1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to get my first Ed Brown and I haven't decided if I want an Executive Elite or a Kobra (possibly Kobra Carry). For the EB owners what was your first and why?

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Special Forces. It's the least expensive. It has a traditional bushing barrel and a non-ambi thumb safety, both of which I wanted. It's my only Ed Brown 1911 and I see what all of the fuss is about. They're great guns...

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Special Forces was my first. It was the first 1911 I got with a non-traditional front strap treatment.

I realized that while the Chain Link is really comfortable to hold, it doesn't offer as much traction as checkering. That's why I went with the Executive Carry for my second Ed Brown. My Classic Custom was a gift, and I'm obviously really happy with the checkering on it also.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I had years of experience with 1911's and guns in general and I chose an Executive Carry because I liked the traditional checkering and was acquiring it specifically for concealed carry.

Have been there and done that now, and if I was doing it again I might choose either an Executive Elite because the length doesn't make that much difference, or a Kobra Carry because it is unique and a couple hundred dollars less than the EC.

All about personal preference and purpose, nothing else when it comes to Ed Brown as they are all the same high quality.

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
I thought I was only going to get one, so I got a Classic Custom. Turns out I was wrong, but no matter. It has the options, and I wanted the ambi safety.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Executive Elite II. I really like the skip line checkering. About to order a Special Forces II.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
The EE and KC are pretty different. You might want to get both ... :)

FWIW, I prefer the checkering, but the KC definitely serves its purpose.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
My first and only EB is my Ed Brown Champion Molon Labe rollmark. I wasn't in the market for an EB at the time, but for $2k new in bag, I couldn't pass it up. Want a Stealth that my buddy has, just waiting for him to loosen his grip and put it on the block.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
My first and only Ed Brown is a 9mm Special Forces II ,thanks to a great member on here. I love the gun and daydream about getting a SS Executive Elite II in 45acp very soon!!!

·
Registered
12,287 Posts
My journey started like this: In the beginning...I was most fortunate that several LGS's had a couple of EB's on the shelf during my quest for a Brown. I wanted a KC because it screams EB and my eyes associate anything with a Bobtail as being an EB pistol.

I held a few different models, but none felt as connected to my hand as the KC. So, I chose the KC and the KC chose me - we've been happily married ever since. The End.:D

·
Registered
326 Posts
My first Brown was a Special Forces that I wanted as a home defense weapon. It was ordered as a Stealth Grey gun, with magwell, 10-8 rear sight and extended mag release. I am was considering a gold bead front sight but changed my mind when it was pointed out that you need reflected light to take advantage of the gold bead. Great gun, a delite to shoot.

Very happy with the SF, made me a much better shooter. Actually more comfortable to shoot than my Classic Custom front & backstrap treatment IMHO.

Carl

·
Premium Member
2,278 Posts
Mine was the EC in Gen III - Mar 2009. I still carry this EDC and love it. However I will admit when George (Gunslingers) called me after I ordered it and asked if I wanted it Gen III coated, I said sure why not - expecting to see the nice shiny SS model, the one in their catalog that year. I was a little surprised to say the least. But love the black and its held up nicely too. I have since modified it further, sites and etc... and I had the trigger & bushing coated as well - all black now...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I was drooling all over a brand new stainless Kobra (with no ambi safety, which I DID NOT want) I saw in a LGS. My wife seeing this bought it for me to celebrate our fifth anniversary. Absolutely love that gun.

She didn't stop there. She later bought me a stainless KC again with no ambi safety for (in her words) finally coming home from Afghanistan. Love that gun too.

To be honest I couldn't pick the one I like most. They are not unlike my kids in that I don't really have a favorite.

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
EB SS KC was my first high end 1911.

·
Registered
745 Posts
My first was a stainless EE. When I first saw it, I was obsessed. Most of you probably don't understand how that can happen. :rolleyes: My second was a Gen III SFC II. When I first saw it I was obsessed. :scratch: Actually, the golf ball pattern was my first non-checkered gun. I really like it.

They are both great shooters, but there's something magic about that SFC II.

·
Registered
919 Posts
My first Ed Brown was a bit different than current production as it began life as a Colt Combat Commander in the early 70's at Brown's Gun Shop. Importantly, many of the same techniques, developments, finish work and true custom features were continued by Ed when he started the manufacturing company and remain in current production. The referenced 1911 was carried for work 24/7, training and competition for nearly 3 decades accumulating well North of 100k trouble free rounds. Maintenance and repairs were limited to cleaning, lube, spring replacements and 1 extractor.

As far a suggesting a favorite in current production, my preference is the EE series (both full and carry variations) as I'm partial to checkering. Occasionally, I carry a KC, shoot it well, but prefer the learned grip with the checkering. Bottom line …. all shooters are different as my wife's choice is a KC, son's SF and daughter my old custom until recently.

Whichever you choose will be a good selection ….. it's a Brown.:D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Got my KC a couple weeks ago. First pistol, first 1911, first Ed Brown, first everything and what a sweet piece it is. Well woth the 6 months wait and the price tag.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts