1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Colt Gold Cup Series 70 that has been in storgae for some years while I was outside the Country. I replaced the original factory spring some years ago, but don't recall what pound # spring is in it now. I want to shoot a mix of both normal and +P ammo, but mostly hardball with only the occassional +P load. It may also be a carry weapon for CCW use, as well. Opinions on spring size please?

·
Registered
125 Posts
if your'e gonna use normal-high power ammo, i'd say go with a heavier spring. I've been pleased with a wolff 17.5# variable, but i've also had good results with the 18.5# variable. (note that the heavier one will NOT work with low power target loads, the gun won't cycle right.)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a million...

I think maybe the present spring is #18.5, but I'm not sure. I don't think counting the coils would be very reliable in juding the size. I do know that I replaced the original Gold Cup Factory Spring some years ago along with the heavier Firing Pin spring. I believe that original GC Factory spring was # 14.5 and heavier loads beat the dickens out of the slide/frame. That, of course, was the reason for the original change.

For Range/Target I normally use Wally World WWB or Remington UMC in a 4" Kimber, but I want to starting shooting the Gold Cup again with the same ammo. I've ordered the XD Spring for the Kimber 4" in order to shoot some +p Ranger T and I wanted to do the same in the 5" Colt. I think the WWB and UMC stuff work work in both with the heavier springs, but there no harm asking others who have recent experience.

Although I will shoot +p in the Colt, I think standard Rangers will be very adequate in it. However, based upon what I'm seeing in the way of ballistics and testing, I think the 4" needs the +p. Of course, since it's an aluminum frame I won't shoot a lot. Just enough to ensure reliability and then just carry it a lot and shoot little....

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies....

Yes, no doubt the coil count would not be terribly reliable. Although it is a Wolff Spring now installed, I'm sure they've changed their methods since I bought and installed that spring some years ago. Thanks for your reply.......

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
The 16# is standard for the 1911.
If you have failures to go into battery with a 16# recoil spring or if you shoot hotter loads on a consistent basis, an 18# ISMI or 18.5# Wolf spring might be a good choice for you.

·
Registered
23,256 Posts
Good place for a rubber buffer, too. I never kicked the sights off a GC but have heard of many cases.

Strangely, the only gun I ever did kick the sight off of was my Ace .22. Oh, well, it needed a taller one for zero anyhow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.