1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted in the general forum because my question concerns a Colt, Kimber and SA.

I want to get a Kimber Gold Match SE II .45 cal since I just picked up one in 38 super and absolutely love it. It has all the mid/high end options/parts that I want in a gun as well as a few things that I REALLY like which are target sights, checkered frontstrap, ribbed flattop, and ambi safety. I don't like front serrations but the ribbed flattop on this gun more than makes up for that.

I need to sell one or both of my other 1911 .45s. Both are like new with original paperwork, cases (and outer box for Colt), etc.

Colt: Colt MK IV Series 80 Bright SS government, enhanced. No frontstrap checkering, no target sights, flattop, no front serration, no ambi. Finish and performance is flawless. Took me "forever" to find this gun.

Springfield: SS Supertuned government. Checkered frontstrap, Novak type sights (non target), no flattop, no front serrations, no ambi. Finish and performance is flawless. Wasnt' looking for this gun but bought it because I was trading in another gun and couldn't find anything else that I wanted to purchase. It is a fine gun and very hard to find.

In my "heart" I want to keep my Colt since it is the last one I now have (after yesterday)and I really love Colts. In my "mind", I think I should keep the Supertuned since it "may" be better quality coming from the Custom Shop sometime around 1997-1998. Neither gun has a warranty since these came from "collectors safes"!!!

I really need the money to buy the Kimber since it is around $1300, maybe a little less.

Question: any reasons that I should keep one over the other? They are hard to find but if I'm just not going to shoot them much and I suppose I should sell them both, but IF I was only going to sell one, which one should it be?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Keep the Colt. You can find another Springfield like the one you have, but Colt doesn't make the flattop slide Enhanced models anymore...I know, it took me FOREVER to find one too.

------------------
A man with a watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches isn't so sure

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
you can always find another SA. I would keep the colt. I sold a colt one time. I'm still kickin my a$$ for that one.

·
Administrator
72,152 Posts
Question- how much cash do you already have, vs. what you'd need to save up? Can't you put one on layaway? Don't sell a gun if at all possible. You'll miss it later. Sold guns can never be recovered. If you have to, go without some other daily luxury expense for a few weeks.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 10-28-2001).]

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I talked this over with a friend after we met at the range today. I decided I just CAN'T get rid of this particular Colt.

Thanks for all the input. The "keep the Colt" responses were what I was hoping to hear the most.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
If you just bought a Kimber in 38 super, and you have two fine .45's, why are you in such a hurry? The Supertuned will be just as hard, if not harder, to replace than the high polish Colt. These Supertuned models were fine handguns. Keep both and start saving your pennies.

·
Registered
314 Posts
you really only need one kindey

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK OK OK, bad bad me... thinking of selling any of my 1911s. I've decided to sell/trade a couple of "non 1911" guns that are currently in production. They just sit in my safe nowadays. Looks like about a 4 week wait for the .45 GM SE II anyway as no one has one in my area (alghough I did find another 38 super).

With all the storm damage I've had (and the #@)(*[email protected])#*$ insurance company NOT paying for my fence and roof, except after I've shelled out $4000 deductible ... a new little policy of theirs concerning wind/hail that I failed to notice) I am already in the penny pinching mode.

Some would say to sell all my guns (except one)to pay some of my bills. And my mother continually says "why do you need more than one"??? Ha ha ha ... maybe I should use the "you only need one kidney" line on her!!!

Once I get "obsessed" with a particular gun I become a demented person!!!!

Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
332 Posts
god bless you and your guns for your wise decision. the colt may have never been recovered as stated above, and then you would hate yourself. sell a glock or a POS lorcin....do not sell your colts....ever! good luck to you with your current finacial situation. take care.

------------------
Nothing like the smell of Breakfree to make my day complete.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts