1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I asked this same question last week because I have always used 1.210, which is above the shoulder. I'm now using 1.245, which is just below the shoulder. The crimp is more accurate below the shoulder because the nose is not falling away from the crimp. I think the pressure is lower too. I think the shorter round is more common, which is why I asked what others do. In my experience, the shorter round feeds better across weapons, which is possibly why you don't see many factory rounds crimped below the shoulder.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,305 Posts
1.26"-1.265" is what I've used, for fifteen years. I've had feeding problems when loading as short as 1.215".

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
All my pistols will feed empty cases...in rapid fire.:)

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I'm resurrecting this thread because I loaded some LRN at 1.250 and they bottom out in my case guage. The head will not enter the guage! The shoulder rim of the bullet seems to be resting on the lip in the guage. I also loaded some 200 gr LSWC at the same OAL, with the same effect. Both rounds seem to chamber ok. I'm going to field strip my Kimber next and see how they fit in the chamber. I've always thought the guage was gospel.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I'm resurrecting this thread because I loaded some LRN at 1.250 and they bottom out in my case guage. The head will not enter the guage! The shoulder rim of the bullet seems to be resting on the lip in the guage. I also loaded some 200 gr LSWC at the same OAL, with the same effect. Both rounds seem to chamber ok. I'm going to field strip my Kimber next and see how they fit in the chamber. I've always thought the guage was gospel.
I doubt the problem is the OAL of the cartridge. When you say the head will not enter the gauge, are you referring to the rim end of the case or the bullet? It sounds more like your not getting the case sized down enough towards the rim of the case.

OAL of 1.260 should not give you any problems if everything is right.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I would like to see some pressure readings at the 1.2 compared to the more typical 1.25, etc. It seems like the short length would also translate into higher pressures. Maybe they were referring to LRN Flat Point?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Nope. Cases enter the guage just fine without the bullet seated. I can also spin the round in the guage. We'll see how she sits in the chamber. Could be the guage ain't right, I reckon. First time for everything.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I believe the problem rests with the case guage. Not that it's wrong, it just has a .451 throat, and the lead bullets are .452. Loading the LRN to 1.210 simply keeps the wide part of the bullet from extending into the throat. The guage is meant to determine if a round will fit ANY 45 ACP. Rounds seem to fit the barrel fine. I wonder if the Dillon case guage is built to the same tolerance.

·
Registered
159 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts