1911Forum banner

61 - 80 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
My first 1911......a 1914 Colt 1911 bring back from WWll. I still have it!! I paid $20 for it. I think I can come out on the deal if I decide to sell it. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
A few years ago I decided that I wanted a 1911 type handgun. We have a local gunsmith that builds 1911 pistols for many bullseye competitors in the area so I had him build one for me in 45 acp. It instantly became my favorite handgun and I liked it so well that I had another built in 9mm. I enjoy shooting 1911 type handguns much more than any other. They fit just right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
GI issue. MP school 1961.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My very first 1911, was a nickel plated Colt government series 70 45 cap, with wood double diamond grips. Got it in 1977. Had the three fingered collet bushing too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
First 1911

STI SPARTAN V 5 in full size 9 mm bought in about 2008 37544E86-D42F-4730-9455-F54A9B53CF87.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
OK. Confession time. I shot plastic for a number of years.

This was the first 1911 I bought. I was at an outdoor sports store and asked to hold the TRP and check it out. That was all it took. I ended up selling my Glocks and have never looked back. Because this is a public forum I will not say how many 1911s I now own but I will say more than one.

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Mine was the Magnum Research DE 1911G.

It was a hell of a gun for the $$, but I sold it because I decided I wanted something with FSC (and the initial models did not offer that option). However, it was dead-balls accurate, superb slide-to-frame fit and the trigger was phenominal for a Sub-$800 production 1911.

·
Registered
413 Posts
1990 Colt Mk IV

Colt sent this to me though my FFL to replace a problematic King Cobra (the third and last Mk V revolver I owned). I have had it ever since. Dave Severn refinished it for me a few years ago with his Hard Hat finish and trued up the hammer and beveled the razor-sharp edges on it, giving it a matching finish to the rest of the gun. He also installed a Colt O1918 repro mainspring housing for me and refinished it to match as well. This photo does not do his work justice. It is a far better looking gun than it was with its polished blue finish. I replaced the OEM neoprene wraparound grips that came with it a few years back with the Colt double-diamond logo grips shown. Trigger and sights are bone stock and I see no need to change them.

Every once in a while, when I am under the weather and running a high fever, I start to miss having a King Cobra, but I have never been sick enough to want to trade this 1911 off for one. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
A 5" Mk IV/Series '70 in polished nickle. It was 1978 and I can still remember what the cost was with, and without, tax. Been hooked on them ever since.

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
An AMT Hardballer. Not all that bad of a gun but not overly great. Must not ave been too bad because I became a hardcore 1911 fan.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I've got a good one for you guys. About 20 years ago I decided I wanted to own a WWII 1911A1. After searching online and at local shops I bought a really nice Remington Rand 1911A1 in all original condition with apparently original parts and original parkerizing. After some time passed and as my 1911 interests increased, I decided to research the serial number. Low and behold, it was manufactured on May 3, 1943 the day I was born!

I ended up selling it several years later when money got tight and still regret it to this day. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. Carry on.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
I've got a good one for you guys. About 20 years ago I decided I wanted to own a WWII 1911A1. After searching online and at local shops I bought a really nice Remington Rand 1911A1 in all original condition with apparently original parts and original parkerizing. After some time passed and as my 1911 interests increased, I decided to research the serial number. Low and behold, it was manufactured on May 3, 1943 the day I was born!

I ended up selling it several years later when money got tight and still regret it to this day. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. Carry on.
Wow, sorry you had to sell it. Thanks for sharing. I hope to one day get a 1911A1 from the CMP.

·
Registered
475 Posts
First 1911 was a new stainless Series 80 GCNM my father gave me in the early 1990s, before either of us knew all that much about 1911s or handguns in general. It’s a fairly crude, unimpressive gun. For sentimental reasons, I won’t sell it or modify it, but I don’t find it enjoyable to shoot. My experience with it actually delayed my entry into 1911 fandom for a number of years.

·
Registered
610 Posts
In 1991 I bought a new Colt Custom Carry Lightweight Commander.
at some point it had a slide failure and I send it back to colt.
They fixed it wrong - so I sent it back to them again, then they fixed it correctly.
I sold it not long after I got it back, I had lost faith in it.
I probably should have kept it...
Hindsight is always 20/20

JAG

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
My first 1911 was a 2015 build TRP. The important stuff is fitted pretty well but a couple minor issues were the motivation to learn a little bit about working on guns.
First project was doing the log man mod to the reluctant slide stop. Nice! Easy and gave me a bit of confidence.
Next, the mag release was crunchy and the fix was easy too, just took more time with the needle file.
A couple more small mods then learning to tune the trigger group really woke the gun up. Now it compares pretty well to more expensive 1911s.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
October 1918 Colt from the local gun store. It had been refinished and its UNITED STATES PROPERTY marking removed. Finish was thin so I had it reblued. Didn't hold up very well. Might get it refinished again some day.

While it is not shot often, I do shoot it, in defiance of people who tell me not to. Contrarian, I am.

Now I have a Turnbull-made Remington UMC commemorative and a Remington R1S.

Tom

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I was 18 I purchased a stainless Colt Gold Cup from a friend’s dad. I didn’t really know what a 1911 was back then and I only bought it because it was for sale! Sadly I sold the gun about a year later for rent money. Although ever since I have been fond of a full size 1911.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
863 Posts
Springfield Micro Compact. It was garbage.

Second was a Springfield Loaded (M9109) that as also garbage. I should have learned then.

61 - 80 of 227 Posts