1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know it's a 1911; now beyond that... it certainly has the old military look. I've only seen one side of the slide, the side that would say "COLT MK IV" or whatever; it says, "D. G. F. M. - (F. M. A. P.)" Below that it says "1 2 2 6". Along the front edge of the grip, in the tiny space of metal between the edge of the grip and the front strap, it says "VAM" and something else too small to distinguish. Anybody know what this thing is? (Some wise acre says, "It's a gun," and I'll moider da bum...

Mikey

[This message has been edited by Steelharp (edited 12-07-2001).]

·
Registered
61 Posts
It's an Argentine- Fabrica Militar de Armas Portatiles- built under license, which pretty much exhausts my knowledge.
(was gonna wait for a real expert to ring in but I couldn't stand the suspense)

·
Registered
674 Posts
I'm with db4. It's definitely a Sistema 1927. Colt took machinery blueprints etc. down there in 1927 or thereabouts so they could be made under contract for the Argentine Military. That's the extent of my knowledge as well.

Check the USGI section of the board. Moderators perhaps can help out by moving this thread there. The guys that post there should be able to give you chapter and verse on your 1911.

------------------
The United States Constitution (C)1791 - All rights reserved.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE... ok, receiver, slide and barrel all have the same ser. #, 69709, and it is "arsenal refinished"... guess that's why the rollmarks look kinda "filled in." Also, on the grip, it says "VAM dist. co., Wooster, OH." Now, the price... $475. Is it worth that?

Mikey

·
Registered
731 Posts
That's a bit high. Just a little more will get you a NIB Colt 1991 with Bomars here in Dallas.

FYI--I paid $300 for my Sistema back in January.

Billy Ray

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Originally posted by Steelharp:
UPDATE... ok, receiver, slide and barrel all have the same ser. #, 69709, and it is "arsenal refinished"... guess that's why the rollmarks look kinda "filled in." Also, on the grip, it says "VAM dist. co., Wooster, OH." Now, the price... $475. Is it worth that?

Mikey
They're available for $300 plus shipping to Class 01 or 03 FFL holders at CDNN Ivestments or JLD Enterprises, so there's a hefty markup in that $475. They usually have all those serial numbers, but since they've been refinished, who know when they were put on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts