1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Comp-Tac MTAC holster for my commander 1911 bobtail. It like the only place where is actually fits comfortably is at about 6 o'clock...right in the small of my back. I've positioning it 3-4 o'clock, but it just feels too big and bulky there. Does anyone else carry theres at 6 o'clock? The only problem that I have with it is that it's hard to get to, and hard to holster.

Here is a pic.

This is what is looks like when I carry it at the 1:00-1:30 position. It feel great when I'm walking around, but if I try to sit.....it's a pain.

Is there any problem carrying it like this?

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
3:30 is the preferred position with everyone I know. It takes a little getting used to. Looks like you've got a left handed setup. That makes a difference! What you describe as a 1:00 is actually an 11:00 position. Imagine your belly button is noon.Then you want to go with a 9-9:30 position. Looks like you've got a good belt, which is very important. Maybe try a size larger pants. IWB does take some time to be comfortable, but it's by far the best way to carry concealed! Give it some time.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
I never carry anything in the small of my back over my spinal cord. If you
were to slip back-wards, Ice,running, whatever, your gun, flashlight, extra
mag could act like a fulcrum and break your back. If you want to carry
your gun behind you, your back hip is better.

BTW, nice rig....

Good Luck

Chris

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3:30 is the preferred position with everyone I know. It takes a little getting used to. Looks like you've got a left handed setup. That makes a difference! What you describe as a 1:00 is actually an 11:00 position. Imagine your belly button is noon.Then you want to go with a 9-9:30 position. Looks like you've got a good belt, which is very important. Maybe try a size larger pants. IWB does take some time to be comfortable, but it's by far the best way to carry concealed! Give it some time.
Sorry...I used a mirror to take the picture. I'm right handed. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well Iam L/handed and its 8 to 8:30 for me. Its very comfortable with right holster/belt and proper size pants
Sorry...I'm not a lefty. I used a mirror to get a good picture of the holster.

But your 8 to 8:30 should be 4 to 4:30 for a righty. Right?

·
Registered
661 Posts
I usually carry about 3:00 or 3:30. Makes sitting much easier.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
My MTAC, Crossbreed, SideArmor, FIST or CTAC IWB holsters all go from 3:00 posiion to 4:00 position. This keeps them easily under control of your elbow,and hides them nicely when you have to bend at the waist.

You might try some Mex carry (just stuck in the waistband) with an empty pistol, and wear it at home in the 3:00 to 4:00 position. If it is too snug with a naked gun, this tells you that you need bigger pants to IWB. My MTAC requires another 3/4" belt notch looser than for a naked pistol. The pics you posted look like you are OK, but....

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
Guess you already know, but all my 1911's are usually at 3:30 in either a Sparks VMII or a Brommelands MaxConV. OWB is always in a Tucker HF1.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My Dan Wesson bobtail in my MTAC is at the 3:30-4:00 position. I had it at the 4:30 at first, but it was just too far back. Took some getting used to, but now the 4:30 seems odd and the 3:30 seems normal.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I get best concealment and most comfort at 3:30. It stays slightly off the hipbone and begins to wrap the butt around the back.

Works for me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
4 o'clock is standard. If you keep an eye out, there are shirts with longer tails and slits at 3 & 9. 4 o'clock is concealable and assessable.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
I'm not sure what time it is:biglaugh:

But I carry right behind the hipbone.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts