1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Unless you buy used, you won't get a really GOOD recurve for $500.
I’ll give you that, but you can get some good used recurves at reasonable prices. I got a Hoyt Dorado for ~$350 and saw one in a quick search for $325 (https://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5267011). At that price, you can get some decent gold tip arrows and a Bitzenberger fletching jig to add to it.

I shoot instinctive with finger tabs which keeps the cost accessories low also.

There are lesser bows available for less money, but recurves can sometimes be found at real bargain prices even when new.

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
I’ll give you that, but you can get some good used recurves at reasonable prices. I got a Hoyt Dorado for ~$350 and saw one in a quick search for $325 (https://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5267011). At that price, you can get some decent gold tip arrows and a Bitzenberger fletching jig to add to it.

I shoot instinctive with finger tabs which keeps the cost accessories low also.

There are lesser bows available for less money, but recurves can sometimes be found at real bargain prices even when new.
I have about 25 recurves. Half of them are Black Widows made for me. The last bow I bought was a used Assenheimer....a yr old when I bought it....about $500 if I recall.

Trad guys change bows more often than they change their drawers.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
Peculiar how other interests/ hobbies come out in such discussions...

The OP, living in suburbia, isn't going to "Stand Fast!" though TEOTWAWKI... it just isn't going to happen...

So I'm presuming that his prep desires are based around more short term, localized events- a hurricane, an earthquake, an ice storm... a few weeks without normal public services or the ability to re supply consumables.

I don't think he's particularly concerned with re-establishing civilized humanity or living solo off the land...

Its basic necessities and simple comforts that make such things tolerable.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The market is VERY amicable at the moment. I'd pay down CC debt first, but go for more silver otherwise.
pretty stocked on silver, but haven't bit the bullet on gold. I know it's low, but the buy in price per ounce sucks, and you pay a huge premium for sub-ounce products.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I have enough standard center fire guns. But in a diseaster one shot at game for food everyone will hear it.

I’m thinking co2 B.B. and co2 pellet guns. Klein quick kill on small game.

True years ago during the ‘29 depression my great uncle would wait till the roof peak on the chicken coop was full of small birds and shoot them all with one shot from a 22 short. My great aunt would clean them and in tomato sauce they went.

Think survival.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Pressure Canner & Supplies

You need not live in the country to pressure can great eats. This thanksgiving, I canned 7 quarts of hearty Turkey Soup from leftovers. Let me guess...you tossed that turkey carcass in the trash. Then 5 quarts of Ham and Bean soup from leftovers at the inlaws. Once pressure canned & vacuum sealed, no refridgeration required. Did I mention, great eats, unlike progresso, your own tasty recipes.

Buy from grocery store in bulk, and Can to make up for mising family and guests.

make your owns sauces, salsa, pesto, whatever and CAN IT!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Some reference material:

"Where There Is No Doctor" to start with. There are quite a few "marine medicine" books out there now, and "Field Guide to Wilderness Medicine", and battlefield medicine, and the like. There are also books on DIY dentistry, childbirth, etc.

You can do quite a bit with very little... but you have to know what to do.

You'll want some antibiotics; you can still buy some of those online as aquarium supplies. Some painkillers would be nice; remember, it's a Federal crime to keep them in other than their original prescription bottles, which could be an issue if you come under official notice. Imodium or Lomotil for the trots, ChiggerX for chigger bites, snakebite kit, etc.

You'll need rubbing alcohol for sterilization, and some gloves, and suturing supplies, scalpels, etc. Some sterile water for irrigation. You need LIGHT, something better than a flashlight. Whatever you have room and money for, basically.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I'd take my family on a fun trip
Memories will last longer than $500
And you only have so much time for memories before your family grows up
Then the opportunity is gone forever

·
Registered
158 Posts
I agree regarding the ham set up, being able to get Information or even pass It on(licensed only)hell even just a police scanner will let you know whats going on.
I still have my old Radio shack PRO-71 only because the city Is still running a really old system...If you go with a ham get licensed.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Only $500? Toilet paper.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
You can grow food in 5 gallon buckets. Lots of food.

For $500 seasoning makes wild game taste much better.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts