1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm looking for ideas on what changes to make on this colt. I won it at an NRA banquet last spring and it has just set in the safe ever since. I am apparently bored and thought a few upgrades would be a nice first 1911 project. My other 1911 came with all the ammenities so I have no experience doing the swaps but I have enough mechanical ability to do at least the basic work I'm sure. So anyone who wants to spend my money feel free to offer up ideas. Probably going to confine it to things I could do myself in my own shop. Thanks, all ideas gladly considered and I'll see where it leads. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'll mostly second JBnjTX's thought, but I guess if "something" must be done, then I would personally keep it to true performance improvements rather than blingy stuff.

Being the basic Government that it is (which is a fine thing to be), accurizing would be at the top of my list.

So start with a custom measured barrel bushing from EGW (if it needs it to begin with... measuring what you have now is the first place to start).

Then send off the slide for installation of some adjustable Bomars (or whatever brand of your choice).

After that, go through the trigger and make it better.

Then go shoot some groups. :)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I am not a purist and I will be the first to say to modify it to your liking but this is a nice pistol and not one I would do my first project on. Don't get me wrong. ..I fit my own small parts, safety, slide stop, mag catch, even sights and a new trigger. However. ..if it's your first time be prepared to buy more than one of each part for the learning curve. There's a reason custom costs what it does. Even though custom guns are expensive. ...when you start filing. ...you will understand that most gunsmith's do not charge enough. Once you figure in parts , time , blood and frustration you would be better served sending it to a smith if you want it checkered and refinished and novak style sights and such. Much more cost effective and preserves your sanity as well. Lol

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
... There's a reason custom costs what it does. Even though custom guns are expensive. ...when you start filing. ...you will understand that most gunsmith's do not charge enough. Once you figure in parts , time , blood and frustration you would be better served sending it to a smith if you want it checkered and refinished and novak style sights and such. Much more cost effective and preserves your sanity as well. Lol
^^^^ There is great wisdom in this post.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm prejudiced because I'm currently in the market for a stock Colt GM. So I would leave this one as is, especially since you already have a 1911 with all the amenities. I have a couple of customized 1911s including a SA single stack and a STI double stack .40 I used in IPSC back in the day.

·
Administrator
73,046 Posts
Read my sig line. :)

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
Sights, dehorn, trigger job, undercut front strap, beavertail, commander hammer grip tape on frontstrap, maybe a magwell.

·
Administrator
73,046 Posts
My other 1911 came with all the ammenities...
I think herein lies the problem. It seems these days there's a popular notion that a 1911 HAS to have all the popular so-called "upgrades" just to be a viable service weapon. Plenty of us shoot the so-called "mil spec" 1911s and have no trouble with them. Personally I prefer them over ones with the fancy spoon-shaped beavertails, ski-jump sights and cheese-grater checkering.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Rear sight, mainspring housing, hammer, grip safety and trigger can all be replaced without making any permanent modifications to the pistol.

It does look fine just as is though. Have you shot it yet. What do you think it needs?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rear sight, mainspring housing, hammer, grip safety and trigger can all be replaced without making any permanent modifications to the pistol.

It does look fine just as is though. Have you shot it yet. What do you think it needs?
Admittedly I have only run a handful of rounds through this gun. And the replies have me rethinking this idea.

As far as what I was thinking about it is rather limited. I'm not crazy about the sights but that may just be my perception. They aren't bad for visibility but don't seem nearly as durable as the Novacks I'm used to. Additionally an extended safety, beaver tail grip safety and hammer would likely be all that I would do to it. I'm not sure how difficult any of those changes would be to make. Although from reading your post apparently it wouldn't require drastic changes. So maybe it's not really a "project" in the true sense but an alteration so to speak.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Check out 10-8 performance rear sight. It will fit in the gi size dovetail.
The thumb safety and grip safety would require some fitting.
Look up some videos on YouTube to get an idea of the scope of the fitting involved. Then decide if it's up your alley or if you want to send it off to a pro.

I recently purchased a Colt Commander. I too have the urge to make some changes, but am going to wait until I put some more lead down range with it.
So far I don't like my factory rear sight.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Sights that you like and can use and a good trigger.

·
Registered
23,179 Posts
I would put at least a couple hundred rounds through it in several shooting sessions and then it may become obvious what you want to do with it. I would also save all the take offs in the box. On an older guns like this 1992 (according to a phone call to Colt) SS Commander I got used I buy a Plano or similar case, label the end and then put take offs in there. Not in this picture is a baggie with all the springs except the mag catch spring that I also replaced.

Also I am very careful about not altering the frame and slide which makes fitting parts harder. And some of the parts I put in this Commander was just because I had them in my spare parts box like the Cylinder and Slide trigger pull reduction kit which replaces all the Series 80 parts with ones that are better machined coated with Titanium Nitride which I didn't realize is bright Gold in color. I was thinking of trying them in a blued 80 Series Gold Cup but they would really stand out. Less noticeable in this SS pistol.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
The thumb safety is not bad to fit. Grip safety is another story. Most will tell you that if you are going to change the hammer, the sear and it will need to be fit together.

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
Most 1911s come with the amenities. I think that's due to customer demand.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts