1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mini, Offficers, Compact, Commander, or Government. . .Which do you carry and why? I'm asking because as part of my quest to find the best size 1911 for carry. I've been asking around for a few months and I've been learning a lot. Also, what do you carry it in? Any special clothing required? etc, etc.

Thanks,
Nathan

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I carry Para P13-45 LTD. S/S. This is a commander length piece. I like the weight and durability of steel (vs. alloy). It's more reassuring (to me, anyway). Second choice is my Colt Combat Commander.

Carried in Wild Bill speed scabbard when undercover, carried in department issued safariland retention holster when there's a need for the weapon to be showing.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Government size. It isn't that much bigger than the Commander or Officer, really and I find the extra weight helps with accuracy and controllability.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Government. I was going to carry a comander size, but I figure that if I can conceal a comander, I can conceal a gov't just as easily. The gov't shoots better, too.

Billy Ray

·
Registered
23 Posts
Officer's Model primarily and sometimes my Delta Elite. Rikwriter's right. The Gov. sized pistols are easy to conceal under most circumstances due to its slim profile. Soon, I'll be carrying in a Milt Sparks Summer Special.

------------------
"The only reason a warrior is alive is to fight, and the only reason a warrior fights is to win. Otherwise, why be a warrior? Its easier to count beads."-Miyamoto Musashi

·
Registered
177 Posts
Full size gov't. It's amazing how the weight disapears in an Alessi CQC/s.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
Government Model in a Versa Max 2. Very comfortable and comforting. I used to carry a Para P-12. Due to the thickness of the butt, it was harder to conceal than a full size 1911.

------------------
"What most of these people need is a good slap upside the head. What I don't need is any more lawsuits." John "The Tooz" Matusak

·
Registered
38 Posts
Myself, ' 50's vintage Combat Comm,
Wife, late '50's vintage L.W. Comm,

Set up the same; Kings Ambi safty, EB highride bt,checkerd M.S.H, Wilson 1pc guide
rods,lowered & flair port,long link fitted,
Clark bbl bushing,Pachmyer grips, trigger/action rework,EB hammer & disconnect,,McComick sear,Clark 4 leaf spring
throated & ramped, Clark bbl's.
She has King / Tappen sites on her's, as she
"took" my Comm for a weekend carry on a coast trip:) That was 10yrs ago now.

I built me up another, same as above except night sites.

Nice only having to take one type of ammo and mags :)

Sincerely, George L. Gouger
Life Member NRA Since 1969
www.doubleggunsmithing.com

------------------
Life Member NRA Since 1969
www.doubleggunsmithing.com

·
Registered
322 Posts
Kimber Ultra CDP. I find that even barrel length makes a big difference in how comfortably I can carry. To be honest, I am surprised and impressed with myself for carrying something as large as the Ultra!

Forunately, I find it very accurate and controllable. I've shot it a few times in my local practical pistol matches, and I've gotten several comments from bystanders who were surprised by how easily I appeared to control such a small, light weapon. And I'm not even that great a shot! (although of course I am improving...)

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Kimber Classic Stainless.

------------------
John

"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away".
Robert K. Dornen, U.S. Congressman. 1995

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I have had full-size, commander size, and officer size. The officer is easiest to conceal and I still carry it when I need to be more discreet. For example, it prints less under my suits. The full-size is my primary carry. The commander size is a compromise between the full and officer.

Officer size holds 7+1, has 3"-3.5" barrel, and a small grip. Commander and full have 8+1 capabilities and have the same size of grip. The difference between these is the 5" versus 4-4.25" barrel.

I find I can get the officer's out of the holster and rotated horizontal quicker than with the other two. It is the easiest to get off target (short sight radius), but is also much lighter with goodly amount of recoil. The shorter barrel makes for lower bullet velocities. The quick time to get on target due to the shorter barrel and light weight, I think, makes up for the lower velocities, recoil, and ease of getting off target. This gun would be most easy to draw and fire from the hip in a personal space type shooting situation.

Unlike the officer's model that is the sort of Miata version, the full-size is the caddilac version. It is bigger, heavier, slower out of the holster, but the recoil is felt less and the longer sight radius makes staying on target much easier. This gun has to be drawn nearly two full additional inches before it can clear leather and be rotated horizontal. The full-size grip, however, makes it relatively easy to control along with all the weight. Bullet velocity is optimal at this size.

The commander is a little quicker out of the holster than the full-size, but slower than the officer's size. It has the capacity of the full-size and has the big grip. Bullet velocities are a little slower than with the full size, but depending on the make of bullet, the difference can be trivial. In steel, this gun will absorb a lot of the recoil, have a good sight radius and make it easy to stay on target (relative to the officer's). In the light weight version, recoil will be felt more, but the gun will be easier to wisk out of the holster since it will be lighter. I personally think a commander-size in steel is an excellent gun. Preference of steel over aluminum (LW) frames means you can practice a lot more and not have to worry about metal fatigue as with the aluminum frames. Aluminum is great, but aluminum guns really are made more for carry and less for hardnose shooting. If you like to shoot a lot, get steel.

There is the concealed carry officer model that might be a good choice as well. Wilson makes a $2800 version. I have not shot one of these, but it seems to have aspects I like of both the officer's size and the commander size. You get the commander length barrel which means a longer sight radius than with the officer's size. That is a plus. You get the smaller grip size which means the gun is easier to conceal. Believe it or not, but that 5/16" will make a difference when it comes to printing. The detractions are that you get one less round cabability in the magazine unless you go with a magazine that fits a full size gun. That mag will stick out and you loose the benefit of the shorter grip for concealment.

Given that 'most' gunfights involve only a few rounds, chances are that one extra bullet isn't going to matter - chances are. It is with this reasoning that a lot of people don't carry a spare loaded mag. That is a decision you will have to evaluate for your personal needs.

00Spy

·
In Memoriam
683 Posts
Currently an old Colt Combat Commander

This summer I plan to relegate the old Colt to "spare" status, and a full Government size Springfield 1911-A1 will become my primary carry pistol.

I could carry my wife's little Officer's Model if I wanted to, but I just prefer the full size guns. Like Clint Smith said, a gun is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable.

------------------
Roger Shambaugh
Ottawa, Kansas

·
Registered
271 Posts
Colt Light Weight Commander in Askins
Avenger type holster in winter time when wearing jacket. Switch to IWB holster in summer with shirt tail out to cover.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I carry a full size Kimber Custom Classic in a Galco Summer Comfort IWB holster.
Like Clint Smith said, "guns should be comforting not comfortable." (excactly what KSLawmen said in his response) He also said if they made a bigger gun in a 1911 model, he would carry it. I love the full size .45 because it is a piece of mind. Once you find the correct holster for yourself the size and weight doesn't matter.

[This message has been edited by kimbr45 (edited 03-13-2001).]

[This message has been edited by kimbr45 (edited 03-13-2001).]

1 - 20 of 148 Posts