1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get me a range bag for my kimber because I hate the box it cam in. Most of what I find are ether cheap and don't have all the compartments that I would like or they have all the pouches and cost an arm and a leg.

Do most of you use plain duffle bags?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have several.
A couple of Waller range bags. They are very nice but cost a fortune.
Some other ones from Eagle Industries. Also nice and expensive.
My favorite is a medium size tool bag that came in a set of two from Wal-Mart. The price was 20.00 for both (large and medium)! They are brown and green trim with lots of good size pockets. Sears also sells the same thing for about the same price.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I have seen some high $$ bags and some cheap ones and some of the cheaper options are better than the high $$ bags. I use a Rubbermaid tool bag with the heavy rubber bottom and stiff lower sides. Works great and cost me $15.

In reality, for about 80% of what I do, a gun rug bag from Wilson Combat (came with a gun) would work just fine.

The most versatile bag I have that conforms to all my pistol needs is a Rubbermade tub that carries ammo, targets, many guns, ballistic vest, concealment vest, extra holsters, hearing protection for 3 people, etc. It is not sexy, but it holds more, protects better, and works better than many "professional" range bags. I am not knocking a good professional bag, but for the $150 or more some cost, they should come with a lot of ammo. And, many of the "range" bags really seem to be reworked and remarketed photo bags that cost about 1/2 to 3/4 as much as range bags, but have the same features. In other words, you might find what you need, if you really want a bag that looks professional, in a photo bag for less money. Even better are some of the old, hard-sided photoboxes/bags with handles. I don't mean the aluminum boxes that ding when you drop them, but some hard metal or thick plastic boxes. They are great and often lock quite well. You can find these in want-ads, garage sales, or an old photo supply store with used goods. You might be out $25-50 for one instead of $150 for a soft-sided "range" bag.

·
Registered
138 Posts
$25 shipped for a GunMate rangebag from dnrsports.com good bag.. nothing fancy, but does the job when the 2 Kimbers and the Glock go out to play..

·
Registered
211 Posts
Awhile back, I was pointed to BlackHawk Industries (www.blackhawkindustries.com) where I popped for one of their "Comp-Shoot Range Bag" on sale.

It is a well thought out and extremely durable range bag. Though it only has one exterior zippered pocket (for a med-sized pistol), the interior is perfectly sized to accept two of those inexpensive black plastic pistol cases, 800 rounds of ammo, paper targets, duct tape and two muffs. You can drop three pistols inside the bag if you use something thinner, like gun rugs. The bag also features a modular velcro organizing system inside that'll allow all sorts of re-configuring.

However, I wish the exterior pocket was lined with something soft instead of pistol finish unfriendly cordura. I also wish it had two outer pockets - one on either side of the bag. Lastly, I wish the bag could be locked shut. THESE ARE MINOR, MINOR, MINOR ISSUES.

To be entirely honest, I must admit that I was sufficiently under-whelmed when I took my new range bag out of the box (buyer's remorse?!), but I changed my mind in less than 2-3 minutes because everything I wanted to put in it fit perfectly! It's a really neat range bag and I think they hit it right on.

Another option is a heavy-duty tool bag from Home Depot/Lowes/etc.

·
Super Moderator
7,924 Posts
I am using, along with the other 90% of IPSC shooters, a Green Mountain bag. I have the big bag that holds everything I need it to.

The new Haffner bag is a good product also.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have a couple of those large plastic milk boxes, and a number of bags, Dillon, 3 Wallers, and several others. Usually have each one set up for a particular gun/calibre. GLV

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<><> Bagmaster works for me. Two padded side pouches, for pistols, adjustable three inner compartments, holds ammo, cleaning supplies, ear and eye protection, and magazines.
------------
Raspy

·
Registered
43 Posts
Check out:
www.action-direct.com

Their range bag is only $70, but operates and looks like a $120 bag. Has just enough room for all the essentials, plus a nice pull-out gear bag inside. More pockets and features than you can shake a stick at. Relatively small company, though, so not much publicity.

Here is the direct link to the particular bag:
http://www.action-direct.com/70b.htm

It's the Hunting/Range bag, not their other, cheaper shooting bag.
------------------
GO ARMY!!!
BEAT NAVY!!!

[This message has been edited by USMA Pistol (edited 09-24-2001).]

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I use a JanSport backpack that I've had since college. I keep the pistol in a rug, so it doesn't hurt anything if it slides a bit.

I do tend to keep my accessories to a minimum at the range though: 9 or 10 mags, wrist brace, ear plugs & glasses, small cleaning kit and a Sharpie in the front section... gun(s), ammo, etc. in the main compartment.

I've found it's easier to carry that kind of weight when it's slung over my shoulder. It's also leaves both hands free for other things.

Mac

1 - 15 of 15 Posts