But I am almost positive we are here to post and that's the whole point.

Nothing but love man, I am just so tired of that one, it would be good on stupid questions like,
what does 1911 stand for?
Or what dose semi auto mean?
Which end of the clip goes in first?

that's what search is for one a good strong board with new conversations coming all the time. Not stuff that could beniifit others.
If I am wrong I still like to think in this forum i can ask anything, and so far, that's the case.:rock:

I think 2 tone may cost a little more just for the cosmetic value.
I happen to like to carry power looking non reflective black, that way in the parking lot if I have to pull it, everyone for 2 miles can see my pretty stainless cbob, and wouldn't get any flash or reflections from my cco.

And I think putting a slide coating on a stainless gives the cool look of 2 tone and the slide (not covered by your hand) isn't too flashy compared to a full stainless.

Lastly, when I bought my first truck, they charged more for 2 tone, some of that matters, because right now I want a 2 tone bad, so I would pay more for one, that's my point.

(i would send it to Dave, he just doesn't like me) lol :biglaugh:

and I really was being sincere about the search, It's just backward sounding to have a board to discuss and learn about one brand of gun, learning about it, and to say we want to keep the posts down and just search read and move on. But I didn't mean it in a smart assed way.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Reminding someone that the search function on this board works very well is not blowing off their question. Please reread my post: I answered his question based on what I've read in threads here. Telling him a search would be worthwhile is a way of ensuring he has more complete information. Think of it as "getting a second opinion". Too often people never look past the titles on the first page, which often means they miss a good deal of information. Searching allows them to find all of it.

Actually, no, I've not had a "did you search" directed at me on this board. Perhaps it's because I came across this http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=77733 stickied at the top of the DW forum and often followed it's advice. I deeply apologize if my attempt to ensure he had as complete an answer as possible offended you. I will endeavor to improve my responses in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
I am going to send my CBOB to Dave to get the Hardhat put on it after the New Year. I just love the black CBOB's, they look great. Anybody have a pic of the new black VBOB, must have missed it.

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Personally, I have a passion for the stainless look. When I get a VBOB (yes, when, not if) it will not be black.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
I like them both about the same. There is something that screams BADA$$ when I look at my blacked out Hard Hat'd Valor though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a valor in black (old treatment 2009 Valor) I want to send mine back to get the new treatment, anybody get any quotes on how much to get a full gun refinished with the new treatment? Then too will purchase a stainless Vcbob I always liked stainless guns better then black ones as well but something about the Valor cought my eye with its understated beauty and its still all business without flashing 20 engravings for every part on it, thats why its my full time carry gun. Only thing that sucks is if I send my Valor back for the new finish before I buy a vcbob I'll be stuck carrying my only backup pistol a Taurus PT99. Dont get me wrong I trust the taurus with my life moreso then the DW at this point only because I have had 500rds ball and 50 hydrashok though the Valor since new no fails so I trust it but the taurus has been through a stint of 3000rds no cleaning over a 3 month period not 1 failure, its a big ole gun but its been the most trustworthy piece I have owned yet, I'm sure the DW is just as trustworthy but have not had the time to torture test it yet.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Let's face it, this is all WAY too new for any of us who didn't have a hand in developing or refining this new finish to know much of anything about it at all. Like 2TA said, the most descriptive bit of information the general public has been given to this point is "better than Ion bond". I'm sure after SHOT there will be a flood of information available. We'll all just have to wait and learn together. :)
Sarge

·
Registered
627 Posts
Let's face it, this is all WAY too new for any of us who didn't have a hand in developing or refining this new finish to know much of anything about it at all. Like 2TA said, the most descriptive bit of information the general public has been given to this point is "better than Ion bond". I'm sure after SHOT there will be a flood of information available. We'll all just have to wait and learn together. :)
Sarge
+1

And while SHOT could disprove it. Keith is very knowledgeable about guns and with Dave keeping him in line on these forums along with a great reputation, I choose to trust keith until proven otherwise, which should be shortly after SHOT.

Oh and Black is just shexy.:biglaugh:

·
Banned
486 Posts
Reminding someone that the search function on this board works very well is not blowing off their question. Please reread my post: I answered his question based on what I've read in threads here. Telling him a search would be worthwhile is a way of ensuring he has more complete information. Think of it as "getting a second opinion". Too often people never look past the titles on the first page, which often means they miss a good deal of information. Searching allows them to find all of it.

Actually, no, I've not had a "did you search" directed at me on this board. Perhaps it's because I came across this http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=77733 stickied at the top of the DW forum and often followed it's advice. I deeply apologize if my attempt to ensure he had as complete an answer as possible offended you. I will endeavor to improve my responses in the future.
I was kidding because you did it,that lol was typed in there to show it.
When I am mad, which dosen't happen much, I would not be mad over posting words man.

I wanted to give a 2 way perspective on the search. I did and do searches, but there is so many times a word can be said on a forum this big. That's all I mean. Please don't take it so seriouly, I don't want you to endevor to do a thing bud. I don't have any say here. We are on a private board posting information, I would never get mad over that. I learned long ago that being mean and crappy isn't going to get you anywhere on the net. I am here to contribute and learn. I mean nothing near what you took it as and I am sorry you took it so serioulsy.

I do see that post on so many threads, I just thought I would point it out joking around just to put it out there.

I agree search first, I just don't post it, it alwasy sounds like "we don't want to talk about it again, dig it up" And usually it's meant that way, but you didn't and I was only picking on ya. Take it easy man, I didn't mean to get under your skin, you have no reason to be upset or post anything but what you want to.

ok? We good?

·
Banned
486 Posts
(i would send it to Dave, he just doesn't like me) lol :biglaugh:

wow, I may be right, I must have gotten to excited think I was part of this forum, but I don't think I am quite as normal as I thought.

Anyone reccomend soemone to me to do custom work and finshes that you trust with your guns? I have 4 projects I am ready to do, and I need 2 coatings done. Been trying to get it done, I need someone to do it I guess.

·
Registered
872 Posts
wow, I may be right, I must have gotten to excited think I was part of this forum, but I don't think I am quite as normal as I thought.

Anyone reccomend soemone to me to do custom work and finshes that you trust with your guns? I have 4 projects I am ready to do, and I need 2 coatings done. Been trying to get it done, I need someone to do it I guess.
NORMALis a setting on a washing machine. :biglaugh:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts