1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this has been covered before i'm sure, but here is my scenario. I wake up due to a noise. I am 95% sure its nothing. My revolver is in a quick access safe by the bed with two speed loaders and a small flashlight inside. A maglight 3 cell is also handy. My house is small so if there is a real problem, I don't have time to "dress" for the occassion. I only have 2 hands. I can see the maglight in left hand, revolver in right hand, and a speed loader in my mouth. This would probably take care of things, but there has to be a better way! Should I look like a cop wanna be and buy a tac vest to keep by the bed? A belt rig seems like it would be to slow, uncomfortable, and noisy as you put it on. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I think you'll be fine the way you are. Keep a pair of sweat pants and thick-soled sandals or slippers by the bed to slip on in a hurry so you'll have a pocket for that speedloader, and the shoes so you can run outside without tearing up your feet on rocks/gravel/asphalt/broken glass/hornet's nests/radioactive ooze.
I have experience with several of the common tac vests, and most are 1: very rifle oriented and 2: not very quick to put on. A better investment would be some body armor; I remember a Mas Ayoob article where he pictographically demonstrated how one could quickly don a Second Chance SPA type carrier whilst still covering the door with a handgun.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Get a 12 gauge shotgun, install a shellholder on the offside buttstock. That should take care of your reloading problem.

Install - or have someone who can do it for you - switches for your house lights in the bedroom. If you have an intrusion, switch on the lights in the farthest room first, pause/observe, then the next and so on.

Keep the revolver handy in case you wake up with someone already IN the bedroom, or as a backup. Likewise the flashlights.

·
Registered
579 Posts
You might want to find a better place for the speedload. It's kind of hard to yell at an intruder to get the f**k out with your mouth full :)

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
I keep my pistol and 2 mags on the night stand along with my cell phone and Surfire. Hanging from the bedpost is a Car15 with TACMIII light and 2 30 round mags in a "jungle clip". I've been considering putting my Proears on the night stand also.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got the shotgun and rig, but its put up. I've got kids and a wife that pretty much wants everything under lock. Hence the quick access handgun safe. I didn't go for the slippers because they make noise flopping when I walk. Fortunately, my kids doors are right outside mine so they are easily defended. I like the idea of progressive lighting controlled from the bedroom. I'm going to look into that. I was thinking about a cheap hunting vest with a couple of speed loaders in the pockets. Maybe a second small flashlight, knife, etc. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
283 Posts
What TRB said. Invest in a surefire light. If they are out of your price range, go to Wal-mart and purchase the Brinkmann Legend Xeon flashlight. It's as bright as a Surefire and only cost $19.97 w/ 2 Lithium, thumb button on the end. They are alittle bigger then a Surefire but alot smaller and brighter then a 3-D Maglite.

·
Registered
147 Posts
You could duct-tape a neck chain to a speedloader. That would get that outta your way and keep it quick release and choke proof.

·
Registered
579 Posts
sanchezero said:
You could duct-tape a neck chain to a speedloader. That would get that outta your way and keep it quick release and choke proof.
Hey, that's a great idea. Maybe one of those chains used for dog tags strung through those rubber speedloaders.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Ed,

I forgot to add that another alternative to the lighting setup is a separate 12 volt system. Not only is it possible to do it fairly cheaply - a couple of sealed batteries kept charged up will still provide power when the grid goes down, etc.

·
Registered
352 Posts
If you get an electrician in to rewire your lighting circuits, it'll probably cost several hundred dollars. Here is an alternative that's fast & easy.

RadioShack makes a device that controls lights and appliances from a main control panel. You plug the control panel into an outlet in your bedroom. Plug any light into a control module and then plug the module into an outlet in any other room. You can have many modules on this system and contol them (on/off/dim)individually or together.

It costs about a $100 for the controller and several modules. If you ever move to another house you can take them with you. This set-up works great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts