1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Springfield 1911 A-1 and was wondering if anyone can tell me what model it is?

If it's called a 1911 A-1, Please excuse the ignorance.

I am basically wondering if this is a good platform to build a good carry gun.

I think the previous owner did some modifications to it. I think he put on a new grip safety and also adjustable target sights. I also understand that he didn't shoot it very much.

I find the trigger short and hard, so it's tough to be accurate with it. When i first got it the sights were so far off the shots weren't even on the paper at 7 yards. The target sight are also sitting on top of the slide and would need to be "cut in" to fit properly.

So basically i'm wondering how much money i would be spending to have a new longer trigger installed and lightend, and the sights installed properly.

I'm going to post a couple of pics for reference

Thanks for your help.

Blombo

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One Final Pic

I'm fairly new to 1911's, but thought i better get a least one in the cocked and locked position so as not to be totally disregarded.

Thanks again for any guidance and advice. I posted a few days ago in the Gunsmithing section seeking a recommendation for a Gunsmith in MN. Any advice about who to send it to would be appreciated. It's my first 1911 and i want something that is reliable and shoots well, but don't want to spend a fortune to make it a family heirloom. Any ideas about how much i will need to spend would be helpful.

Blombo

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,428 Posts
It's a Milspec, not the current model, probably a couple of year old at least. Once you've located a good pistolsmith, have him replace the rear sight and front sight, go with a Novak or Heinie. Sights and labor would be around $100. That drop in beavertail looked a little funky, you may want to spend $100 and have the 'smith installed a real beavertail, a Wilson is the easiest to fit to a Springfield. Trigger job would start at $50 (depends on how you want it, carry or strictly target) plus the cost of the trigger of your choice. Prices are ballpark only. Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback

Thanks again for the feedback. This forum is great. It helps to know a ballpark figure on the mods i am considering.

Thanks again,

Blombo

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
It's definitely an older Mil-Spec. If you want to set it right again, there is a fair chance of picking up take-off parts you need right here on this forum.

If not, a new CMC trigger is about $20, and it is easy enough to fit yourself. A long Colt trigger can be had from Numrich if that is what you want. The Mil-Spec rear sight will work fine, or you can have a Novak installed if you are willing to pay to have the slide milled for it. I'd go back to the mil-spec grip safety and hammer myself. If you like this Commander hammer look, then a grip safety could be fitted nicely to accomodate it.

There are several good things about this gun. The old blocky frontstrap is great for recontouring and checkering. It's broken in. The grips are nice. Hopefully you got a nice price too. Did you ask if the seller had the old parts?

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
XavierBreath

My boss appoached me earlier this year and told me of a friend who was trying to liquidate some weapons to fund a new project. My boss described him as a guy who buys a lot of guns but doesn't shoot a lot.

Anyway my boss bought a couple of shotguns from him & a SA Micro compact. He also picked up the Springfield A1 for for me and said he would gladly hang on to it if i didn't want it. He negotiated a price for all of the guns and i ended up paying $275. So to answer your quetion i think i got a good price.

By the way, did i mention that i have an extremely cool boss. :)

I did receive a zip lock baggy of original parts, but didn't really look to see what was in it. I think it was the grip safety and some other stuff. It also came w/ hogue fingered grips which i didn't care for so i picked up these at a gun show. They look very similar to the ones on a Kimber Eclipse, although that's tough to see in the pics.

By the way, thanks to everyone who has been responding to my posts. I appreciate the opportunity to learn from your experience.

Blombo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts