1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Detonics Combat Master NIB in the '80s.
Been hooked on 1911 since.
How about you?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've only got 2.
My first was a Rock Island tactical. I've since added a DW Vigil.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
772 Posts
I bought this Springfield Blacken Combat 1911 back in the early 90's I think.

I think I got the name right. I still have it.

·
Registered
Trumark Wrist Rocket
430 Posts
Springfield Loaded Longslide in 2005. It hooked me on 1911's ever since.

·
Super Moderator
14,830 Posts
Bought a pristine Colt, from a co-worker needing cash, for $60 in 1965. Paid a gunsmith $35 to "accurize" it and used it in Bullseye competition for several years.

·
Super Moderator
14,598 Posts
My first was a government issue in the MP's in 1971, then bought my first one in 1973 after I got out - it was a nickel plated Series 70 Mark IV. I fell in love with them when I was 3 years old and saw the one in the top of my dad's closet when he was a US Marine.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Around 1988 bought two new Colt SS gold cups from my LGS. One with wood grips,one had rubber. They are long gone, but my current 1911's are still my favorite autos.

·
Registered
7,788 Posts
I bought a Colt M1911A1 and a Remington Rand in 1973.

Pretty sure I paid 75 and 50 bucks. :biglaugh:

·
Banned
3,164 Posts
I saw one at the indoor gun range when I was in college in the mid 1970s. The owner, an ex-Marine, had it in his waistband. I thought that 's what a handgun should look like. I then bought my first in 1981 at a gun-show in Victoria, Texas. I was a student Naval Aviator stationed in Beeville, TX. It was a nickel plated 5" Colt. I later sent it to Clarks for further customizing. I still love 1911s and have one in my holster as I type this post. It's a custom Springer Mil-spec done by ACW.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Back in the 1990s, I bought a new Springfield Armory Ultra Compact V-10. Polished stainless, good looking gun. Rather an odd configuration, full size frame with the ultra compact slide.

Jam o matic. Couldn't fire a magazine of any ammo without one or two failures to feed or failures to eject. Rather disappointing.

LOTS of sharp edges on that gun. I cut my self on the slide twice, deep enough to draw blood.

That being said, I've had other SA 1911s that worked perfectly.

·
Registered
91 Posts
A Union Switch & Signal given to me by my father, before either one of us knew about their value, a few decades later. Still have it today. Used to shoot bullfrogs with it around the pond. Wonderful gun, in great unaltered shape.

·
Administrator
72,996 Posts
I guess sometimes the definition of "first" can be a bit fuzzy. My dad bought a new Colt Government Model in 1966, and when I was 10yo it became the first 1911 I ever fired. When I was 20 I bought my own 1911, an Auto Ordnance (my dad filled out the 4473), but unfortunately it was a total piece of junk and I soon got rid of it and got a Springfield instead. Not long after that I bought a Colt Series 80 and sold the Springfield. I still have the Series 80 and have put close to 75,000 rounds through it by now. Aside from a Ruger 10/22 I received for Christmas when I was 16 I don't have a single firearm that's been fired nearly as much.

Since my dad's passing the 1966 Government has become mine, so technically it is my first 1911 even though it wasn't actually mine until recently.

The Series 80 was customized by me not long after I bought it, and I've kept it in the same configuration ever since... even down to the grips.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I'm a newbie it was 2010 and S&W SC 1911, 45 ACP

1 - 20 of 227 Posts