1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here is a question that you guys should have a field day with. I need a limited IPSC gun, preferably .40 cal so I can still make major, accepts Hi-Cap mags, and is in the price range of $1200 - $1500. I don't need anything really fancy, because Im still pretty new, but I understand that I will never be able to keep up with the guys shooting double stacks in a lesser caliber than .45 ACP. Let me know what yall think.

·
Registered
25 Posts
[ I need a limited IPSC gun, preferably .40 cal so I can still make major, accepts Hi-Cap mags, and is in the price range of $1200 - $1500.

You might want to check out Dave Dawson at Dawson Precision. He sells a reworked Para with an attractive list of both cosmetic and preformace modifications at a reasonable price.
dotdot

·
Super Moderator
739 Posts
Shoot what you have until you are sure you want to get into it heavy duty and then spend the extra to get what you really want. Otherwise you'll just be stuck with something that is not quite what you want and you'll end up regretting it in the long run.

------------------
Bob Londrigan
Brazos Custom Gunworks
254-622-2245
http://www.brazoscustom.com

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Good advice from all. Hey kBear38S, how come you didn't tell us about your Edge before I blew $2250 on a fat free six inch?

Ag2001:

I got caught up in the equipment race myself so I can relate. Fact is, I got more enjoyment out of beating a guy who was shooting a hi-cap when I shot my 1911 .45 single stack than I get beating up on the single stacks with my hi-cap. If I had to do it over, I would shoot my way into at least A class with a single stack in Limited 10 before taking the plunge. Still, I like racing with the big boys too...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Ankeny:
Good advice from all. Hey kBear38S, how come you didn't tell us about your Edge before I blew $2250 on a fat free six inch?

Ag2001:

I got caught up in the equipment race myself so I can relate. Fact is, I got more enjoyment out of beating a guy who was shooting a hi-cap when I shot my 1911 .45 single stack than I get beating up on the single stacks with my hi-cap. If I had to do it over, I would shoot my way into at least A class with a single stack in Limited 10 before taking the plunge. Still, I like racing with the big boys too...
I agree with you. I think I should stick it out with my Kimber single stack and just go for it. But, I want to be competitive, and I don't think its so much of an equipment thing. By the way, the club I shoot at has no limited 10 division, so that is why I want to move up to the "hi-cap" guns. But, let me reassure you, a ton of my friends agree with you. Thanks for the reply.

·
Super Moderator
7,880 Posts
If your club is affiliated with USPSA and is having a sanctioned match, they MUST recognize you in L-10, or whatever class you declare.

If they refuse to honor you in L-10, contact your SC or Area Director. Honoring the new divisions became mandatory 1 Jan 2001.

I hate to see lazy stats people do this to shooters. It’s not that hard. Jeez.

Tom Freeman
Eastern Colorado SC
http://www.limitedgun.com/PPPS

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Originally posted by Ankeny:
Sorry 'bout that. The deal just came up. Hey, if you buy the Edge, you'll have one of each!

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I do not like to tell people how to spend their money but here is something to think about. If you want a high cap gun buy a P-16 Limited have a good trigger job done on it and compete in the limited class. If at a later date you want to shoot in the open class the P-16 can be made into a racegun and this can be done at a very reasonable price. If you want to view a P-16 racegun in action go to my web site and view the video pay close attention to the gun and see how flat it stays in my hand.
Regards,Bob Hunter. www.huntercustoms.com

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Bob,

My experience with my P16 and the half dozen or so of my friends who bought them over the last few years is that they simply don't hold up as a competition gun. Barrel bushings, slide stops, firing pins, firing pin stops fail quickly. It's almost a guarantee that the front and rear sights will fall off, and the hammers and sears are extremely soft metal. Para barrels have the feed ramp cut far into the chamber like Glocks to the point where it's not even close to being a fully supported barrel. Worse, Para's customer service is miserable. Newbies who don't know to just take the gun to a competent gunsmith and send it back to the factory won't get their problems solved. I've seen it happen over and over again.

If you want to replace half the gun (which I ended up doing)you will end up with a suitable gun for IPSC but the persistant failures are frustrating, especially to a new shooter. I simply won't recommend a Para to somebody for IPSC unless they are prepared to spend the money to make the gun reliable. As a gunsmith, many of the problems are trival to you but somebody who doesn't know that a good 'smith is essential to Para ownership will not likely have a good experience with a Para.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Hi kbear38S
I nor any of my many customers that is shooting Para guns has expeirenced the problems with parts breakage that you described. I'm not saying this did not happen because I know from experience this can happen to any mass produced gun no matter what factory name is on it. As for the Para barrel I do consider them a full ramped barrel,and the pin loads I'm shooting in them are making a power factor of 210. I do not know what pressure this load is producing but it would have to be high and the Para barrels are holding up very well and I've had no case ruptures or bulges of any kind. As for the trigger components I made reference to do a trigger job on the Para in my earlier post and I appologize I did not clarify myself. Any factory gun that I do a trigger job on I replace all the major trigger components,this is the only way I can depend on the trigger job lasting. I have at times been able to use the original hammer and sear pins if they fit correctly.
I still believe the Para with a good trigger job is a good gun to start with.
Regards,Bob Hunter. www.huntercustoms.com

[This message has been edited by Hunter Customs (edited 03-04-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Hunter Customs (edited 03-04-2001).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts