1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What one thing did someone say to you, did you read, or figure out on your own that has helped your competition shooting to have improved?

·
Registered
133 Posts
"Relax and let your belly hang."
-Mike Robbins

I took a quick class from him to learn the isocelese stance and shooting while moving. This is the one statement that keeps coming back to me. Whenever things aren't going right in practice or at a match, I just remember it, and I'm back in my groove.

·
Registered
84 Posts
"Concentrate on the front sight instead of marveling at your last shot"

-Anonymous smart-assed RO, last IPSC match.

"If the white hostage target doesn't duck when the shooting starts, it is a collaborator and OK to hit"

-me

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
Hit the hostages first. Take them out of the equation and then settle down for some good shooting.

Practice enough to know where your last shot went and not have to look to see if you got that head shot. Focus on the front sight and run at a speed that allows hits.

Double taps to the body are fairly easy for me( that is if they are close enough
). I was taught at Thunder Ranch to hit the double taps quickly and then say to yourself, "Careful" slowly, while acquiring the sight picture for the head shot.

Personally, I feel much better after a match if my accuracy was good. I sometimes try to go to fast with terrible results.

Good luck

------------------
"What most of these people need is a good slap upside the head. What I don't need is any more lawsuits." John "The Tooz" Matusak

[This message has been edited by BillD (edited 05-11-2001).]

·
Registered
111 Posts
Get your hits first. Speed will come by itself.

Steve

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Originally posted by Alleycat:
Get your hits first. Speed will come by itself.

Steve
Those two sentences have helped me more than anything. You have to hit them to win.

------------------
John

"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away".
Robert K. Dornen, U.S. Congressman. 1995

·
Super Moderator
7,745 Posts
Two things actually.

HTFT- Hit The Flipping Target

Shoot YOUR game.

Then there is me; Speed first, accuracy will come...

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
"TRUST your front sight."
----Jack Manfre

Heard it last week, and watched my shooting improve in the very next string.

------------------
He who fights and runs away had better run pretty damn fast.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
"Shooting at high speed doesn't come from moving fast as much as it comes from economy of motion" -- this from one of two Danish shooters (can't remember which) who have taught me a lot about the mental part of shooting.

There's a reason that "DVC" isn't "VDC" or "CDV". Accuracy, Speed, and Power: that is the proper sequence. If we could add another letter to DVC, that touches on the equipment we use, it should be whatever the first letter of the Latin word for "reliability" is (anybody...? Howd'ya say that in Latin?). Shooting a match and not having to give up a single brainwave to thoughts like, "What if my gun chokes?" is a valuable confidence booster. Knowing that your pistol is very accurate, or, at least, knowing how accurate it is, just exactly what it can and will do, is an incredible help also. Have read an awful lot of articles in the gun mags about "combat accuracy", what's good enough, each author's opinion on how much will do and how much is not really needed at the XX feet (insert favorite expert's statistic) distance of your average scenario.... some of them even seem to imply that more would not be beneficial. Dang, some almost seem to imply that you're a sissy if your 1911 groups well at 50 yards, and that to regain your manhood you should take a Dremel and grind until your groups open up! I figure there's no harm in being able to ding a popper at 100 yards, especially since the days of thinking we must choose between accuracy OR reliability are long over.

-Ned

·
Registered
247 Posts
"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast"
--Rob Haught

When I first started shooting, I was very accurate, but couldn't seem to speed up to save my life. Then Bill Wilson told me... "You don't have to be 100% sure of your target, just 90%" or something to that effect. Since then, my speed has increased incredibly. My accuracy went down at first, but it came back as I became more confident with my speed.

------------------
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

"I have done nothing... for that I am ashamed" --Mel Gibson, The Patriot

·
Registered
260 Posts
The most helpful tip came from Matt Burkett at the 98 Aware. 1)He smacked my arm and told me to stop shooting weaver. He switched me over to modern Icosceles. 2)Take my god damn finger out from in front of the trigger guard. Proper grip of left thumb riding frame, right thumb on gas pedal and touching left knuckle by your palm.
As for speed. Speed wins over accuracy in IPSC. I used to drill straight a's to my hearts content. I experimented and sped way up and got a whole bunch of d and c hits and my scores went way up!!! Nature of the game I guess. However, accuracy did follow and now I shoot fast and accurate. I think there is a case for developing speed first, and accuracy will follow.

DVC

·
Registered
688 Posts
"A slow hit beats a fast miss."

My dad.

------------------
johnnyb
A slow hit beats a fast miss

·
Registered
15 Posts
average A,C hits are best
two A's your going too slow
D's your tettering on the edge
a miss your falling off.

you won't get fast trying to be accurate your A's will just be closer together, but if you push your speed your accuracy will catch up.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Nod to Mile High

·
Registered
111 Posts
As far as scoring goes, in IPSC, you should drop about ten percent of the points on a stage--but only if you trade that accuracy for time. 10 IPSC targets=100 points possible. If you shoot it in, say, ten seconds, all A's, that's a hit factor of 10.0.

If, though, you shoot only 90 points (no mikes) but you do it in 7 seconds, your hit factor goes up to 12.85.

It's a poor example, and the best way to get better fast remains to slow down and get your hits--but if you're shooting all A's, speed up. If you're shooting 75% A's, slow down some.

Steve

1 - 20 of 20 Posts