1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing mention of the "blocky" or "square" frames on the WWII milspecs. Is this something that also comes on the standard milspec? What about the rest of the Springfield line.
Does anyone have a pic of what makes it blocky? Or a blocky vs. rounded pic?

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,212 Posts
There are lots of pics on the forum, of both styles. For about 10 years, the front strap and dust covers of Springfield pistols were not as rounded as those of Colt/G.I. spec. The easiest way to tell is to look at the frame, between the front edge of the grip panel, and where the front strap radius turns into the flat. On a "round" frame, there will be only a sliver of flat visible, while on a "square" frame, there will be more than 1/8" of flat exposed. The contours of the dust cover, similarly square, make putting a Springfield into some "1911" holsters problematical. Early last year, Springfield went back to the round profile, although some more recent guns - the WWII Mil-Spec and nickel .38 Super - had or have the old contour.

·
Banned
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, now that I know what to look for I get it.

It would appear from their website though that you can have a blocky grip and a rounded dustcover judging by several pictures. I don't seem to see any blocky dustcovers and rounded grips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts