1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I own last years 14 45 ltd stainless, and I love it...too much, thats the problem. I just cant bear to carry it and scratch it up. It only has 500-600 rounds through it, and the ftfs and jams are now pretty much behind me. I decided the best thing to do to solve my problem is pony up for a new ds black ops, and make it my carry anytime my xdsc isnt nessesary. My lgs has it for me to pick up after work. I am excited to get in my hands, but reading the forum the last little while has been disheartening.

Ive been shooting mostly fmjs through the ltd, winny white box and remington 230s. I have fed a couple of boxes of critical defense that did fairly well. I was wondering what rounds both fmj and hp that other 1445 owners are having success with? The reason I ask is because I want to eliminate ammo as the source of any unforseen problems with my new bo.

My ltd did have some ftfs and failures to go into battery, but nothing like my p226 elite platinum in 357 sig. I tried to feed it buffalo bore low flash hps, in two mags I averaged ftf 1of every 3 rounds. That being said, I know that some negative threads doesnt mean that all 1445s are flawed...I just want to make sure I do everything right while breaking in my new bo so I can have a reliable weapon that I can have edc confidence in.

Any suggestions or recommendations are appreciated.

peace,

Dobb.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Hey All,

I own last years 14 45 ltd stainless, and I love it...too much, thats the problem. I just cant bear to carry it and scratch it up. It only has 500-600 rounds through it, and the ftfs and jams are now pretty much behind me. I decided the best thing to do to solve my problem is pony up for a new ds black ops, and make it my carry anytime my xdsc isnt nessesary. My lgs has it for me to pick up after work. I am excited to get in my hands, but reading the forum the last little while has been disheartening.

Ive been shooting mostly fmjs through the ltd, winny white box and remington 230s. I have fed a couple of boxes of critical defense that did fairly well. I was wondering what rounds both fmj and hp that other 1445 owners are having success with? The reason I ask is because I want to eliminate ammo as the source of any unforseen problems with my new bo.

My ltd did have some ftfs and failures to go into battery, but nothing like my p226 elite platinum in 357 sig. I tried to feed it buffalo bore low flash hps, in two mags I averaged ftf 1of every 3 rounds. That being said, I know that some negative threads doesnt mean that all 1445s are flawed...I just want to make sure I do everything right while breaking in my new bo so I can have a reliable weapon that I can have edc confidence in.

Any suggestions or recommendations are appreciated.

peace,

Dobb.
I'm shocked about the Sig. I've never had a Sig that I couldn't feed anything. If you have trouble with other types of ammo, I would send it back with details, photos or anything. Very rare to have those problems. I would highly suspect the ammo in that case. I would try other brands. Could even have been a bad batch because Buffalo is generally good stuff.

For the Black Ops double-stack, you're just going to have to purchase it and experiment. There is no "magic bullet" (pun intended) that will guarantee feeding in those double-stacks.

Just don't shoot anything with the word "bear" in it. It is an insult (and damaging) to any gun of any brand. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. Nice pun! I guess I let some of the complaint posts get to me. My 226 came as a 40s&w, which ate everything I fed it, up until I installed the 357 sig barrel. Ill post some pics and a report after I get the BO to the range.

Nice to know TT is here and taking such a proactive role.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Avoid Federal 230gr FMJ (usually in the 100 round packs), and of course Blazer Brass.

I've had good luck with Winchester White Box, Remington UMC, PMC Bronze (all 230gr FMJ), PMC Bronze HP's, and Magtech HPs.

I had really bad luck with Golden Saber 185 grain +P - but I seem to be the exception on that one, I see most people having luck with the Rem Golden Sabers.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Avoid Federal 230gr FMJ (usually in the 100 round packs), and of course Blazer Brass.

I've had good luck with Winchester White Box, Remington UMC, PMC Bronze (all 230gr FMJ), PMC Bronze HP's, and Magtech HPs.

I had really bad luck with Golden Saber 185 grain +P - but I seem to be the exception on that one, I see most people having luck with the Rem Golden Sabers.
Wondering what is the problem with Federal 230gr FMJ (usually in the 100 round packs)

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have had very consistent and dependable results with Fed. 100 rnd. boxes in 230gr 45acp. I have shot over five boxes of it through both a p14 and a Tac-four ( LDA version of the p13) in the last several months. It has been my go to range ammo for a couple of years.

As for a defense ammo, I use Fed. HST 230. They seem to feed very good, no ftf, fte and are accurate.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I have not.

Look up my range reports after the 1st and 2nd trips to the shop. I go into details on the Blazer Brass. It is too soft (soft bullet with soft plated "jacket") and dug into the edge of the frame below the barrel ramp and with little neck tension on the bullet, the rounds suffer a lot of bullet set-back, making everying come to a complete stop.

The Federal 230gr Range and Target (I got in 50-round white boxes in a case of 1000 rounds) are also soft plated but the bullets are not quite as soft as the Blazer Brass. They still caused me problems on my Black Ops 14.45.

And while I haven't tested the gun again with my preferred defense rounds, the Federal HST +Ps, since Para cut the "pre-ramp" into the frame below the barrel ramp, my Black Ops 14.45 would not feed those well at all. The mouth on the HST is too big and was hanging up - again - on that stupid edge of the frame under the barrel ramp.

The Blazer Brass still won't feed with the "pre ramp" cut in the frame. The "pre ramp" is too steep and the casing still has too little neck tension. The Blazer Brass rounds typically make it higher up to the barrel ramp but they still suffer so much set-back when they hit the steep "pre ramp" that the slide loses momentum and fails to go to battery. Good that it fails to go to battery because the set-back on the Blazer Brass rounds is too much for me to feel safe.

Again, the problem comes down to the fact that for many of these guns, the magazine just isn't holding the top round high enough for the rounds to hit where they are supposed to on the barrel ramp.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The Federal 230gr Range and Target (I got in 50-round white boxes in a case of 1000 rounds) are also soft plated but the bullets are not quite as soft as the Blazer Brass. They still caused me problems on my Black Ops 14.45.
This - I have the same problem. Federal will not feed reliably in my Black Ops 14.45. It's unfortunate since this is the cheapest range ammo I can find locally. My Glock will eat it though so not all is lost.

Of course it may not be that way for everyone, but I thought I'd point it out it doesn't feed well for me.

·
Registered
660 Posts
My Expert has 7,000 rounds through it at this point.

The only thing I've changed now is a spring. It's gotten to the point where it's boring to shoot for all the right reasons. It just feeds everything. Doesn't matter the brand, wadcutter, FMJ, soft points, JHP, 165 grain up to 230. It's just sick.

·
Premium Member
9,150 Posts
Never feed them after midnight or get them wet...otherwise they turn into West Hurley marked AO 1911s.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

The only thing I've changed now is a spring. It's gotten to the point where it's boring to shoot for all the right reasons. It just feeds everything. Doesn't matter the brand, wadcutter, FMJ, soft points, JHP, 165 grain up to 230. It's just sick.
did you change the spring size?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This - I have the same problem. Federal will not feed reliably in my Black Ops 14.45. It's unfortunate since this is the cheapest range ammo I can find locally. My Glock will eat it though so not all is lost.

Of course it may not be that way for everyone, but I thought I'd point it out it doesn't feed well for me.
Thanks...I was gonna order 1000rds in bulk to burn up. I think Ill spend a few extra bucks and buy 5 or 8 different kinds so I'm not stuck with a ton if one particular type won't play well with the BO.

·
Registered
115 Posts

Now every gun can be different, but I've run 1000 rounds of Federal American Eagle FMJ 230 through my BO Recon and I never had a problem. I've run 500 white box and also no problem feeding ammo. I've run Buffalo Bore-Barnes XTAC 185 +p, BB 200gr JHP+p, Speer Gold Dot 230 JHP, BB 250gr flat nose and Hornady Critical Duty LE Flex Lock 220gr +p. I had an FTF on the 250 gr BB twice in 50. One of those was a flat out limp wrister. No excuses. I was rapid fire and didn't do my job. The other may also have been the same problem. It was along range day and those 250 gr will DEFINITELY get your attention! lol So, really, it's probably all about the combo of the exact gun and the skill and concentration of the exact shooter. Mine runs great. Others have had difficulties. The fun is in finding out for yourself. The factory is always there to take care of you if there is a problem.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Expert has the non-ramped barrel though right? From what I've researched, that makes a difference and is not so picky on ammo types. BlackOps has a ramped barrel, not sure you can compare the two.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Now every gun can be different, but I've run 1000 rounds of Federal American Eagle FMJ 230 through my BO Recon and I never had a problem. I've run 500 white box and also no problem feeding ammo. I've run Buffalo Bore-Barnes XTAC 185 +p, BB 200gr JHP+p, Speer Gold Dot 230 JHP, BB 250gr flat nose and Hornady Critical Duty LE Flex Lock 220gr +p. I had an FTF on the 250 gr BB twice in 50. One of those was a flat out limp wrister. No excuses. I was rapid fire and didn't do my job. The other may also have been the same problem. It was along range day and those 250 gr will DEFINITELY get your attention! lol So, really, it's probably all about the combo of the exact gun and the skill and concentration of the exact shooter. Mine runs great. Others have had difficulties. The fun is in finding out for yourself. The factory is always there to take care of you if there is a problem.
Yea I agree. You really just have to try different types. There's every chance that the Black Ops he buys will run anything and everything. Some of us just haven't been that lucky, and unfortunately - all sales are final :)

With that said Para has done everything possible to try and make mine better, and it is better than when I got it. Plus I'm sure I'll discover more and more ammo that runs good as time goes on.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well, I can tell you, with the reduced barrel and slide length on my Recon, I REALLY have to do my part. It's a serious handful with all of the +p stuff. I can shoot my other guns all day and not really give much thought to it, but the Recon demands attention. It really needs a hard grip. That probably helps me with any possible FTF's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm surprised to hear about ammunition difficulties. I have a GI Expert, and it's eaten everything I've put into a magazine without fail. This includes Winchester white box, Blazer Brass, and even Tula. All of my feed issues were early on and from low-quality magazines, not the rounds themselves.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I'm surprised to hear about ammunition difficulties. I have a GI Expert, and it's eaten everything I've put into a magazine without fail. This includes Winchester white box, Blazer Brass, and even Tula. All of my feed issues were early on and from low-quality magazines, not the rounds themselves.
You have a single stack?

Because it is the consistently the double-stacks that are perceived to have the higher percentage of problems.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts