1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found a casting flaw on the underside of my tisas hammer 1911 today while detail stripping it. It has alot of material left but clearly some is missing, its not chipped but just dented in appearance. I put another few mags through the gun today and no problems. Im changing out the hammer anyway with a S&W commander hammer so its really no big deal. This did get me thinking about what parts are considered high stress and prone to breakage. Im just (finally) starting my 1911 collection so learning all I can so any info will help.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
With a properly fitted 1911, the only thing I have ever had break, is a firing pin stop after 10's of thousands of rounds.

The 1911 can take a lot of stress, assuming things are put together correctly. The fitment of parts is more important than the parts themselves.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
IMHO, the top three offenders....

1) Garbage magazines
2) Slide stop issues/breakage
3) Extractor tension

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
In the booklet Wilson Combat 1911 Auto Maintenance Manual, Bill Wilson states the only parts that have broke in his experience on a properly fit-up 1911 are; slide stop, firing pin stop and extractor, in that order.
Respects, Pedro.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Collet type bushings.

I know everyone always says this about collet bushings but I used a 1911 with a collet bushing for over 10 years and it never broke. When I got rid of the pistol the bushing was still intact.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,331 Posts
I'd say extractors and slide stops are the high-stress parts that break the most.
I've broken two extractors, and one mag catch lock, in 40 years of 1911 shooting. I've had two extractors go limp, in 50yo and 90yo G.I. pistols.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Have to throw ejectors in there too.Legs break and the extensions bend and break from slamming in mags.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I replaced a worn slide stop last week in a 27 year old S.A. 9mm. The part looked o.k. but wouldn't lock back with any of my Colt, SA, or Kimber mags. Got a new one from Springfield during their 30% off sale and dropped it in, problem solved.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
My firing pin broke in half during a match. I had to keep clearing the malfunction when the case would catch during ejection. Only 100,000 rounds and it broke. What a POS! <g>

·
Registered
224 Posts
OK, being fairly new to 1911's and in depth knowledge of them, what's the functional and performance difference between a barrel bushing and a collet bushing? I have looked at photos and can see the slots in the collet but have no idea what the difference in performance / reliability would be?

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,331 Posts
When the barrel tilts up into battery, a collet type bushing is flexed and the spring pressure of the "fingers" holds the barrel in position. It's a way of getting a gap-free fit between barrel and bushing without doing any fitting. The collet bushing can be damaged removing it from the barrel, and they are also susceptible to breaking if the slide isn't machined perfectly. Some think the failure rate is too high compared to the cost of having a solid bushing fitted.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
To elaborate on Rick's post,the end of the barrel steps up and the rear of the bushing fingers have a bump in them.Cycling the bushing is loose on the barrel,but when it finishes locking up those bushing "bumps" ride up the barrel step and rest on the larger diameter,thereby expanding the fingers to grab the slide and make a solid lockup.They broke because the fingers were over stressed by bending in the reverse direction trying to fit in a space too small to work.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Just a follow up. I got a wilson combat spring set and sear. I also got an Ed Brown firing pin. All except the sear literally dropped in and gun fired perfect. The springs made a big difference in overall feel of the controls. Im waiting on a wilson hammer to install the sear. I am stoked about this platform and will add another 1911 asap. Thanks for all who helped with the info.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Never had but one breakage on a 1911, ever, and that was a slidestop lever, which broke during gentle production-assembly of a new (Caspian frame & slide) gun, no stress on the part at all. The lever broke right off the pin.

It was an Ed Brown MIM part, IIRC. No more MIM anything for me since.

(Yeah, yeah, I know, MIM can be OK...blah, blah; don't care, I won't have any.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts