1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wouldn't mind adding removable magazine kit and maybe make it look more like an AK or AR.

Currently it is a stock Yugoslavian in very good condition.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
What modificaions can you do? Depends on where you live. You didn't say.

·
Registered
485 Posts
You can make whatever modifications you want as long as the rifle is 922r compliant.

Hint: use U.S. made parts.

http://922r.com/

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Wouldn't mind adding removable magazine kit and maybe make it look more like an AK or AR.

Currently it is a stock Yugoslavian in very good condition.
The things I like about an SKS is:

#1 it doesn't look like an AK
#2 it doesn't handle like an AK

There is no real reason to try and make it look like an AR.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a bit front-heavy, especially with bayonet and grenade launcher on it.

I shot an AR on Thanksgiving, and I definitely do not want one. Feels like a stamped out toy. But, light, easy to shoot for a long time.

So far, I have put a red-dot sight on the SKS, but didn't like how bulky it was (the kind with the big tube on top and you only see the dot when looking through the tube).

Ordered an M1-type peep sight to put on the SKS, should be arriving any day now. Tech-Sights...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have an Chinese made SKS I bought years ago. The stock is immaculate and I like the look. I did swap out the stock 10 round mag for detachable 30 round mags and have had no problems with it. I look at cars, bikes, and guns all the same, I'm only going to modify it to make it work better, I don't care what it looks like!

edit: Why change the sights, I find the stock sights to be accurate and easily adjustable.....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, not doing anything permanent to the gun. I figured I would try these sights out and see if I like. If not, they come right off.

I always liked the sights on the M1...

·
Registered
793 Posts
It is more accurate than an AK as well, I use 30 round mags and they run great. You just remove the factory mag it no trouble at all. I have an adjustable stock too, I like it and it can all be put back to factory if I decide too.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
I prefer the milspec look, i.e. Y.G.I. = Yugoslavanian Govt Issue.

The last 25 years they have imported all types of SKS from around the globe. Once bubba screws it up, it has gone from truck gun to door stop or a paperweight, JMHO, YMMV

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
I too wouldn't change the appearance of an SKS. Good, old school rifle. Something I really dislike is SKS's and AK's dressed up like AR's. :barf:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I have a Chinese born SKS and swapped a bunch of parts to make it compliant for a folding stock. I swapped magazines (followers and bodies), hand guards and the stock. I'm almost 100% sure that makes it 922r compliant.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Change only the firing pin to a spring one and make a trigger job.spend the rest of your money on ammo and enjoy it as it is :D

Regards
mag357.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have installed that sight as mentioned above, but have not tried it out. Been to busy doing other things in these short winter afternoons.

If I don't like it, the stock sights go back on. They worked fine.

·
Registered
237 Posts
You can make whatever modifications you want as long as the rifle is 922r compliant.

Hint: use U.S. made parts.

http://922r.com/
^^THIS^^. Doesn't matter where you live, 922r is FEDERAL law. Please be very careful and read the law and understand why you can own an SKS and what you're allowed to modify.

Technically, it has enough "evil features" to make it illegal to import:
1. Night sights, although based on age they probably don't work anymore.
2. Bayonet

However, because of its age, it is Curio and Relic eligible. As a Curio and Relic, you technically can't alter it or it loses its C&R status. So according to the BATFE, removing the bayonet would TECHNICALLY make the firearm ILLEGAL because you've altered it and it is no longer C&R (common sense gun laws!). Now, ATF admits you probably would not be arrested for it, but that's small consolation. I've read the letters....

Read 922r and understand it completely. Use US made parts and if you change anything AT ALL, make sure you have enough US made parts to be compliant with 922R.

I'm sorry, but some of the advice in this thread might put you at odds with Federal law. Sure, chances of anything happening are slim, but do you want to take that chance?

Also, after doing a lot of research on the 30 round removable mags for the SKS, I decided to keep it stock. They are notoriously unreliable. Only thing I changed was the sights. I did remove the bayonet, but kept it with the gun....I could say I was repairing it if ATF ever asked:rolleyes:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FWIW I sighted in those sights and they are very nice...

Got to where I was shooting out the center of a 50-cent piece sized spot at 50 yards.

did no other modifications to the gun. And none of what I have done is permanent.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts