1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just realized that my M1A comes with a screw hole on the left side of the receiver to mount a screw-on scope mount. Initially I planned to have the rifle just with iron sights, but was thinking more and more about having a mock-up M21. What sort of mount and scope would you suggest for me?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
not an answer to your question

Unless you plan on shooting in low light, or at cockroaches milling about on the 100 yard target berm, you just don't need a scope.

The sights on the M1 and M14 are some of the finest iron sights around and you will be in no way hampered by them. Learn to use them, and practice, practice, practice shouldering and dry-firing at tiny targets.

Case in point: Over the summer I was at a 'tactical rifle match' with about 65 competitiors. Most of them shot AR's with optics. One fellow at the match was shooting a full size M1A, and ended up with 5th place, without a single errant shot the whole match. 1st through 4th place was taken by four year-round IPSC shooters with rifles mostly suited for gaming. One of the only other shooters that didn't make a bad shot (no FTN, HoNT, etc) the whole match was also shooting an M1A.

Also, consider the highpower shooter, who, with same rifle, can drop from standing to sitting and put 10 shots in the X-ring (9-ring for me, thank you very much) in 60 seconds at 200 yards with a mag change.

I like gadgets, but only if they make it 'better'.

That said, I have hunted with my M1 a bit, and have found that the sights all but dissapear about an hour before it is too dark to see. In this case, a scope would be nice to have.

JMHO,
Whelen

·
Registered
354 Posts
Sadlak Industries makes some of the best M1A/M14 mounts on the market today. They made the mounts for Brookfield Precision.

If you're just gonna "play" with it, the aluminum will probably do you fine. Mike Sadlak recommends that folks that are serious about their accuracy stay with the steel or titanium mount.

As a plus, Sadlak will send you a measuring kit. You take measurements of your receiver and Sadlak will machine the mount to precisely fit your receiver, for a small fee. Definitely worth it as SAI receivers are notorious for their lack of consistent dimensions.

http://www.sadlak.com/si_home.html

·
Registered
354 Posts
What is your price range for optics?

I'm a big fan of the IOR 2-12x32 with 35mm tube for gas guns. They retail around $1250 or so.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I had one of the early Leatherwood mounts for the M1A and found that it was difficult, at best, to deal with. It did not have the Weaver type base and its scope rings were already "set". The ring screws mounted from the bottom an I had to modify an allen wrench to tighten and untighten the screws. Although it had two points on contact, the screw hole on the receiver and one for the clip slot guide, I only used the one on the receiver.

The purpose of this mount, back then, was to use my M1A to deer hunt with. While the NM rear and front sights are fine for the range, they do not lend themselves very well for deer hunting. I shot my M1A in HP competion for several years and got my "master" classification.

Over the years I was able to acquire a (several) designated deer rifle(s) and had long since sold the Leatherwood Mount. However, I got the bug to mount a scope on the M1A again and this time acquired the Springfield Armory third generation mount with the Weaver type base. This mount came with a replacement clip slot guide for the second point of contact and I used it on my rifle.

I added a 12x Leupold scope, with target knobs, on Leupold QRW mounts and it shoots sub-m.o.a. at 200 and 300 yards. More that adequate for deer or anything else.

I realize that many folks do not like the S.A. mount and that there are some very fine choices out there. You are going to have to decide what you want the set up for and how much money you want to spend. I doubt, whatever you decide, that you will be disappointed. This of course is conditioned on how accurate your M1A is now. Mine will still shoot m.o.a. or better across the course. However, I graduated to bolt guns and perfer the sub m.o.a. accuracy that they provide, if I do my part.

Have fun!

·
Banned
976 Posts
Sadlak Industries makes some of the best M1A/M14 mounts on the market today. They made the mounts for Brookfield Precision.

If you're just gonna "play" with it, the aluminum will probably do you fine. Mike Sadlak recommends that folks that are serious about their accuracy stay with the steel or titanium mount.

As a plus, Sadlak will send you a measuring kit. You take measurements of your receiver and Sadlak will machine the mount to precisely fit your receiver, for a small fee. Definitely worth it as SAI receivers are notorious for their lack of consistent dimensions.

http://www.sadlak.com/si_home.html

Sadlak makes the best scope mount available. Mike Sadlak will talk to you personally.

The instructions that I have are the clearest and most detailed I've ever seen.

You don't need a scope, but it will maximize your rifle's potential by allowing you to shoot farther out more accurately.

Also, depending upon the optic, you can be faster as well. For instance, you can mount a formal scope on it with the crosshair.

This will let you shoot at distance, but not allow you to shoot near target quickly. Unless, you have a scope mount with a channel in it for iron sights as back up. Then still, you will really have to cant your head down to see down the channel to even use the irons.

Another scope option is the Trijicons. They usually have low magnification of 1-4X, but may be higher. Lets you shoot out more accurately than irons and you can also use it at 1X for closer shots quickly.

Finally, you can mount a Eotech holographic sight, good for CQB stuff and out to about a 100 yards for quick reative shots with both eyes open.

To the Eotech, you can also add the flip up 3X magnifier and use it out further.

Either way with whatever optic you choose. I think you should get one to really see what the rifle is capable of.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts