1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always like to have a few spare parts on hand for my handguns, but since i know nothing about hipowers, i dont know wich ones to get. What parts typicaly need replacement the most on these?

·
Administrator
13,406 Posts
Not much to worry about on these . I've been shooting them since the 70's . Replace the recoil spring every 1000-1500 rds . That's about it . On a rare occasion I will change the extractor spring if problems start , which is seldom .

·
Registered
417 Posts
Wolff sells a tune-up kit for HiPowers that has just about every spring except for the sear spring. They're great to have. Other than that, you might want to have an extractor and a firing pin retainer plate around. Of course, if you get those you will never need them.

·
Registered
609 Posts
guy sajer said:
Replace the recoil spring every 1000-1500 rds
isn't that a bit fast? I too like my guns and hope they will stay with me for a long time but I was thinking about switching springs more in a 3.000 rounds range

before I read internetforums I wasn't even aware that this spring actually would need replacement, a lot of older people I know have never changed springs in their guns and a army HP armorer just says: switch the spring when it doesn't seem strong enough to close the slide when you let the slide go forword very slowly manually, so I bet these springs do like 10K rounds

so I was thinking that 18.5 lbs Wolff springs every 3K rounds with standard pressure ammo would do nicely

·
Administrator
13,406 Posts
Too fast ?

It's your call .
Springs are cheap . I consider it to be preventive maintainance . I don't want to wait until it becomes sluggish to replace . As my HP is used for both range gun and personal protection , I consider it cheap insurance . It's also probable that it might increase the life of the pistol . imo
Also , it makes me feel good ;)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Have been shooting hi-powers for 15 or 16 years and averaging maybe 10,000 rounds per year through them. I've had a firing pin retaining plate break and had two ejectors get enough slop in them that I replaced them. Nothing else other than changing the recoil spring every 2-3K rounds. I change out ALL springs on the guns every year or so just for the hell of it. Overkill? Maybe...but I also have never had anything happen to a major part of any gun that I've owned while people who seem to be more blase or downright reckless with their guns seem to see frame cracks and things like that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.