1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've come back after a long hiatus to discover new DWs in the works that look awfully nice, but I have run into a problem. I have been saving my money for an STI Trojan that I happened upon in a shop that has both 40Super and 45ACP barrels NIB for a $G. The STI is blued and as tight and well-fitted as any 1911 that I have ever handled.

Now this DW comes onto the market (along with SIGs GSR) and throws a wrench into the works. Street price on the DWs will be around $700-750, and there is a group buy for the GSR going for $835. So, I am looking at an extra couple of hundred bucks for the STI with one barrel in a caliber that takes expensive brass. I like the thought of 10mm on steroids, though. You can't shake a stick at 40Super's 135gr pill at 1800fps... :rock:

Sooooo, for all of the 1911 experts and aficionados out there, what are your comments? I am still leaning towards the STI - even though I am not fond of the FCS and HUGE rollmark - because I know it is of high quality, uses tool-steel parts, and is fit really nicely.

Then again, there are other options now on the market that are tempting me... :(

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
SK......

Interesting puzzle. For me, I would be adding one more item to the mix for consideration.....the new scandium framed SW1911 Commander. Now that will be an interesting piece if the folks at S&W bring it out for 2004.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions....it never gets any easier does it?

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
SauerKraut,

Is a second job out of the question? :D

Based on Stephen A. Camp's various reports, I'd go with the Trojan for now. 'sides, all the others mentioned have those fugly external extractors! :D

If DW's compacts are up to snuff, they'll still be available later on.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hi SK,

Hmmm – have you been hanging around the STI Forum?? :)

OK – I own 3 STI’s, all bought NIB over the past 6 months. I will say – they are excellent firearms. Accurate, excellent feel, fit and finish. However....

( Edit by jd.... As pointed out below - I compared to wrong caliber.. :) OK - so this part is irrelevant... Heh... ) Begin reading again here:) .....

I’ll also note – of the 3 STI’s, two of them had very minor issues (one had the thumb safety engage during double taps and the other had a busing so tight – a nylon bushing wrench was ruined and I resorted to an extra-length metal wrench. My point here is not all manufacturers deliver 100% - 100% of the time – and in fact, I don’t know of one – much to the surprise of some customers). But both small issues were easily fixed within a few minutes. In short – I love my STIs.

That being said – and in all honesty. I also have DWs. For example, the DW I have in .40 has the same fit as the STIs, and was as accurate as the .40 STI out of the box. If DW had offered the new products at the time I bought the STIs – frankly, I would have gone with the new DW offering - especially the bobtail version.

So - while I carry the STI in .38 Super as my CCW, I would have probably opted for a DW Custom order dual-tone in 10mm or .40. But- that’s just me - and they weren't available when I went with the STIs….

Yea – I love my STIs – they are excellent. I believe I would have liked a custom DW as well – or even better, depending on what I wanted to use it for.

Good luck with your decision – and let us know where you land on your choice, OK?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
jd,

I thought the .40 Super was a necked down .45. Unless I'm confusing it with the .400 Corbon?

"What a drag it is, getting old...." :D

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
AFMan said:
j"What a drag it is, getting old...." :D
I second that emotion!! :cool:

When I read SKs post last night - I could'a sworn I read it as .40 S&W... Damn - time for those reading glasses - 'course at my age - I'll forget I need them... :(

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
Hey, SK..long time no see! :)

Were I you, I'd try to talk them down a bit on the Trojan, and give it a whirl. If you don't have one, they're nice guns for the money. Personally, between a stock Trojan and a Patriot, I'd buy a Patriot and spend the savings on either a few upgraded small parts or on ammo, but it sounds like you're really intrigued by that second barrel. Therefore, IMO, if you don't buy it, it'll always be one of those things that sticks in the back of your mind. Get it at a good price, and you can always sell it if it ends up not striking your fancy.

Besides, always time enough to save up for future purchases, right? Now, get back to work. Momma needs a new pair of shoes... ;) Take care sir!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, you are all right, of course. :D

In all honesty, the STI sure is a purty piece of equipment, but I want to make sure that I do the right thing considering that I am intending to sell one of my other pistols to finance it. Yes, I know, "Wait and save up for it," but a pistol like this -- with the 40Super barrel -- may not come up again for some time, and I don't have the job like dpcdivr does. ;)

You are right that I am intrigued by the 40Super cartridge, but brass is expensive at $137/1000 pieces new from Starline. Heck, 10mm is only ~$105/1000 and 45ACP is ~$91/1000, IIRC. From what I've read, though, the brass is thick and strong and should be able to handle several reloads.

Did I mention the barrels are the ramped/Nowlin type? It would just seem such a waste to let such a fine piece of equipment go to somebody else... :p

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hey SK..!

The barrels are ramped??? It's got'ta be a special production of some sort - as the STI Trojan in .45 I have is not (the .38 Super and .40 S&W are, though????).... Hmmmm - tough choice... Well - if you decide against getting it - PM me immediately....!!! :eek: :D

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I'm not so keen on .40 Super personally, I think it is approaching the point where you are really overloading the 1911's ability to cope with the kinetic energy involved. And it makes 10mm look like 9mm in terms of ammo price and availability. :eek:

That price is good, though, a new Trojan 5.0 is $920+ S/H from Dawson Precision, so to get a 2-caliber Trojan like new for $1,000 isn't bad at all. You could probably just buy the combo and sell the .40 Super barrel and come out ahead over the usual charge for a Trojan.

I don't think STI makes a compact/commander version of the Trojan. IIRC they go straight from the Trojan to the itty-bitty 9mm/.40 S&W subcompacts.

·
Registered
289 Posts
.40 Super

FWIW, I'd get the Dan Wesson.

I have a .40 Super, and I really like the cartridge, but...

Just FYI, the .40 Super is a .451 Detonics necked down. It has a longer neck than the .440 CB affording better case neck tension. It uses small rifle primers as well.

Carbide dies are an issue. I've loaded over 3500 rounds of .40 Super, most with the prototype Dillon Dies they let me borrow, but the dies available on the market are not the greatest. The cases MUST be fully resized as well. Also, the Trojan, IMHO will take a severe beating under the pressure of the .40 Super. I had mine built basically like a suoer strong 10mm with the stronger parts intended for the high energy loads. The Trojan does not do this. Also, even built like a tank, getting the guns to run can be a problem. With the full power loads, the balance between recoil, slide velocity feed ramp jams etc. is tough. 22-24 pound springs and shock buffs are a MUST. Mine eats shock buffs like candy. Too much spring and the slugs end up getting deep seated. Too little spring and the slide rebounds so fast that the case does not get picked up and jams. So the recoil spring, once settled on, has to be changed often. It is an expensive gun to keep running with the buffs and springs. It will also eat bushings. Mine has a Briley barrel and spherical bushing, which is super strong while still being accurate, the Trojan does not do this either. The wholesale price on the components of my .45/.40 Super combo 3 years ago were about $400 more than what you could get the whole thing for.

I got a 6" barrel intending to get it ported or comped if I could not make it run. After about 4000 rounds, I have come to the conclusion that porting is the only way to make the .40 Super run flawlessly while not beating the gun to death in a few thousand rounds. Next spring, I am getting the barrel Magna-Ported.

FWIW, I'd get a .45 for $700 and a 10mm for $800 and call it good (but I know you already have these, so get a new bobtail DW!). If you really want to shoot .40 Super in the Trojan, the upgrades to make it reliable and rugged will run you about $400 minumum. For a given weight slug, the .40 Super gets you about 100 to 175 fps more velocity than the 10mm. The custom 10mm loaders can cut that margin and the "advertised velocities" of the .40 Super were a tad optimistic.

If you want anymore info, read my article on the .40 Super on my webpage or drop me an e-mail.

Finally, STI no longer makes the Trojan in .40 Super...wonder why?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts