1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I remember correctly, there was someone in the U.S building Hi Powers in very low volume. Does anyone remember the name of the company? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'm kind of surprised no bigger players have tried to toy with this gun. Everyone and their brother makes 1911s. A Hi Power wouldn't be much more effort. A MKIII style gun would be easy to build, since the frame is already investment cast. I'd take interest in a basic no frills $600 or less U.S made MKIII clone. I don't care if the internals are MIM, those can be swapped out. It would make an awesome base for custom builders, since the Israeli trade ins are drying up.

·
Premium Member
11,414 Posts
There was another manufacturer years ago - Baford Arms. They were in Tennessee I think. They made a stainless Hi Power that had a removable bushing ala 1911. Note that their removable bushing was not a first for the Hi Power. Some of the late preproduction prototypes had them, too.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There was another manufacturer years ago - Baford Arms. They were in Tennessee I think. They made a stainless Hi Power that had a removable bushing ala 1911. Note that their removable bushing was not a first for the Hi Power. Some of the late preproduction prototypes had them, too.
S&W double action auto pistols had them too. Removable bushings are kind of redundant anyway, with proper barrel fitment. Since the bushing remains in the slide constantly, the Hi power has two less pieces during a field strip. I'm fine with that.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Nighthawk makes some great looking Hi Powers but expect to pay something over $3K for them. They look great but our of my price range for a pistol I really don't need.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Thanks. I'm kind of surprised no bigger players have tried to toy with this gun. Everyone and their brother makes 1911s. A Hi Power wouldn't be much more effort. A MKIII style gun would be easy to build, since the frame is already investment cast. I'd take interest in a basic no frills $600 or less U.S made MKIII clone. I don't care if the internals are MIM, those can be swapped out. It would make an awesome base for custom builders, since the Israeli trade ins are drying up.
I agree; Ruger would be a natural to produce a domestic HP clone :)

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nighthawk makes some great looking Hi Powers but expect to pay something over $3K for them. They look great but our of my price range for a pistol I really don't need.
They were nice, but they were nothing more than modified FN MKIII pistols, not entirely U.S built clones, like the other names mentioned in this thread.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Chuck Warner, elite warrior systems. I think he only made less than 50:eek:r so. But they looked awesome.
I believe that is who FAMCO or I think they were called Florida Arms sold their stock of stainless Hi-Power frames and slides too. I really wanted one of those Florida Hi-Powers for quite awhile, but most of that stuff seems to have disappeared. Now I'm sure with the Tisas and the gun market glutted as it currently is, we probably won't see anyone State side attempt to compete with it. At least until things change.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I believe Chuck's Hi-Powers were completely fabricated in-house. That is, they were not ever anyone else's frames, slides, whatever. At least, that is what he led us to believe. Us being me and a few others who bought one. Chuck's design increased the thickness of the front strap and he made other modifications he felt necessary to enhance the reliability, durability, and customization potential of the gun.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe Chuck's Hi-Powers were completely fabricated in-house. That is, they were not ever anyone else's frames, slides, whatever. At least, that is what he led us to believe. Us being me and a few others who bought one. Chuck's design increased the thickness of the front strap and he made other modifications he felt necessary to enhance the reliability, durability, and customization potential of the gun.

That could be part of the reason he stopped. Making everything from billet is expensive. If he ever wants to persue mass production, he'll have to outsource some frame and slide forgings. He did make more progress than Vltor did with the empty promise, that was the Bren Ten project.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Elite Warrior Armament with Chuck Warner made a total of 30 pistols called the P-35.

I traded into one of the last ones made; serial number 22 which for some reasons unknown to me never was sold. As others have said it is a solid pistol; it prefers heavy fast ammo I.E. +P. I feed mine with Speer Gold Dot LE 124 gr. JHP ammo. Goes bang every time I tickle the trigger. It’s accurate; some day I’ll have to put some tacks on a target and see if they can be driven!

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Elite Warrior Armament with Chuck Warner made a total of 30 pistols called the P-35.

I traded into one of the last ones made; serial number 22 which for some reasons unknown to me never was sold. As others have said it is a solid pistol; it prefers heavy fast ammo I.E. +P. I feed mine with Speer Gold Dot LE 124 gr. JHP ammo. Goes bang every time I tickle the trigger. It’s accurate; some day I’ll have to put some tacks on a target and see if they can be driven!

WOW! Now that is a HP I would have loved to trade into.

I have looked at a lot of HP photos and that is the first one to check all the boxes of what I would want in a HP. There are some nice ones in the photo gallery but always missing one thing, either the wrong hammer, wrong rear sight, crappy front strap treatment, wrong finish, but this one is just pure perfection.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Charles Daly. They were the last of the FEGs before the Hungarian company's firearm division went under.
There's a fellow over on one of the AK boards who's in Hungary. He's been going through old FEG warehouses and has found a large stash of incomplete frames and slides. Also some complete pistols.

I have not checked on his progress but he is (was maybe he gave up) looking for an importer(s) to bring the stuff to the US market.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I too was able to get one of Chuck Warner's - four numbers lower than the one shown. I picked the gold bead front sight option for mine, and a great set of checkered Spegel grips I sent to Chuck for final fitting. It is quite interesting to compare to my two Novak-built BHPs, and my LW BHP built by Yost Bonitz.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I too was able to get one of Chuck Warner's - four numbers lower than the one shown. I picked the gold bead front sight option for mine, and a great set of checkered Spegel grips I sent to Chuck for final fitting. It is quite interesting to compare to my two Novak-built BHPs, and my LW BHP built by Yost Bonitz.
So how do they compare? I've got serial number 8, and a Yost/Heirloom Signature Edition, and 2 from Cylinder and Slide. No offense to Chuck, but I'd keep the Yost gun if I could only have one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts